View Poll Results: What theme would you like to see in the next AU course?
No Trading 2 6.67%
Total War 10 33.33%
One-City Two 0 0%
Five-City 9 30.00%
Blind Research 4 13.33%
AU-X Revisited 0 0%
AU-X Reloaded 3 10.00%
Something else (please specify) 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18, 2003, 18:28   #1
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The next AU course (after AU401)
Hi everyone,

AU401 seems to have died, for some reason. The scenario was good, but there was probably a drop in interest with all the confusion around 'Poly going down and 401 being posted on MZO (etc., etc.). If you're still playing it and want the next course to be held up a bit, speak up now!

Ideas for the next course:

1. No Trading; you cannot receive or give anything to AI, other than Diplomatic Agreements (Peace Treaty, Alliance, etc.).

2. Total War; you must always be at war with every civ you have contact with.

3. One-City Two; a second OCC scenario.

4. Five-City; conquer the world with only five cities.

5. Blind Research; your next tech to research is always randomly selected (by rolling a die, for instance).

6. AU-X Revisited; re-do an old AU course.

7. AU-X Reloaded; re-do an old AU theme (for instance, "Island Hopping" but with an entirely different map from the original).

8. Other suggestions?

I know there have been more ideas, but I'll have to dig them up. Personally I'm leaning toward No Trading or Blind Research, saving Total War for everyone a later time (heck yeah, I'm scared!).

Dominae
Old May 18, 2003, 21:41   #2
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'd vote for nothing I can think of and certainly not 1-5.
Apart from the OCC, they're all warmogering scenarios and are highly artificial.

AU401 seems to have a record ratio of people claiming to have started it to AARs. I've finished and will post mine tomorrow. I certainly had fun with that one.

Keep the useful suggestions flowing everyone.
Old May 18, 2003, 22:23   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:53
Quote:
1. No Trading; you cannot receive or give anything to AI, other than Diplomatic Agreements (Peace Treaty, Alliance, etc.).
I've played several games (emperor,non-AU) like, and the strategy works a lot better then expected. Depriving the AI the money it's makes from the human civ is really slowing him down.
Old May 18, 2003, 23:00   #4
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
I've played several games (emperor,non-AU) like, and the strategy works a lot better then expected. Depriving the AI the money it's makes from the human civ is really slowing him down.
That's okay. The poing of the theme would be to force players to do their own research, sort of as a practice run for the Total War game.

Dominae
Old May 19, 2003, 00:47   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hmmm...

I think we are ready, having done a huge map and an OCC (Machiavelli- and diplo-focused games), for Total War.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 19, 2003, 04:57   #6
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:53
TOTAL WAR, definitely.

For a non-warmonger like me, I would like to try out TOTAL WAR.
Old May 19, 2003, 07:12   #7
Vlado
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:53
I went for the blind tech part. The total war seems like fun but I'm so unused to it so I must admit that I'm afraid to...

Will this be availible for Vanilla civ as well?
Old May 19, 2003, 07:20   #8
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

5 cities
AU-X revisited
AU-X reloaded

As you probably know by now ( ), I am not a warmonger, this is why I didn't play AU401.

But I'm in favor of any game which gives you the opportunity to play it according to your style and compare the results.

I'm also in favor of playing a game which makes you play on a different set as the usual one (as archipelago for all pangea-lovers).
Old May 19, 2003, 17:43   #9
Chemical Ollie
King

Total War or No Trading (don't you get a no trading game if you have total war anyway?) I like playing AU for several reasons.
1) I get to discuss the game with other people who played the same map.
2) I think the AU rules make more sense. Especially archers doing auto bombardment as defence, industrial infantry being stronger than cavallery and lethal air bombardment vs ships.

Question regarding the AU mod: I have only played 2 games to the end since I got PtW. Both were set up under AU rules. I noticed today that my hall of fame is still empty. Do only unmodded games get registered in the highscore list?
Old May 19, 2003, 18:06   #10
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
Total War or No Trading (don't you get a no trading game if you have total war anyway?)
Yes, which is why if we do Total War first, No Trading will seem sort of pointless afterwards.

Quote:
Question regarding the AU mod: I have only played 2 games to the end since I got PtW. Both were set up under AU rules. I noticed today that my hall of fame is still empty. Do only unmodded games get registered in the highscore list?
A game only gets registered in the HoF if it uses the original .bix rules file.

Dominae
Old May 19, 2003, 18:14   #11
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 17:53
5 - city
Old May 19, 2003, 18:26   #12
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 19:53
I voted for AUX reloaded. I think it would be valuable to replay some of those early themes that many of us were not around for. Also, if a different person creates the map for round two, then the original author will get the joys and practice of playing the old theme.
Old May 19, 2003, 23:27   #13
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 18:53
Re: The next AU course (after AU401)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
AU401 seems to have died, for some reason. The scenario was good, but there was probably a drop in interest with all the confusion around 'Poly going down and 401 being posted on MZO (etc., etc.).
That's me -- got busy and then lost with the whole 'Poly down for days episode and didn't make the effort to pursue to MZ (but kudos to MasterZen for making a home for the 'Poly regulars )

I still think that OCC ought be something akin to "auditing" a course -- valuable lessons to learn, but unless you love OCC, can become a little tiresome / repetitive IMHO.

My personal preferences are to preserve freedom of playstyle within AU, but at the same time trying to emphasize / focus on one or more aspects of the game for further study. I'd be interested in another "island hopping" or achipelago game -- I think we've only done one of these, and it seems to me that most posters habitually play a pangaea or continets game. The naval aspect of the game is not particularly strong, but IMHO many of us ignore it completely (and therefore miss some learning) and make do without it, because we can without suffering a loss but with, perhaps, missing opportunities.

Catt
Old May 20, 2003, 00:41   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:53
PLaying OCC makes me wonder just what I can do with 5 cities....

5CC would be fun, but wouldnt a 400 level course have to be diffcult? 5CC would be lot eaiser than OCC challenge
Old May 20, 2003, 02:55   #15
rush
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG The Mercenary Team
Prince

For me, the purpose of the University is to try out different playing styles that we are not familiar with, so as to improve our game.

It also involves comparing moves, rationale behind each move and decision. This is made easier because everybody plays the same map, under the same rules (eg OCC), and possibly same civilisations.

I voted for TOTAL WAR earlier.
But I forgot to mention - please include a nonPTW version please.
Old May 20, 2003, 03:00   #16
rush
Prince

For me, the purpose of the University is to try out different playing styles that we are not familiar with, so as to improve our game.

It also involves comparing moves, rationale behind each move and decision. This is made easier because everybody plays the same map, under the same rules (eg OCC), and possibly same civilisations.

I voted for TOTAL WAR earlier.
But I forgot to mention - please include a nonPTW version please.
Old May 20, 2003, 03:08   #17
cumi
Warlord

I vote for 5-city. OCC was for me also a challenge. The question is: on how big map you want to play the 5-city game? If you play it on huge map, it's like an OCC on standard.

I am currently playing -just for fun- on huge map, warlord -as I said, just for fun-. Some of the AIs has almost only 5 cities . I am trying to use, what I learnd in my lates OCC (AUxxx) game. Am not attacking anyone, but the funniest thing is, that the AI does it so, too. Unfurtunatly I don't have a screenshoot of the game, but is really funny. I started the game with the number of civs possible for huge maps (16 I think) and now everybody has its small empire and living in peace with each other . Only I have a bit more cities than other, I did better early REX-ing .

Can't wait for the next AU game,

cheers

cumi
Old May 20, 2003, 06:32   #18
Mountain Sage
King

Another thought:
A very devious game would be huge map, archipelago max. water, 16 civs.
Not many would 'really' like it, but the diplomacy skills and the logistics are a real challenge (+ a bonus for a domination victory?).
Old May 20, 2003, 08:32   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
Why not 24 civs? That way you are forced to kill some just to stay sane.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 20, 2003, 09:39   #20
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Why not 24 civs? That way you are forced to kill some just to stay sane.
Fine for me...
Old May 20, 2003, 11:12   #21
Dominae
Emperor

5CC is just as tough as OCC, because in 5CC you must win by Conquest.

