Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20, 2003, 17:26   #31
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Zepsters, of course.

And Snappy, naturally, has absolutely no taste.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old May 20, 2003, 17:28   #32
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I personally think that the inspiral song for Led Zep was "When the Levee Breaks". I havent seen anything like that kind of mixture of blues, pentatonics and rock before, and I dont think anyone came close to repeating it until Oasis' wonderwall.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:31   #33
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Philistine!
I objct to being refered to as that for not likeing one particular band. That is like saying someone knows nothing of art because he does not like Van Gogh. The fact I find Led Zep utterly boring, does not make me a philistine. I know it was intended as a joke but I wanted to make that point.

Quote:
Zep managed to master various styles of music and combine and go beyond them to create their own (endlessly copied) sound. If you don't like endless guitar solos then I guess you don't like the guitar.
Actually, I like the guitar a lot, most of my favourite bands use the guitar heavily. I just find Led Zep's solos are boring and sound unoriginal nowadays. I don't really mind who came first, and in their day, Led Zep led the way, but nowadays, I think we have better examples.

Quote:
Radiohead and all those "pop groups suffer from the problem that they can't really play.
Um... Radiohead are a guitar band, and I wouldn't really call them a pop band. Pob bands generally release singles that chart

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Last edited by Drogue; May 20, 2003 at 17:37.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:39   #34
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Actually, I like the guitar a lot, most of my favourite bands use the guitar heavily. I just find Led Zep's solos are boring and sound unoriginal nowadays.
Excessive imitation can do that.

Quote:
Um... Radiohead are a guitar band, and I wouldn't really call them a pop band. Pob bands generally release singles that chart
They aren't Britney, of course; but they are in my book an "album" pop band like Oasis. I guess I've never been able to raise much musical interest in this sort of stuff.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:39   #35
Whaleboy
Prince

I think he means "pop" in the sense that it is a little "simplistic" (agathon correct me if I am wrong).

They may be a guitar band, but I could probably play better! Ok maybe not, but hey I'm close... I can now play all but the instrumental of Stairway to Heaven.

You look at music in the current context. For me, the first always has something of a natural advantage. I view in historical context, but even today, I think nothing compares to led zep, if they released Led Zeppelin I tomorrow, I'd still say they are unsupassed.

You say you think we have better examples? Care to provide any? And dont say foreplay *cough* coldplay, they are good, but monotonous, a little travis-esque, and rather boring. The guitar capabilities is hardly stellar.

"I just find Led Zep's solos are boring and sound unoriginal nowadays"

Latterly, that is because people copy Led Zep. Find the derivatives unoriginal. Besides, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Satriani, Slash, Harrison etc, in a class entirely of their own. I dont think we have anyone like that active today.

The instrumentals, as well as lots about Led Zep, work on so many different levels. From the poetic, to the metaphorical, even to the metaphysical (I have a weird mind). No other band does it for me like led!
Old May 20, 2003, 17:39   #36
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Radiohead is basically the modern-day equivalent of Led Zeppelin. Boring, mature elevator music for bloodless people who don't actually like rock.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:42   #37
Whaleboy
Prince

Dont make me refute my love of free speech! jk
Old May 20, 2003, 17:45   #38
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
Radiohead is basically the modern-day equivalent of Led Zeppelin. Boring, mature elevator music for bloodless people who don't actually like rock.
Hey! I like both bands a lot! And that described me perfectly!

"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:50   #39
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Naw, but come on, what's the point of Rock? Classical music and Jazz have much more sophistication. Where rock excels is in rawness, in the groove, in the ability to get people up on the dancefloor, in the extreme hardness, in the multiple layers of memorable hooks, all areas where "sophisticated" music lags behind. Why not indulge in what makes Rock great? Or, if you want your music unmemorable, soft, pretentious and without any kinetic ability whatsoever, but revelling in non-human technical proficiency and advanced harmonics and melodies why not switch to Modern Jazz or Contemporary Classical Music? If you like that sort of crap, I'm sure Karlheinz Schtockhausen is well more intelligent than bloody Jimmy Page or Thom Yorke.
Old May 20, 2003, 17:52   #40
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Quote:
Excessive imitation can do that.
Very true. Led Zep may be original, but not the best IMHO.

