Old May 18, 2003, 00:33   #1
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
System Shock 2 is now abandonware!
LINK EDITED BY MING... No come on guys... it isn't "perfectly legal" While some may consider it abandoned, they still own the rights to it... and you all know Apolyton's policy on this subject... RIGHT

This is a perfectly legal site(Abandonware mainly. The rest all have 'legal' content) It's a 250mb D/L so may not be for everyone!

Don't use a download manager (or set to a single thread) as more than 1 d/l at once will result in your I.P being banned.

This game really is amazing, come on, this game needs no introduction.

have fun.....

Last edited by Ming; May 26, 2003 at 18:52.
Old May 18, 2003, 00:45   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:51

If I didn't already have the game, I would be downloading it right now. Such a superb game!

I highly recommend this for anyone who doesn't have it already (and can download 250mb).
Old May 18, 2003, 01:54   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Downloading this can be my project for this week, I guess
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 18, 2003, 02:00   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Never played the game but I do have a cable modem. Is it worth the d/l?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 18, 2003, 02:14   #5
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Never played the game but I do have a cable modem. Is it worth the d/l?
It STILL puts a most current games in it genre(s) to shame, it's kind of an atmospheric FPS/RPG with a great storyline
Old May 18, 2003, 02:16   #6
DinoDoc
Deity

FPS/RPG? I've never played Deus Ex either. How hard is that to get into?
Old May 18, 2003, 02:55   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

/me hits DinoDoc with a frying pan.
Yes, it is definately worth the download! It has a great storyline, multiple different ways to play the game, an atmosphere unmatched by most current games. Since you have never played Deus Ex, comparisons are kind of hard to make. They exist in their own genre.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:17   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

It is one of the creepiest games ever. I won't say it's the creepiest game ever only because I haven't played them all.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:18   #9
DinoDoc
Deity

Bad news guys:

Quote:
For the record, Jeff Brown (Executive President, Corporate Communications at EA) says:

"We pride ourselves in aggressively protecting our intellectual property rights, and we frequently pursue those who try to distribute our games without permission."

There are no titles in the Electronic Arts library that they consider to be abandonware.

Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it"
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=65259
Old May 18, 2003, 03:29   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Then buy it from whoever's selling it -- it really is worth it.

If I had to buy it again, and could only do so at the original price, I would.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 18, 2003, 08:52   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Seriously this game is far and away the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Deus Ex is the same sort of game, if you liked that (and who doesn't) you'll like SS2.

Play it alone at night in a dark room and then post your pants cleaning bill for all to laugh at.
Old May 18, 2003, 08:58   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
I predict this thread will be closed. We all know about HOTU, but you can't promote them, or mention them on 'poly, because they're not really legal. Which is a shame, but what can you do?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:17   #13
reds4ever
Prince

sorry if that is the case, i posted this in good faith, the link was sent to me by a friend who assured me it was legal
Old May 18, 2003, 11:05   #14
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 03:51
I can't download it... I got an error... I really want this though, it's a great game, but I'm not buying it anyway so...
Old May 18, 2003, 21:51   #15
JCG
Prince

If someone on the UD boards provides a working buy link (or has already provided it), it'll soon be gone.

Anyways, it's not like that's the only way to get such games, you know....
Old May 20, 2003, 01:20   #16
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:51
I'd buy it if it's in the bargain bin.
Old May 20, 2003, 01:22   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
There are no titles in the Electronic Arts library that they consider to be abandonware.
That just means Trip Hawkins and his cronies are a bunch of jackarses.
Old May 20, 2003, 08:32   #18
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
That just means Trip Hawkins and his cronies are a bunch of jackarses.
That's what I assumed judging from the tone of the piece. Funny how a game receives no support and no notice until the developer notices poeple are trading it. Then it becomes the cornerstone of their library and they get all upset about the unfairness of it all.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:36   #19
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Abandonware?! DAMN|T! And I was saving my SS2 disc for my grandchildren's children as an heirloom.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:39   #20
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Old May 20, 2003, 17:45   #21
Skanky Burns

Nice, Anun.

