Old May 18, 2003, 09:54   #1
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Star's Uni choices, opinions and advice wanted
The time for choosing a university edges ever closer and what's a better way to get a feel for a place than ask a huge forum full of well traveled, smart people?

Yes, I am this bored.

Below are my choices for university so far in order of preference and where they are located. Any opinions or funny stories about them would be appreciated, as well as any other destinations I may not have considered (in the UK).

1) Edinburgh University (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK)
2) University of East Anglia (Norwich, England, UK)
3) University of Bristol (Bristol, England, UK)
4) Cardiff University (Cardiff, Wales, UK)
5) I dunno
6) I dunno

*place I wanted to go to*) University of Toronto (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 09:56   #2
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I'd heard that the Huffington's dominate the footy leagues at Edinburgh, while the Scathsby's are the dominating force at East Anglia, but I confess that I'm not very familiar with Bristol or Cardiff.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:01   #3
Rogan Josh
Prince

What do you want to do, subject-wise?

I did my undergrad in Edinburgh and it was a pretty nice place to be a student.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:03   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
NYU. Come here. You can't resist.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:11   #5
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Boris, that was one well concealed come on...
Old May 18, 2003, 10:12   #6
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wanna do Biochemistry primarily but would not be adverse to taking a similar, related subject.

And boris, smookie, I keep telling you. I gotta see the cash before you see the ass.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 10:13   #7
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Concealed...?
Old May 18, 2003, 10:20   #8
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

damnit boris...now i dont know what to say.

A. that was sarcastic
B. i cant believe i misspelled concealed (which i dont know if i did or not)
Old May 18, 2003, 10:24   #9
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Starchild, snookums, I told you--I won't pay full price for something that is so obviously in in the Previously Viewed bin.

MRT, it's spelled correctly, though "well-concealed" should have a hyphen.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:25   #10
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

damn you for making me question my own spelling! and then pointing out poor grammar. although by now you should just ignore all grammar in my posts considering i never adhere to the rules of it.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:26   #11
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Is a van Gogh or Picasso any less valuable just because millions of people have seen it?
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 10:27   #12
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Is a van Gogh or Picasso any less valuable just because millions of people have seen it?
We're talking "viewed" as in the $ .99 rental at Blockbuster, hon.
Old May 18, 2003, 10:30   #13
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Says the man who would have to pay someone to press his play button.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 12:43   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:51
I think UBC is pretty good in biochemisty. If you want to go to UT, you might as well try U Wat, uless UT has a better biochem program. It's campus dependent, though.
Old May 18, 2003, 14:54   #15
Solly
Emperor

Choose your subject then choose your university. Even a good university can be crap in some departments. And some departments in under-rated universities can be at the top of the pile.

Unfortunately I can't be arsed to see how good some Biochemistry departments are.
Old May 18, 2003, 14:57   #16
Cruddy
Warlord

Big studie scene in the East Midlands - I'd take a look at Loughborough or Nottingham Trent to see how well the subjects are covered.

I doubt they'll be better than Edinburgh - but CHECK.

Wild horses wouldn't drag me to the Bristol scene. Too many people and not enough outlets for fun. Yeuk.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 18, 2003, 15:00   #17
Solly
Emperor

Midlands accents are terrible.
Old May 18, 2003, 15:09   #18
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
Midlands accents are terrible.
And almost unheard in Loughborough, where the student pop outnumbers the locals.

A far more important reason for avoiding the East Midlands is the level of street violence.

It's not for wimps.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 18, 2003, 15:28   #19
Solly
Emperor

Don't think Starchild would fit in there then.
Old May 18, 2003, 15:45   #20
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Anyone know of any corporate sponsorship programmes for undergraduates in which a company pays full or part of university costs in exchange for you becoming their whore afterwards?

My family has been mentioning this recently as their subtle way of saying "Do we look like we've got Ŗ3000 to spend on you sweety?"
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 16:28   #21
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 01:51
Starchild: Here are a couple of things that might help:

This is the Times overall University RankingTimes University Ranking

This is the published list of departments greaded "excellent" for teaching by the QAA Degree courses rated excellent.

They don't have Biochem on there, because it's done by department, so just look at Biology and Chemistry, as I presume it is jointly taught.

The HERO site might be of help too, other than that, look at prospectuses, either online or in paper, and then visit the ones you like. It's the usual way, but it works well IMHO.

UEA gives nice easy offers (or at least it did for my friends that applied there) and Edinburgh comes up very highly on everything about sciences I've seen.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 18, 2003, 16:32   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
A far more important reason for avoiding the East Midlands is the level of street violence.
That's only really Nottingham that's that bad. When it comes to violent crime, the big cities, London, Birmingham and Manchester are the bad ones. Northampton's fine for crime, but the Uni is absolute ****. I'd like to see someone find a worse one.

Old May 18, 2003, 16:33   #23
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh yes, I've been doing my research. Edinburgh and UEA want the same grades for Biochemistry (A-Level: BBC with A-level chem and biology). Edinburgh is also rated 5* in Biochemistry.

It doesn't hurt that everyone I mention my uni choices to raves about Edinburgh and how good it is.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 18, 2003, 16:36   #24
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Anyone know of any corporate sponsorship programmes for undergraduates in which a company pays full or part of university costs in exchange for you becoming their whore afterwards?
They're called co-op or internship programs, most unis in Canada offer them for the sciencey/engineering type fields.

I'm taking a variation of the co-op program, after my third year my school hooks me up with a company in my field and I work for them for a year, then come back and take my last year.

My brother is entering honours Mechanical Engineering at the Uni of Waterloo co-op, and how it works there is 4 months school/4 months work, etc for 5 years.
Old May 18, 2003, 16:39   #25
Drogue
staff

Starchild: 5* is research rating, and doesn't really affect undergrads at all. Look at teaching quality ones. However, there is no substitute for going there and seeing for yourself if you like it, would fit in etc.

Old May 18, 2003, 20:58   #26
cinch
Warlord

So what you're saying is... it's wiser to evaluate your uni choices, and pick the one that best suits your interests, rather than simply go to the one that's nearest to you?

Damn! If only I would've known!
Old May 19, 2003, 12:28   #27
Solly
Emperor

WALES

Economics Aberystwyth

Old May 19, 2003, 12:38   #28
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

I had a great time at Birmingham and they have a very good Biochem dept (well they did when I was there, not sure what it's like now)

Out of your list Bristol is a really cool place. My brother failed a Biochem degree there. It's slightly full of sloany Oxbridge rejects though.

We've got both kinds
Old May 19, 2003, 12:51   #29
Rogan Josh
Prince

You should be careful of the Times ratings. For example, I did my physics undergrad at Edinburgh and my postgrad at Durham (where I had to teach), so I am fairly well placed to compare the two. While Durham is definitely better for research, I thought the teaching at Edinburgh was first rate while that at Durham a little lacklustre (they let me teach for God's sake!). The Times review would have you believe it is the other way round, and I think this is mainly because of their rather bizarre criteria for 'good'.
Old May 19, 2003, 13:49   #30
Myrddin
Warlord

Some thoughts on ratings:

Teaching ratings are NOT about how good teaching is, but about how consistent it is ie atre all the forms filled in correctly

Reasearch ratings do not directly affect undergraduates, BUT good ratings show you that the department is full of good staff AND that they are well managed; this should mean that that they are also good at most other things that they do

Before you choose make sure you visit - most people's choices are gut feel and you can only do that in person