Quote:
They aren't Britney, of course; but they are in my book an "album" pop band like Oasis. I guess I've never been able to raise much musical interest in this sort of stuff.
Hmmm, they sold less than Led Zep IIRC. Who isn't pop then?

Old May 20, 2003, 17:58   #41
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Naw, but come on, what's the point of Rock? Classical music and Jazz have much more sophistication. Where rock excels is in rawness, in the groove, in the ability to get people up on the dancefloor, in the extreme hardness, in the multiple layers of memorable hooks, all areas where "sophisticated" music lags behind. Why not indulge in what makes Rock great? Or, if you want your music unmemorable, soft, pretentious and without any kinetic ability whatsoever, but revelling in non-human technical proficiency and advanced harmonics and melodies why not switch to Modern Jazz or Contemporary Classical Music?
Because it's different. I don't call Radiohead rock. Their earlier albums were, but Kid A and Amnesiac? More avant guarde, or just generally weird stuff. I like that, I find it interesting, and enjoyable to listen to. Elevator music? I thought that was what Bach was for. Radiohead isn't what I'd class as background music. I like Modern Jazz (I play it) but I find it missing something at times. And Classical, I like big orchestral numbers, but often I find it boring and stuff that's good for background listening, but not something I want to listen to hours of.

Quote:
If you like that sort of crap, I'm sure Karlheinz Schtockhausen is well more intelligent than bloody Jimmy Page or Thom Yorke.
Well, I doubt that. Both Jimmy Page and Thom Yorke are geniuses in my book. Schtockhausen is pretty good,a nd incredibly intelligent with his music, but I couldn't say he was better or more intelligent.

Old May 20, 2003, 18:05   #42
Whaleboy
Prince

"Led Zep may be original, but not the best IMHO"

I doubt that the likes of Jimmy eat world, coldplay or radiohead can compete. Not even noel gallagher comes anywhere close, and IMO he is the best in Britain at the moment, well... if eric clapton wasnt still alive!

Besides, album naming of led zep was genius!

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV (the second greatest album of all time, only bat out of hell was better imo)

There were others of course.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:11   #43
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
I doubt that the likes of Jimmy eat world, coldplay or radiohead can compete. Not even noel gallagher comes anywhere close, and IMO he is the best in Britain at the moment, well... if eric clapton wasnt still alive!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would say completely the other way round.

Old May 20, 2003, 18:15   #44
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:59
If we are talking late 70s/early 80s, I am going to have to go for Judas Priest (burnt a metal mix with Breaking the Law, Living After Midnight, and United yesterday), Iggy Pop (mmm, Lust for Life rocks), and AC/DC (more rock than metal IMHO, but loads of great stuff).

I've checked out War Pigs and Babe, I'm gonna leave you after seeing them recommended on Apolyton and was very underwhelmed. Metallica, like Bad Religion, is just meh for me; I can listen to their stuff for a while, but I couldn't name a single song.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:23   #45
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:59
Well... it's pretty obvious what apolyton people think on this subject... IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE...

Led Zeppelin FOREVER!
Old May 20, 2003, 18:23   #46
Whaleboy
Prince

Social historical context though, it was 1969!

I prefer the traveller by iggy pop (i know everone says that).

You seem like more of a glam rock type, as opposed to true rock. Ah well, the true religion feedbacks on!
Old May 20, 2003, 19:22   #47
St Leo

Uh, Def Leppard, Poison, Ratt, Motley Crue, and GNR all suck. Do you still consider me a glam rock type?

I listen to Nirvana frequently.

Metal bands I like a lot include Helloween, Gamma Ray, Freedom Call, Hammerfall, Rammstein, KMFDM, and Rob Zombie.

80s rock-wise, I've recently discovered Joan Jett.
Old May 20, 2003, 19:30   #48
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Anything involving hippies can't possibly be considered true rock. They're just too nice, too well-mannered, too english. True rock should be properly american with half-naked men screaming and oozing sex while uncomprehending bikers throw beer bottles at them, like Iggy when he was fronting The Stooges.
Old May 20, 2003, 19:52   #49
St Leo

Helter Skelter and the second version of Revolution are the best hard r0ck tracks of all time.:P