While I don't mind that it isn't abandonware as I already have a cd, it is rather sad for those who haven't tried the game yet. It is virtually impossible to get.
Old May 20, 2003, 22:30   #22
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

I got it now, and it IS a freaking spooky game

However it doesn't get near Thief: The dark project In spookiness that is!!

The game looks pretty good, with a few good features that make it really interesting.. though the graphics are a bit outdated, but that was to be expected of course... Nevertheless, SoF, which I still play multiplayer, has nicer graphics... I do pay much attention to that as it contributes a lot to the athmosphere...

In any case, the zombies I have encountered already were pretty well done,.... luckily, they're not slow, cannon fodder like targets These frikking alarms are pissing me off though

Xerxes will be terminated this week!!! I'm really good at this kind of games
Old May 20, 2003, 22:50   #23
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I didn't realize that it wasn't abandonware until I'd already not-downloaded it. It's the truth!

Just beat it. I got impatient and cheated. That's always the way of games where they make you level up...
Old May 21, 2003, 04:39   #24
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger

Just beat it. I got impatient and cheated. That's always the way of games where they make you level up...
Speak for yourself. Personally I see no value in ruining the gameplay of a great game.
Old May 21, 2003, 08:47   #25
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, perhaps the rules on discussing abandonware on 'poly have been relaxed. I hope so, 'cos there's often no other way to get these classic games.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 21, 2003, 08:55   #26
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Well, perhaps the rules on discussing abandonware on 'poly have been relaxed.
I think it's because (thankfully) no one has reported this thread to the mods.
Old May 21, 2003, 09:07   #27
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Speak for yourself. Personally I see no value in ruining the gameplay of a great game.
Ah, it started out innocently enough -- I had a bunch of unresearched objects (several worm implants, a crystal shard, and a viral proliferator), and thought, "Hell, I'm never going to have a research skill that's high enough to research these things, but I'd really like to know what they are," so I gave myself some cybernetic modules to bump up my Research skill and also summoned the necessary chemicals. The problem is that once you start boosting your skills and summoning items it's difficult to stop -- soon I was summoning more ammo for my assault rifle, and then I was summoning more maintenance tools (oh, and might as well bump up that maintenance skill while I'm at it, eh?), and then I actually started using the worm implants that I'd cheated to research.

Ah, **** it. Just call it late-game cybernetic module redistribution -- making up for the fact that I wasted modules on Modify and Repair rather than putting them where they belonged, Hack, Maintenance, and Research.
Old May 26, 2003, 17:18   #28
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Damn you mean repair is useless?

I've noticed that as well.. maintenance is the thing ya need..
Problem is I don't know what is worth upgrading in and what's not.. and i'm likely not going to play the game again (I never do in SP) so I took the regular stuff...
What is pretty useful though, is improving in agility and +15% speed... Easy to dodge, and to escape self destruction drones etc.. Also handy for a quick retreat to reload or escape hordes of enemies..

soldier, normal weapons etc...
recently discovered that hacking is THE skill to upgrade in, psi seems unnecessary atm though... i'm good with guns so
Btw I'm playing the game at impossible... And I've reached deck 3 already!

annoying thing is the lack of ammo so I always have to beat up zombies with my wrench, nothing special.. but those self destruction drones are a frikking pain in the ass (they're great though: "Sir, where are you" or "Sir, don't be afraid, I need to ask you something" Yeah right )
Old May 26, 2003, 18:14   #29
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
annoying thing is the lack of ammo so I always have to beat up zombies with my wrench
Many a player that grew up on blastemups had to restart because of the lack of ammo in the game. At the harder levels you have to only use what is necessary.
Old May 26, 2003, 18:43   #30
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

abandonwear isn't legal. You can't post abandonwear links on this site.

I predict a quick closure.