Old May 21, 2003, 15:04   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 20:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
super wonders at end of tech tree
If you get to to the end of the tech tree, you get an option of 5 Wonders, World Government, Missile Shield Aritificial Intelligence, etc...

Now, I know most of you win before you even get that far, but I was curious what people think of those Wonders.

I love them, because they are deliberately very powerful and can really give you a final boost to win.

My favorite is the World Government which makes all timer victories and city assimilations instanteneous. This wonder is definitely a game winner.

In one game, I built the WG, and then built a few wonders, thus winning instanteneously with no timer wait!

If you time it right so that the wonders finish right after you complete the WG, you can deny the other nations almost any chance from stopping you!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 15:11   #2
bhg_paul
Big Huge Games

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
To be clear, those aren't wonders. They aren't represented as buildings and don't carry the game effects of wonders (points, nation powers, etc..) They are technologies. We refer to them in conversation as the "super-techs". They are all intended to be "game-enders".
bhg_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 15:28   #3
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:05
Quote:
They are all intended to be "game-enders".
Actually, it's damn fun when you're fighting the AI and you both are going for these techs. Really changes the face of the game. I was doing that, trying to take over an AI in a hard amphibious assault using every weapon I could... seeing him researching missile shield, I sent all my nukes there before he completed it... and the Artifical Intelligence is also a game changer! Fact is, you only need a single building of every type now. Love that... being at pop limit, and having my nearby Auto Plant queued with 10 Tanks that pop up instantly .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 15:32   #4
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 20:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by bhg_paul
To be clear, those aren't wonders. They aren't represented as buildings and don't carry the game effects of wonders (points, nation powers, etc..) They are technologies. We refer to them in conversation as the "super-techs". They are all intended to be "game-enders".
"Super-techs", ok! I was not sure exactly what to call them. Thanks for explaining it!

I guess the "game-ender" aspect is what I like so much about them!
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 20:13   #5
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 02:05
It's a great idea...better than having a 12 hour stalemate
Old May 22, 2003, 04:53   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:05
I'm still on the fence on those, they look a bit too much to me.
Instead of 'instantly', perhaps an increase of 50 or 75 would be enough.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote