Old June 2, 2003, 21:28   #31
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ah, I suspected as much.

By the way, have any of you even heard of the movie "The Shipping News"?
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 2, 2003, 21:34   #32
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
nope.

Is it good?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old June 2, 2003, 22:21   #33
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

I'm not sure, I haven't seen it.

I was just curious because it's a Canadian film, and generated quite a fuss up here. We even heard that it was doing fairly successfully in the US too, and I was wondering how much truth there was to that.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 3, 2003, 14:04   #34
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well it was an ok movie, rife with innacurate sterotypes of Newfoundland. My "squidburger" comment comes from that movie . . . I lived in NF for 33 years and never saw, tasted or even heard tell opf a squidburger. Its odd that with numerous "different" Newfoundland "delicacies" they had to make one up.

They also filmed the thing during the worst winter ever seen. It lefy an impression on the stars

THE SHIPPING NEWS, directed by LASSE HALSTROM, starring KEVIN SPACEY, JULIANNE MOORE, JUDI DENCH, JASON BEHR, CATE BLANCHETT produced by IRWIN WINKLER, LINDA ...
Old June 3, 2003, 16:20   #35
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:54
i think i saw it. some guy lived in toronto (or somewhere) and moved to his family home in nfld after his wife died...or something. there he became a reporter for the newspaper and wrote articles about all the ships that came into the town. hence, the shipping news
Old June 3, 2003, 16:31   #36
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
never heard of it
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old June 3, 2003, 16:50   #37
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
You forgot the *2. The formula is 2*Pi*r. That would be 7540*3.14*7540=...
* Maniac uses his cybernetic implant...
=47375.21722 kilometers
Are you sure the implant is at its working order?

Spoiler:
Might it actually be 2*3.14*7540=... A weak but friendly thought wave from a remote location ... "There must be other intelligance existing in this plannet! " Thought Maniac.

[Edit]Sorry I wrote this before I saw Drogue's post. But it is a friendly thought wave in any way so.

Grapefruit Garden

Last edited by Snowflake; June 3, 2003 at 16:57.
Old June 3, 2003, 17:07   #38
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 02:54
I haven't seen it but I had heard of the film. Big fan of Kevin Spacey.
Old June 3, 2003, 17:08   #39
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 01:54
BTW: I think it is about time to put out another newspaper Hercules.
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old June 3, 2003, 18:13   #40
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
I haven't seen it but I had heard of the film. Big fan of Kevin Spacey.

I believe it had a bigger run in Canada than in the US ( and even in Canada it was not in theatres long ) . I saw it on pay-per-view. It was ok although the actors did awful accents ( only a Newfoundlander would notice the difference). Pretty basic drama with some hokey local flavor moments thrown in
Old June 21, 2003, 02:53   #41
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Advertisement: the Pirate Merchantile System
...Advertisement......Advertisement......Advertise ment......Advertisement...

Announcing the Pirate Merchantile System, the Solution to all your Shipping Problems

Margaritaville - August, 2114

Cuspidore BrownBeard announced today the incorporation (under a P.E.A.C.E. "For-Booty" Commercial Charter) of the "Pirate Merchantile System", a Full Service, Scheduled, Civilian Transportation and Freight Forwarding Corporation. We specialize in the pickup, delivery and burial storage of booty of all sizes shapes and textures: "...that's why we say: 'Booty is our Business'".

The System announced a schedule of voyages today that spans the entirety of the P.E.A.C.E. faction waters ... and more, offering clean, efficient and economical shipping to all current (... and future) ports of call at prices you can't afford to pass up. Don't forget to ask about our "Introductory Special", for New Customers Only - Free Burial Storage (at a Most Secure Secret Location) of Your Most Valuable Booty; just run up your White Flag and a Pirate Merchantile System vessel will be right there to make the pickup.

Speaking of vessels, Cap'n BrownBeard introduced the latest Pirate Merchantile System vessel, BootyBoat PMS-002, 'The Booty-Check'. She was constructed entirely on Chiron, of mostly native materials, at Atoll Atomics of Margaritaville; she is a Fission Powered, Foil Class Cargo Ship loosely based on the "Transport" design found in the Datalinks with special propiratal (sic) enhancements. When asked about these enhancements by this reporter, particularly whether they included such old favorites as the "Secret Marine Detachment", or the "Concealed Gunports", the Cuspidore shouted said: "That's none of your #%$@ing business I'm sorry, the terms of our Charter with the P.E.A.C.E. authorities do not allow us to confirm or deny the existence of any P.e.a.c.e. Military Services modifications to any of our vessels". Glibly changing the subject, the Cuspidore went on to discuss the differences between his commercial organization, the Pirate Merchantile System or PMS and the military organization, the P.e.a.c.e. Military Services or PMS:

"It's very simple", he said. We're the "For-Booty" Corporation, and they are the "Free-Booting Operation".

