Old May 20, 2003, 13:52   #1
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Baghdad civilian casualties, DU, etc.
The L.A. Times is reporting that 1,700 people were killed in Baghdad by the US invasion, 8,000 were wounded, and 1,000 are still missing. That's just the capital.

Baghdad's Death Toll Assessed

In the meantime, the Pentagon indirectly admits that DU is dangerous by ordering soldiers to stay away from areas contaminated with DU.

Remains of toxic bullets litter Iraq
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 20, 2003, 14:08   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:58
What did they base their count on? Saddam's claims? Are they counting total deaths or just military deaths or just civilian deaths?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:09   #3
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 03:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's going to be another Vietnam!
Old May 20, 2003, 14:10   #4
Oerdin
Deity

What happened to the hundreds of thousands of people who were going to die during the carpet bombing?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:11   #5
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 01:58
We're doing this for their own good.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:12   #6
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
That's pretty lame, Che.

You're like stacking up everything you pick up around, against the war, and if that's all you have, that's rather pityful.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:13   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:58
It's really sad... I think the liberals were really disappointed at how few people died compared to their predictions.

Every life lost in the conflict is sad... no matter who it was... I'm just glad that the number wasn't any higher.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:15   #8
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:58
Let's not forget that most of us who opposed the war opposed it because of what would happen afterwards. That still has to play out.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:16   #9
Sandman
King

Local Time: 02:58
That death toll figure is not that bad for a city of Baghdad's size. Unless order is restored, however, it will climb and climb due to infectious disease taking hold.

As for the DU, the various teams searching for weapons of mass destruction should be given the task of cleaning it up, immediately, rather than chase non-existant threats.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:22   #10
Az
Emperor

Quote:
That death toll figure is not that bad for a city of Baghdad's size. Unless order is restored, however, it will climb and climb due to infectious disease taking hold.
Why the misconception that if facilities are not working, people will immediately die? humans are pretty reselient creatures, really.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:23   #11
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Let's not forget that most of us who opposed the war opposed it because of what would happen afterwards. That still has to play out.
well i dont know about most people - there were plenty of people saying that even if regime change were good, it wasnt worth the 500,000 or so civilian casualties that would result from war. I think that was a big part, explicitly or implicitly of most "cost benefit" calculations that were against the war.

After all, most of those who opposed the war said that they would support Saddams overthrow, if it was done by the Iraqi people and not by coalition forces. If it had been done by the Iraqi people most of the postwar problems would still exist.

That said, it is certainly to early to do a final "cost benefit" on the war - both the political situation in Iraq, and the longer term impact on international relations are still too unclear.

Nonetheless the claims of 500,000 to a million civilian casualties were wildly wrong. Even if the LA Times' s number is correct, and is not just copied from the Herrold website, and even if you double it for the rest of the country, that is still low compared to the annual murders committed by the regime.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:24   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
What did they base their count on? Saddam's claims? Are they counting total deaths or just military deaths or just civilian deaths?
They went to the various hospitals in Baghdad for a count. They are just counting civilian deaths.

Ming, actually, I'm rather glad that civilian deaths were comparatively low. Most progressives are (I count speak for liberals).
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 20, 2003, 14:26   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Quote:
Why the misconception that if facilities are not working, people will immediately die? humans are pretty reselient creatures, really.
there has already been a cholera outbreak in Basra, but so far no deaths. Cholera, fortunately is treatable, as is diarea. The reason for the death rate from those illnesses in the 3rd world is lack of resources for treatment. In Iraq the coalition is able and willing to provide the resources to keep the death rate low until they can full restore water and power.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:27   #14
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Ming, actually, I'm rather glad that civilian deaths were comparatively low.
I know you are che... but I don't get that feeling that some of the other anti war people are.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:31   #15
Az
Emperor

LotM, a spread of those deseases can be prevented by sanitation.

"Don't drink from the toilet, kids.".