Keep the votes comin'!

Mountain Sage: I understand that you're not a fan of warmongering. But I do believe that you could benefit from diversifying your playstyle somewhat. As is, you probably play the "same" game out every time you play (French, Huge map, peace and diplomacy, etc.). Will you not get tired of that pretty soon?

Dominae
Old May 20, 2003, 13:10   #22
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

While I'm not MS, I suspect the reason I would rather play a non-warmongering game now is the same: We've just played AU401.
Old May 20, 2003, 13:20   #23
Dominae
Emperor

Well, the two choices with the highest number of votes are both warmongering themes (5CC and Total War). I suspect few people played AU401, and want to kick some butt after the OCC AU.

Dominae
Old May 20, 2003, 14:12   #24
badman
Warlord

Is 5CC a warmongering theme?
I thought it would be a peacenicking scenario (I haven't played any CC though).
Old May 20, 2003, 18:12   #25
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 20:53
I'd go for AU-Reloaded, especially the island hopping theme I missed at the beginning of AU. I rarely play archipelago maps and it would be great to plan and execute frequent overseas invasions...

--Kon--
Old May 20, 2003, 23:29   #26
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Might be a daft or unpopular idea but seeing as I am wearing my best asbestos suit....

I recently tried a game in which I had a little island which was exatcly one city radius with 4 extra land squares, one extra square at each corner. The idea was to fully develope 5 cities with the productive capacity of the land squares of one city. It was an exercise in shifting labour between squares from which I learnt quite a bit about; managing tightly spaced cities, managing labour, getting full use out of the available squares (many of which were coastal squares), trading with AI which was vital for such a little empire to keep up on tech and for security from being gang-banged.

It was a rich island BTW.
Old May 21, 2003, 04:00   #27
rush
Prince

The courses so far, involve playing from the start, ie Ancient Age.

Can I request for new AUs with starting position in Industrial Age and in Modern Age ? That would definitely help to improve specific skills to get through these ages.

But there is a problem i think. The version (PTW/1.29) and the difficuilty level is fixed and cannot be changed.
Old May 21, 2003, 04:31   #28
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 04:53
I voted other.

How about this?

Human starts isolated on a distant continent (one size 1 city, a worker, maybe a scout, no army) about half way through the ancient age, and tries to take from 2 other AIs a number of "flagged" cities by 2050 AD. The AIs have the number and territory to their advantage, while the human only has a slight tech advantage and/or some money. Think of it as some sort of crusade.
Old May 21, 2003, 05:38   #29
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

Mountain Sage: I understand that you're not a fan of warmongering. But I do believe that you could benefit from diversifying your playstyle somewhat. As is, you probably play the "same" game out every time you play (French, Huge map, peace and diplomacy, etc.). Will you not get tired of that pretty soon?

Dominae
No offence taken, but I won AU401 by DOMINATION and look at my thread 'Pragmatic Ultimate Power' for another game won by DOMINATION (Carthage, standard map).
I will post there some other screenshots about another game (Egypt, standard map). I wiped out the Mongols, Chinese and Spanish from my continent by AD300.

Are those PP games? I wonder...

Having stated the above, just explain please how you hope to win on a huge map, archipelago, 24 civs without some lebensraum, i.e. without going to war?

Then of course, I could ask you 'will you not get tired of your civ-slaughter games?'

PS: Arrian, don't reply, I believe I already know your answer
Old May 21, 2003, 09:40   #30
cumi
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
I'd go for AU-Reloaded, especially the island hopping theme I missed at the beginning of AU. I rarely play archipelago maps and it would be great to plan and execute frequent overseas invasions...
I like this one, too. I don't like the "Total War" thing. Maybe I am too builder and too peacful...