Old May 20, 2003, 14:28   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Officials: 'Chatter' hints at major attack
US officials are stating they believe the recent attacks in Saudi Arabia and Morocco may be just a prelude to another 9/11 style attack in the US. They are basing this upon "chatter" they have been hearing on intercepted Al Qaeda communications and upon human intelligience from recently captured Al Qaeda operatives. British and Israeli officials recently grounded their countries' planes leaving from several east African countries based upon similiar intelligence data. This is according to a newly released article on CNN. Also the BBC is reporting that Saudi Arabia has closed access to the US and UK embassies based upon intelligence reports that Al Qaeda might be planning to attack those countries' embasses in Saudi Arabia. The Australian government has also intiated new security measures for its embassy in Saudi Arabia.

So what do you folks think? Is AlQaeda capable of pulling off another 9/11 style attack or are the fears over blown?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:34   #2
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 20:58
The threat appears to mainly be in Saudi. British and American Embassies have been closed for the time being.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,87365,00.html
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 20, 2003, 14:34   #3
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think it can. and it will. And the war with Iraq has nothing to do with it, for better or for worse.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:51   #4
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:58
Oerdin, they Al Qaeda can only pull off another 9/11 here in the United States is if it can assemble a cell and remain anonymous even while the entire United States is looking out for suspicious activity. The only way they could do that is is if there were Americans who supported them. However most Moslems in United States say they are against Al Qaeda.

What gives me pause, though, is that trooper who attacked the 101st Airborne headquarters in Kuwait. He was an American convert to Islam. He appeared to be very radical and very anti-American. This tells me that at least some Moslems in United States could be on the side of Al Qaeda.

But, hopefully the FBI knows who they are watching closely.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:54   #5
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 01:58
Another sky is falling Armageddon alert.

Guess it's time once again to stock up on duct tape and Lunchables.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 20, 2003, 14:59   #6
Oerdin
Deity

DD: So does that count as a "this is over blown" vote?

Ned: There are always traitors in every group. Anything is possible.

Azazel: I'm with you. I think it is possible but I don't think it is very likely. If they could they'd be attacking inside western countries instead of blowing up night clubs in Morocco.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:04   #7
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
DD: So does that count as a "this is over blown" vote?
Not necessarily. But the impact of non-specific "everyone freak out" warnings tends to fade over time. I remember from 7/4, Memorial Day, 9/11 anniversary.....
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:07   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 21:58
alert level raised to orange today
Old May 20, 2003, 15:12   #9
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:58
Al Qaeda = Emmanuel Goldstein
that´s what I actually believe. but maybe I only read too much.
Old May 20, 2003, 15:18   #10
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 19:58
It's an orange alert! Do you know where your Tang is?
Old May 20, 2003, 15:31   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

At least it isn't an off white alert
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 20, 2003, 16:01   #12
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:58
I don't think they'll be able to do any big attack in the USA right now. Other countries, well...
Old May 20, 2003, 20:12   #13
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
What gives me pause, though, is that trooper who attacked the 101st Airborne headquarters in Kuwait. He was an American convert to Islam. He appeared to be very radical and very anti-American. This tells me that at least some Moslems in United States could be on the side of Al Qaeda.
Based on what? All that has come out from the investigation and background info so far is that the guy was a long service E5 with an attitude problem regarding race and being passed over for promotion. Classic sad sack material plus fragging a couple of officers he didn't like, with a little extra race twist.

Nothing at all indicating any Islamic aspect, except for a lame initial attempt to make it look like an infiltrator threw the grenades by yelling Islamic slogans.
Old May 20, 2003, 20:16   #14
Worthingtons
Prince

Maybe next time they will try for England?
England has not yet been Hit.
We have our Canary Wharf Tower.
Old May 21, 2003, 02:31   #15
Q Classic
Emperor

does anybody know the history of the alert threat? as in, when it's been yellow, when it's been orange...?

what i honestly don't understand about the scale is why we even have "green" or "blue", because so long as this administration is in power, it'll always be at least yellow, and so long as we remain american, it's only logical to be at least yellow...
Old May 21, 2003, 02:41   #16
Edan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
does anybody know the history of the alert threat? as in, when it's been yellow, when it's been orange...?