I realize that utilities are in the crapper, but from some people here, you get the feeling that people are supposed to drop like flies in Iraq.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:37   #16
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

well i dont know about most people - there were plenty of people saying that even if regime change were good, it wasnt worth the 500,000 or so civilian casualties that would result from war. I think that was a big part, explicitly or implicitly of most "cost benefit" calculations that were against the war.
That's a fair comment. I don't think that most people could have predicted that the Iraqui armed forces just wouldn't fight. I certainly thought that casualties would be higher. But that doesn't prevent us from noticing the renewed vgour of terrorist attacks and the simmering ethnic problems in Iraq.

Quote:
After all, most of those who opposed the war said that they would support Saddams overthrow, if it was done by the Iraqi people and not by coalition forces. If it had been done by the Iraqi people most of the postwar problems would still exist.
Any revolution is going to create problems. However, an overthrow of Saddam by the Iraqui people would have created very little in the way of political problems compared to foreign occupation.

Quote:
That said, it is certainly to early to do a final "cost benefit" on the war - both the political situation in Iraq, and the longer term impact on international relations are still too unclear.
That's true. But at the moment it doesn't look too good. The usual complaint is that the US is lousy at dealing with the aftermath of war.

Quote:
Nonetheless the claims of 500,000 to a million civilian casualties were wildly wrong. Even if the LA Times' s number is correct, and is not just copied from the Herrold website, and even if you double it for the rest of the country, that is still low compared to the annual murders committed by the regime.
I suspect it's probably too low. But then again it is never going to get up to 500 thousand.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:38   #17
Oerdin
Deity

On a more upbeat note the BBC is reporting that all Iraqi government employees are now getting paid again. Only now their getting paid in dollars and Uncle Sam is footing the bill. The explination is that the old Saddam currency is nearly worthless and if we're going to pay the Iraqi policeman, hospital workers, and what not then we should atleast give them money which isn't worthless.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:39   #18
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
if we're going to pay the Iraqi policeman, hospital workers, and what not then we should atleast give them money which isn't worthless.
Then why are we paying them in US Dollars?
Old May 20, 2003, 14:40   #19
Sandman
King

Local Time: 02:58
Quote:
Infectious diseases are most deadly towards children, who compose a substantial part of the Iraqi population. Delivering a baby in Iraq must be a blast for the mother, as well.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:45   #20
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Let me add that the left's cynicism about the motives for the war is looking more correct every day.

There seem to be no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and no real evidence that they had significant amounts. Any justification of the war from that angle is rightly now seen as ridiculous. Add to that, that sensible people don't believe for a minute that the US was interested in liberating the Iraqui people and you have a good case for cynicism.

Add to that the semi-withdrawal from Saudi Arabia and this can be seen as what it is - an attempt by the United States to consolidate its military control over this strategically important region (they can now pressure the Saudis much more effectively) - which is what I and others have been saying all along.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:45   #21
Az
Emperor

Should've used pills or condoms, then.

Look, I am not saying this is good. But when I see a figure like 500,000...
Old May 20, 2003, 14:48   #22
Oerdin
Deity

These death toll figures can only be seen as the best possible out come. Also I don't share Agathon's belief that a native revolt against Saddam would have resulted in a better situation; much more likely it would have been long and blood resulting in many more deaths and most likely the creation of another evil repressive state like Iran.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:49   #23
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

That's a fair comment. I don't think that most people could have predicted that the Iraqui armed forces just wouldn't fight.
A lot of prowar people did predict precisely that. I believe I did, right here on this forum. We were told that we were naive and were underestimating Iraqi "nationalism". That we were right reflects not just luck, i think, but that our view of what it means to live under this kind of regime was more accurate than the view of those who expected bitter resistance from the people of Baghdad.

Quote:
I certainly thought that casualties would be higher. But that doesn't prevent us from noticing the renewed vgour of terrorist attacks and the simmering ethnic problems in Iraq.
Its far from clear if there is any connection between the AQ attacks and the war in Iraq. Certainly theres been no flow of millions of new recruits. The simmering ethnic problems were not predicted by most making the antiwar case. Instead an ethnic bloodbath was predicted. The simmering problems are far less.

Quote:
Any revolution is going to create problems. However, an overthrow of Saddam by the Iraqui people would have created very little in the way of political problems compared to foreign occupation.
I dont see that. Looting, infrastructure problems, insecurity, Iranian intervention, ethnic rivalries, violence by regime holdouts would all have been just as bad, if not worse.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:59   #24
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Let me add that the left's cynicism about the motives for the war is looking more correct every day.

