Old May 19, 2003, 22:19   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What I really like about the company I work for.
Now, bagel weds. are cool and donut Mondays are a nice touch but without a doubt beer Friday has to be the best. I mean how many companies even permit drinking on company property much less allot a beer budget for their employees? I admit the beer budget is quite modest and we must occasionally kick in a little extra to insure our beer rations are present, however, this is a gift to the prolatariat masses which most definitely earns our loyalty.

It gets even better though; when ever something important happens (like when someone gets a raise or a new person is hired) they are expected to buy the beer. Yes, "New Guy buys the beer" is a well established tradition here but least you think we are abusing the help you must know about one more little fact. The amount of beer you buy directly proportional to your position in the company. Thus a peon myself only has to buy a 6-pack while an new excutive must buy at least a case (if not two) in order to satisfy his debt.

It has been my good fortune that there has been a spat of promotions and new executive hires lately. So long live Beer Friday.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 19, 2003, 22:22   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Of course contrary to its name beer Friday doesn't just occur on Fridays. If you get promoted on a Tuesday then you will buy us our beer on Tuesday and we'll have to dip into the company fund for our beer at the end of the week.

In all a very admirable system don't you think? What traditions do your employers or schools have? I'm sure a few of you out there have some good ones.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 19, 2003, 22:26   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:57
From 2000 to early 2001, I worked at a Pizza Hut as a shift manager. We didn't have any official functions or days like that, but nearly every night I closed I had a bunch of friends over to the store. I'd shut everything down, turn the lights off, and in the back, have a mix of drunkeness and pot smoking fun! It was also nice to have a private place to take my GF at the time as I still lived with my parents at the time.
Old May 19, 2003, 22:29   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:57
Screwing the chick in the back of a Pizza Hut... smooth .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 19, 2003, 22:33   #5
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, Imran, anybody can get laid after dinner, flowers, and a room at the Ritz. But how many people here have the balls to call up their girlfriend just get some after a 12 hour shift at the restaurant... having her come to you?

Sava +1
Old May 19, 2003, 22:36   #6
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Screwing the chick in the back of a Pizza Hut... smooth .
Sava is a classy guy.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 19, 2003, 22:40   #7
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Of course contrary to its name beer Friday doesn't just occur on Fridays. If you get promoted on a Tuesday then you will buy us our beer on Tuesday and we'll have to dip into the company fund for our beer at the end of the week.

In all a very admirable system don't you think? What traditions do your employers or schools have? I'm sure a few of you out there have some good ones.
It must been Russian emigrants who exported this tradition to USA. We drink every time when someone is promoted, when new guy is hired, when someone have a birthday, when someone going to vacation, when someone is returning from vacation, when someone have a child born, when we celebrate the day of radio, when we celebrate paratroopers's day, the fisherman's day, the policeman's day, the French revolution's day etc...etc...etc...or when it's just regular Friday.
We just a bunch of alcoholics here.
Old May 19, 2003, 22:49   #8
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I think the more important question is that of when Russians abstain from drinking.
Old May 20, 2003, 00:13   #9
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
When we sleep.
Old May 20, 2003, 00:48   #10
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:57
TKG in San Diego had Friday brews during the last half hour of work. You were supposed to be clearing the dust off your desk while drinking a brew. And clearing the dust takes 1 minute. So you really had 29 minutes off. And the boss bought the beer. Very wise investment as there were lots of people in on saturdays, unpaid working hard. It was just a motivated place. 2370 La Jolla Village Drive (across from UTC).
Old May 20, 2003, 01:33   #11
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 01:57
There's not much i really like about the place i work

I like to advantage of the daft beurocracy sometimes tho..
For example if i absolutly crap for one week, then blitz it the next week I will take home Beer/Wine/Chocolate ect for being the 'most improved member' of the team, Or if i take a full month off for Holiday (and perhaps get some unpaid leave) get full points for pay reviews, which means pay rise in feb
Corperations eh
Cheers
Matt
Old May 20, 2003, 03:55   #12
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 04:57
I never thought not drinking beer would make me popular, but it happened at one my previous jobs. The company policy allowed one beer bottle per day per employee, during working hours. The company bought the beer, so it was always 1/2 litre bottles, if you're thinking of cheating. Since I don't drink beer, I always gave mine to someone else. That was a fun environment to work in.