The Cycon Reporter queried, somewhat blankly: "... er..... Huh?"

After a nod to the 'Recruiting Officer' in the corner long hard stare, the Cuspidore replied: "We are in business ... For-the-Booty... ... and they are in business ... of Free Booty.... If you still don't understand it, I'm sure that the PMS will send someone over to shanghai you (and teach you a new trade) help you; just run up the old White Flag and a representative will be right there.

Finally, Cuspidore BrownBeard outlined the upcoming schedule for the Booty-Check, so prospective "just-in-time" inventory managers and other customers could better prepare their 5 year plans.

2114 - Arriving in Margaritaville from points West, most recently a Voyage to Booty Burial Plots Storage Facilities on Treasure Islet, the most recent landfall on its "shakedown" initial cruise around the entire P.E.A.C.E. Faction Seahold on secret PMS missions (Editors note: true "shakedown" cruises are more commonly performed by the other PMS - However. the term "Maiden Voyage" is too dangerous to use around pirates, so the ambiguous "shakedown" cruise must be used instead). While in 'Rita waters, the Booty-Check will deliver some machinery for a work-study crew from Margaritaville A & M, conducting forestry experiments wherein geneticallly altered hardwoods (to be used in building mainframes for our forthcoming "Privateer" Class of Warships) are grown in special mineral-enriched soils. The Booty-Check will then receive its routine maintenance check and refitting at Atoll Atomics.

2115 - Departing Margaritaville for Tripoli - Please note, there is still available cargo space on this, the First Official Commercial voyage ever conducted on Chiron; P.E.A.C.E. is honored to be able to offer this For-Booty transport service to all citizens of Chiron, whether free or not, human or not, but regretably, not to the un-Bootied. Please contact the PMS for information on enlistment, a charity service offered to any willing or unwilling recruits; just run up your White Flag and a representative will be right there.

(winter) 2115 / 2116 - Optional tourist excursion to the world famous Googlie Monument (see holograveure)
Note: a donation of 2 Pieces of Eight is requested by the conservators of the Googlie Monument for their xenorum upkeep.

(mid) 2116 - Arrival at Tripoli. Tripoli is the Chironian World Capital Center of all Seagoing Commerce on Chiron and nominal home port of all the PMS fleet vessels. (Editors Note: The view of the anchorage at Tripoli is the only sight (save an empty cask of xenorum) known to bring a tear to the eyes of the Cuspidore, and that would only be on those occasions when he had "enough" xenorum.) A large contingent of passengers and cargo are expected to embark with the Booty-Check, so early reservations / freight consignment contracts are highly recommended for this leg of the voyage.

(winter) 2116 / 2117 - Departing Tripoli for (Henry) Morgan's Boot - be sure to catch the view of Tripoli Harbor (see holograveure) as you sail away; you will see why it is gloried as:
Tripoli, the Gem of the Ocean, fabled in songs across the 7 seas and in fine taverns in the 7 factions.

2118 - Optional In-Transit Tourist stopover at Pitcairn Island Maroon Park and "(Final) Destination" Resort.

2119 - Arriving at (Henry) Morgan's Boot.

2120 - Departing Morgan's Boot for Liar's Lair or Treasure Islet depending on customer demand (place your orders now to ensure a place on the schedule for your preferred destination).

"The Pirate Merchantile System ... Where Booty is our Business, ... and only incidentally our pleasure... "

...Advertisement......Advertisement......Advertise ment......Advertisement...
Old June 21, 2003, 05:51   #42
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

But what's the buffet like?
Old June 21, 2003, 13:06   #43
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 18:54
P.e.a.c.e, truly the cream of the crop when it comes to comedy
Old June 21, 2003, 23:01   #44
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:54
That's a lot of booty there....
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old June 22, 2003, 02:29   #45
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Is that two eyes at the top of Googlie Monument? What a enchanted view!
And "shanghai you", what a lovely phrase!

Grapefruit Garden