Old May 18, 2003, 00:07   #1
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Excellent Alternate Faction Set
An excellent alternate set of seven factions has been created (not by me) and can be found at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SMACFacPack/. I've play-tested them and am very impressed.

In the game, this group is much more lively than the SMAC-7, and these seven factions are highly unpredictable. I'll play the same faction in several games, following nearly the same overall track, and have widely varied results in diplomatic relations and the final outcome.
Old May 18, 2003, 23:05   #2
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

A bit of backstory to set the stage:

The Society of Free Thought, a loose group of anarchists, dissidents, and punks, was organized on Earth with the goal of "shaking up" the Unity mission. Passing themselves off as loyal workers on the colony project, they hacked the Unity system so that a good portion of the crew, along with their planted members, were awakened ahead of schedule. Chaos and confusion ensued, but soon enough the crew members started coalescing into several distinct groups.

New Unity Industries coalesced around a core who had worked for the same firm prior to joining the Unity mission. As their experience had been with a Korean firm assisted and to some degree managed by the government, they believed that central plannng and control was a clear necessity for a successful colony.

The next group to organize started as a loose community -- the Catholics among the crew had begun to worship together, and even assembled a loose hierarchy headed by the one Cardinal among the crew. Their ordained leaders predictably hoped for a religious and somewhat regimented life on the new world.

Among those who belonged to neither group and were somewhat nonplussed by the unruly Society of Free Thought (or, as they became known, the Anarchists), two groups emerged. One of these formed out of discussion groups led by members of the science crew. Foremost among these was a historian, who advocated basing a new society on the preservation of knowledge, remembering Earth while learning from its mistakes. Someone suggested the name "Preservers of Terra," which caught on rather quickly as the informal groups were joined by those in search of some form of stability.

Meanwhile, a charismatic financier of the Unity mission, concerned that whatever society that was founded respect individual liberty and the free market system, gathered a group around him respecting individual rights, including many freethinkers who disliked the chaos and unthinking passion of the Anarchists. This group called itself the Chiron Cartel, and hoped to establish a vibrant and uncontrolled free market economy on Planet -- allowing for the occasional freely entered-into commune.

During all of these developments, one of the more loyal or precedence-minded crew members decided to wake up the command crew, who predictably were not pleased. They immediately declared a state of martial law and resorted to draconian measures in order to reassert the chain of command. Fighting ensued quickly, as many factions, including the Mission Loyalists, had opned up the ship's armories. During the conflict, a section of the Unity was depressurized, and most were uncertain how stable the remaining sections were. In the panic, each faction rushed to and was able to hold a colony pod.

One pod remained, six being taken and one being inaccessable due to the damage. This was filled by a random assortment of crew members answering to no common leader. Once they arrived on Planet, they discovered that they lacked industrial supplies, and were unable to build the infrastructure to support their population. A member of the biology staff discovered a way to alter their existing technology to derive subsistence from the Xenofungus, but this required an intensive hunting/gathering lifestyle. Within years, this group had become tthe Union of Tribes, a loose confederation of primitives with the biologist as its leader.

If these factions interest you, feel free to offer feedback, either on this lead or in the Yahoo! group that's listed above. And if you'd like to try them out, feel free to join the group -- you'll have the option to receive emails noting progress and tester comments, but this is not required. They are in the stage of development and testing right now, so don't expect a finished product, but any feedback or impressions you can give would be appreciated.

(Incidentally, the leaders of the Preservers, Cartel, and Anarchists are all based on real people -- myself, my co-designer, and a design consultant. This isn't central to the factions, which were all conceived of independently.)
Old May 22, 2003, 13:50   #3
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hmph - no way of seeing the site without joining... oh well

I like the factons from the description - any desire for a graphics designer?
Old May 25, 2003, 16:04   #4
AdamTG02
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Delian LeagueC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

To make it easier for all involved, the faction files are now public access on the site above.
Old October 22, 2003, 19:47   #5
AdamTG02
Prince

Development on this faction set has recently resumed; anyone interested may check the above Yahoo! group for updates.
Old October 28, 2003, 23:04   #6
SynthetGod8
Warlord

Local Time: 01:51
I still don't see access to the files
Old October 29, 2003, 14:15   #7
AdamTG02
Prince

Unfortunately, Yahoo! no longer lets us allow non-members access to the files. My best suggestion is to sign up for the group and opt not to receive emails. If you don't want to do this, PM or email me and I will email you the files.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but given the constraints of the hosting service, that's all I can offer. Your feedback would still be greatly appreciated.
Old October 30, 2003, 20:48   #8
Chaunk
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 01:51
Could you post a single zip that I could download. It makes it easy for people who are lazy

Ta!
Old May 31, 2004, 22:08   #9
AdamTG02
Prince

This project has recently resumed, after a months-long hiatus. Look for a "beta" version of the files to be posted here within the next month, barring delays. In the meantime, anyone who wants to can join the Yahoo! group and test the project in progress.

We also have a spot open for an artist, if anyone is interested.