At my current job, they have short day Fridays, so everybody can get a head start at their favorite pub.
Old May 20, 2003, 04:02   #13
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:57
Re: What I really like about the company I work for.
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I mean how many companies even permit drinking on company property much less allot a beer budget for their employees?
Uhm, isn't this normal for most companies?

Actually, if it's a cultural thing, this could explain why the company I currently work for is so rigid and uptight on this issue: it's an American company. All other companies I worked for in the past were Dutch and had company drinks at least once a week
Old May 20, 2003, 04:30   #14
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Edit: oops, I'm not sure what happened here. Apparently, after I posted the first reply I got an error from the database. I pressed Refresh and found the same message posted again.
Old May 20, 2003, 04:37   #15
Az
Emperor

It's called a doublepost.
Old May 20, 2003, 05:54   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by orange

Sava is a classy guy.

Old May 20, 2003, 16:23   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
TKG in San Diego had Friday brews during the last half hour of work. You were supposed to be clearing the dust off your desk while drinking a brew. And clearing the dust takes 1 minute. So you really had 29 minutes off. And the boss bought the beer. Very wise investment as there were lots of people in on saturdays, unpaid working hard. It was just a motivated place. 2370 La Jolla Village Drive (across from UTC).
In the golden triangle. A very classy place; you must be in finance or insurence or a similiar field.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:27   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Re: What I really like about the company I work for.
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Uhm, isn't this normal for most companies?

Actually, if it's a cultural thing, this could explain why the company I currently work for is so rigid and uptight on this issue: it's an American company. All other companies I worked for in the past were Dutch and had company drinks at least once a week
In the US this is a very rare thing. Many companies are afraid some one will drink to much, try to drive home, get into an accident, and then the company might get sued for "allowing" such a thing to happen.

I guess it is the legency of Prohibition and militant Protestantism.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:30   #19
Japher
Emperor

The last two companies I have worked for do that, my wives company does that, and I know a bunch of other companies that have beer binges everyweek. If it is a cultural thing it might be a Cali or Bay Area thing.
Old May 20, 2003, 16:39   #20
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

In the US this is a very rare thing.

It's less rare than you think. At my current place we have happy hour once a month. When I worked in the congress, we would have a beer or two and talk about the work we had done in the previous week. Excellent management gimmick.

However, Serb's workplace sounds pretty hardcore.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 20, 2003, 16:41   #21
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
When I worked in the congress, we would have a beer or two and talk about the work we had done in the previous week.
Actually, Reps do that everyday beacuse the need to kill the hanger over they got from their morning "pick me ups"...
Old May 20, 2003, 16:41   #22
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

One of the previous places where I managed, I used to keep a few cases of beer under the computer room raised floor. (kept it nice and cold) Whenever we had to go above and beyond, we'd pull it out.

One of the guys that worked for me is now doing motivational speeches, and he always recollects his experience by telling people the line I used to use.
Motivate with beer, not with fear.
(because fear only works when you're watching, and you can't afford to watch all the time.)
Old May 20, 2003, 16:55   #23
Worthingtons
Prince

Well i'm motivated by here at Apolyton, If i dont be nice i get to go to Mingapulco, and his eyes never shut
Old May 20, 2003, 17:19   #24
Oerdin
Deity

Another thing I like about my work is this: I'm a Geologist so I work away from the office alot. Many of the more senior Geologists don't really want to do their own field work; they don't want to get sweaty, sun-burned, biten by insects, and all the other things that happens when you get way out into the woods. I on the other hand love to be outside and would much rather be there then sitting at the office (even if I can't post on poly from out in the field ) so many people give me their field work.

So what's so good about that? What's cool about that is I end up working for a number of different people and no one, other then me, really knows for sure where I'm supposed to be or when I'm supposed to be there. Thus if I'm late for work or I leave a bit early people just assume I'm off doing something for someone else and no one ever says a word.

I'm also blessed because my cubical is right next to the back door and no one other then me ever uses the back door. So I get to go in and out without most people seeing me.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:23   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
guess it is the legency of Prohibition and militant Protestantism.
I think it has a lot more to do with the potential liability that the company is exposed to. Which you can then trace to the abdication of personal responsibility and over-litigiousness of American society.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.