what i honestly don't understand about the scale is why we even have "green" or "blue", because so long as this administration is in power, it'll always be at least yellow, and so long as we remain american, it's only logical to be at least yellow...
IIRC, it's been orange 3 times. Once in September on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Once in Jan or Feb. And now.
Old May 21, 2003, 03:02   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:58
I really feel sorry for the guy who has to keep changing them lightbulbs all the time.
Old May 21, 2003, 03:34   #18
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:58
Hopefully they don't decide to hijack my flight tomorrow. That'd kinda ruin my day.
Old May 21, 2003, 03:40   #19
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Based on what?
What based on what? That there is a sympathizer field for islamist terror in the US?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 21, 2003, 04:15   #20
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It will be delusional to say that there will be more attacks.

There will be attacks.
Not like Sept 11, and not daily "small" attacks like in Israel, but definitely similar to the medium sized Riad&Casablanca attacks.
Old May 21, 2003, 08:12   #21
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wonder what sort of attack they will try to pull? Do they have anymore access to chemical or biological weapons? Could some have been smuggled out of Iraq before it fell? I doubt the latter. If Iraq had had significant stocks of NBC weapons surely they wouldn't have been able to transport the entire stock, inn whih case their should be at least some evidence left behind.

If NBC attacks aren't feasible then what? They've tried vehicular bombs here with results that were less than they had hoped, still, such weapons have been the stock in trade for Islamic terrorists for 30 years, so that might be what they try. Most of the good targets in Washington however are not easily reached by vehicular bombs. Most of the major Federal buildings (White House, Capitol, Supreme Court) are set back from the street and woul be insulated from a blast by distance.

Would they try hijacking airplanes again? Are the airlines adequately protected?
Old May 21, 2003, 09:25   #22
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

One big truck/car bomb that blows up adjacent to an average sized residential building can take the building down. If the building has an underground parking lot and they can get in there, it will be even easier.

10 floors, 4 apartments per floor, 1 family of 5 per appartment, half of them home and you have 100 dead. And that doesnt include nearby bystanders, etc.

High rises may be well secured, but I dont think anyone will have problems with knocking down residential buildings, if the explosives are present.

Even with a relatively small number of dead, it will add a lot of fear since even homes wont be safe.
Old May 21, 2003, 09:28   #23
Az
Emperor

a truckload of explosives, with a two or three "field operatives" with Assault Rifles, at night.

bang.
Old May 21, 2003, 09:28   #24
HershOstropoler
Settler

"They've tried vehicular bombs here with results that were less than they had hoped"

Yes, but that's a wild card - as could be seen with a building in Oklahoma.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 21, 2003, 09:29   #25
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Without extensive code breaking, 'chatter' could mean almost anything. Like "Did you see the hot new babe with the slinky burka at the International House of Cous-Cous".
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old May 21, 2003, 09:43   #26
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
"They've tried vehicular bombs here with results that were less than they had hoped"

Yes, but that's a wild card - as could be seen with a building in Oklahoma.
Not only that.

The goal is not to kill, but to terrorize. Until now people knew that not getting close to landmarks like the White House, the Empire State Building, etc will keep them safe.

But what if residential complexes start blowing up? Then almost everyone will be in danger.
Old May 21, 2003, 10:05   #27
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I think a rash of snipers would be the most effective from a terror standpoint. Look how disruptive the last sniper was. Imagine 25 to 50 of them spread across the country.
Old May 21, 2003, 10:15   #28
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
alert level raised to orange today
f33r me

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 21, 2003, 10:27   #29
Zkribbler
Deity

[Zkribbler does a quick check to ascertain how much money has come from Washington to help finance the homeland security efforts of states, counties and municipalities. Despite the promises of the Bush administration, the amount remains at $0.]
Old May 21, 2003, 10:35   #30
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

There are certainly Islamic radicals in the UK who might get involved in such an attack. Some of these groups have as their agenda turning the UK into an islamic state.

We've got both kinds