There seem to be no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and no real evidence that they had significant amounts. Any justification of the war from that angle is rightly now seen as ridiculous. Add to that, that sensible people don't believe for a minute that the US was interested in liberating the Iraqui people and you have a good case for cynicism.

Add to that the semi-withdrawal from Saudi Arabia and this can be seen as what it is - an attempt by the United States to consolidate its military control over this strategically important region (they can now pressure the Saudis much more effectively) - which is what I and others have been saying all along.
if you're losing the argument, change the subject. If we had found lots of WMD right away, and we had more civilian casualties, we would have been told that the only thing that mattered was the extent of civilian casualties. So naturally in a thread about civilian casualties, which were low, it is necessary to bring up WMD.

Well, OK. You are confusing the prudential and legal cases for the war. The prudential case for war certainly included the prospect of being better situated to bring pressure on Saudi Arabia. need I remind you that 3000 of my fellow citizens were murdered on 9/11 by a terrorist group that received financial (and probably other) assistance from within the Saudi kingdom, and that the Saudi kingdom is the center for radical wahabi incitement? WMD where the casus belli - and let us recall, UNSC 1441 required Saddam to prove that he DID not have WMD - there is no evidence he was not in violation of that - if he had really destroyed all WMD prior to 2002 (which i do not believe) why didnt he encourage his scientists to cooperate? Was it to keep the IMPRESSION he had WMD, which would give him the same regional leverage but at less expense? If so then we were certainly right to go after him, even if no WMD are found.

As for democracy, we certainly intend to do that, its essential to our grand strategy against terrorism in the region.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:02   #25
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Should've used pills or condoms, then.

Look, I am not saying this is good. But when I see a figure like 500,000...
The only poster on this site I know of you used that figure of expected deaths from this latest war was paiktis, and he claims it came from the UN, which is as legitimate a source as any.

The US is now putting off Iraqi self-rule "indefinately."
Old May 20, 2003, 15:03   #26
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'm glad somebody went in and tried to count. Of course it can't be 100% accurate, but it at least provides a basis for rational discussion of the human cost of the war.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:15   #27
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Che, This is great news. Such low casualties are a credit to the planning of the US military and the American Government. Obviously many times this were saved, if the mass graves we are uncovering are any indication. I think it is right big of you to step up with something that so obviously justifies the Administration policy!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 20, 2003, 15:17   #28
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

No, we're arguing about whether it will be called an Iraqi Interim Authority, an Iraqi Interim Government, or an Iraqi Interim Administration. Iraqi politicians got all hot and bothered that we were gonna call it an "authority" - they wanted to call it a "government" we want to save that for the eventual elected government (1 to 2 years, not indefinitely). Compromise is will call it "administration" and oh yeah, we wont have it in place by end of May, as Garner had promised. Largely because while progress on self-rule has been good in south and north, its been almost non-existent in Baghdad, the area supervised by the now fired Barbara Bodine. Bremer will need some more time to get Baghdad in order, and to clean up ex-Baathists.

Some of the delay has apparently been caused by internal squabbling between DoD and CIA, which favored the ex-Baathists. Hopefully the appointment of Bremer means thats done for.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:17   #29
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:

No, we're arguing about whether it will be called an Iraqi Interim Authority, an Iraqi Interim Government, or an Iraqi Interim Administration. Iraqi politicians got all hot and bothered that we were gonna call it an "authority" - they wanted to call it a "government" we want to save that for the eventual elected government (1 to 2 years, not indefinitely). Compromise is will call it "administration" and oh yeah, we wont have it in place by end of May, as Garner had promised. Largely because while progress on self-rule has been good in south and north, its been almost non-existent in Baghdad, the area supervised by the now fired Barbara Bodine. Bremer will need some more time to get Baghdad in order, and to clean up ex-Baathists.

Some of the delay has apparently been caused by internal squabbling between DoD and CIA, which favored the ex-Baathists. Hopefully the appointment of Bremer means thats done for.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:17   #30
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote: