Old May 21, 2003, 16:38   #31
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
(...) and I have classes tomorrow.
Same to me, have to leave this place now....

But I basically agree with Big Crunch´s post.
Old May 21, 2003, 17:05   #32
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
Quote:
If humans are given rights, then surely so too they should be given them. I would not go as far as to say they have human rights, but they should have something equivalent.
How come? if they're human, they should be given full rights. If they're not, they're are not a part of our species, and society, and ethics do not apply to them outside the context of interaction with humans.
What are we calling human rights.

http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

Looking at those I would apply many of those rights, but some just wouldn't make sense when applied to a chimp:

Everyone has the right to a nationality.

or

Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.

or

Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.

We can certainly grant them such rights, but it would make sense (to me) to give rights to chimps that are appropriate to their 'society' and needs.
Old May 21, 2003, 17:09   #33
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
why so? If they're not human, why should they have rights, at all? ( Not that humans have them, but we agree that we do have them )
Old May 21, 2003, 17:15   #34
Dauphin
Deity

Why make the assertion that only humans may have rights. Why do you think we give people rights in the first place?
Old May 21, 2003, 17:50   #35
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Our ethics apply on all humans, no matter if they can understand that ethics or not. Generally we base this on the "human dignity" argument. But what tells us that only humans have that dignity?
Old May 21, 2003, 18:07   #36
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd say that an interstellar civilization that came along would kinda notice that we qualify as an intelligent species right off the bat... you know, the whole technology thing

Chimps are a) not so obvious and b) probably don't have nearly the level of intelligence of humans. I'll explain b.

If chimps were as intelligent as humans, it is likely that they would have developed some sort of technology, even if very primitive (like houses and such). They don't even have fire.
Old May 21, 2003, 18:11   #37
Firelad
Settler

As far as I understand, everyone is (or should be) given rights relative to their ability to use them (wish I could explain it better...) - for example, us humans have all these rights that chimps can't have like voting and organising. But animals different from humans also have rights - rights for life, dignity, freedom (or different degrees thereof... Who's to judge anyway?).
I hope you can understand me... I'm not in my top form right now.
Old May 21, 2003, 18:15   #38
Firelad
Settler

Skywalker: Note European treatment of obviously intelligent (not to speak of human...) blacks etc right up to, well, now.
Seems to me that as long as you judge someone by how superior you are to him you are bound to do nasty things. Whether doing nasty things is bad or not is a different story. But methinks that basic rights for everybody (human, animal, whatever) goes in the same category as what we now call "Human Rights" (and what used to be, at least unofficially, called White Male rights...)
I remember some White Supermacist guy on TV saying, "We're here to defend White Anglo-Saxon Democracy!"...
Old May 21, 2003, 19:10   #39
Kuciwalker
Deity

That's a point, but it is all moot anyway... how we treat chimps won't affect the behavior of some potential interstellar civilization. Unless they're all animal-rights activists
Old May 21, 2003, 19:39   #40
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:05
Unless chimps are truly sentient - i.e. can produce abstract thoughts, I don't think that they should have rights of a person. However, they should have significant rights given their mental capabilities; one shouldn't be able to kill them without provacation, etc.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old May 21, 2003, 19:53   #41
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 02:05
Chimps are like dogs. They should be treated with consideration in the same way. There are many organisms that share human genes, we cannot treat them all as humans. If a monkey starts posting on Apolyton though then that would be a good indication that he has (lacks?) intelligence.
Old May 21, 2003, 20:02   #42
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

caveman were pretty stupid and I'd probably treat them the same way as chimps cause they are so "inferior". But look how much communication and our ability to use tools got us. I think its would be difficult to argue that we developed into a sentient beings over 6000 years because thats such a short time for such evolutionary process to take place. In fact, we were always capable of it, it just took some time for us to stack our knowledge with each passing generations.

Maybe chimps have the same capability, just that they werent able to end up to a point where we are, but the fact is we started of at a point just as low as where chimps were. Just because our knowledge stacked thru generations and generations cause we were able to preserve what we learned doesnt seem to make sense why we should be considered superior over another being if they have the same capbility.
Old May 21, 2003, 20:10   #43
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

If chimps were as intelligent as humans, it is likely that they would have developed some sort of technology, even if very primitive (like houses and such). They don't even have fire.
Given that Chimps do not have thumbs, I doubt that they really have any chance of utilizing tools. Which handicaps them from developing in the same way we did.

Also, the ability to pass on knowledge. If such ability isnt with the chimps, no matter how smart they are, they wouldnt be able to develop. Maybe they can teach a few simple tricks and pas those among generations, but unless you have some sort of complex communication system that can be preserved, you will not achieve this. Once again, in order to write something, you need an ability to utilize tools, something chimps dont have.
Old May 21, 2003, 20:17   #44
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 20:05
Those guys should work for the Onion
What a ridiculous story
Old May 21, 2003, 20:27   #45
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I'd say that an interstellar civilization that came along would kinda notice that we qualify as an intelligent species right off the bat... you know, the whole technology thing
I'll type slowly so you can understand, what if, relatively speaking they were as far ahead of us as we are to the chimps? As someone else has pointed out 10k years ago were had no technology, therefore by your reasoning not intelligent and fair game for experimenting on, guess weve just been lucky no one has spotted us?
Old May 21, 2003, 20:34   #46
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I wonder how long will it take for some missionary to try and convert them to Christianity.
they wont. Christianity regards humans as different from other animals. (The whole humans were created in gods images stuff).

Im guessing aliens wont be trated with equality according to christianity too. (if aliens exist)
Old May 21, 2003, 20:38   #47
reds4ever
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero

they wont. Christianity regards humans as different from other animals. (The whole humans were created in gods images stuff).

Im guessing aliens wont be trated with equality according to christianity too. (if aliens exist)
If aliens exist, the God-botherers will be too busy patching up the holes in the Bible to worry too much.
Old May 21, 2003, 20:42   #48
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever

If aliens exist, the God-botherers will be too busy patching up the holes in the Bible to worry too much.
nah they'll play off just as they did with Dinosaurs: "Bible only mentions things that needed to be mentioned"

Disclaimer: If you wanna believe that its upto you. No need to go into this cause its matter of believing. This thread is about chimps so lets stay on topic.
Old May 21, 2003, 21:15   #49
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

All Austrolophithecines and Pongids should be considered Hominids.

Unless chimps are truly sentient - i.e. can produce abstract thoughts, I don't think that they should have rights of a person.

I can assert that they can and you can assert that they can't all day and we won't get anywhere.
Old May 22, 2003, 00:17   #50
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Unless chimps are truly sentient - i.e. can produce abstract thoughts, I don't think that they should have rights of a person.
I disagree. Sentience is self-awareness, thus any creatures that can demonstrate such a trait should be granted the same rights as humans.

Abstract thought is too imprecise a term.
Old May 22, 2003, 02:01   #51
Az
Emperor

again, what is the connection between being intelligent and being given rights?
Old May 22, 2003, 02:16   #52
Zero
King

Quote:
again, what is the connection between being intelligent and being given rights?
none. what is the connection between being human and being given rights? same answer.
Old May 22, 2003, 02:21   #53
Az
Emperor

Quote:
none. what is the connection between being human and being given rights? same answer.
There is a connection. Naturally, rights do not exist, but they're means that are agreed upon by society to keep itself in peace and stability, and good relations between the people, which are crucial to our survival and prosperity as a species. If Chimps are not a part of our species, their rights are not crucial to our survival as a species, and therefore do not have to be granted in the first place.
Old May 22, 2003, 02:26   #54
Zero
King

Quote:
Quote:
There is a connection. Naturally, rights do not exist, but they're means that are agreed upon by society to keep itself in peace and stability, and good relations between the people, which are crucial to our survival and prosperity as a species. If Chimps are not a part of our species, their rights are not crucial to our survival as a species, and therefore do not have to be granted in the first place.
i dont want to sound racists, but we dont need to survive as a species. and I dont want to go too deep into that.
Old May 22, 2003, 02:32   #55
Az
Emperor

Quote:
i dont want to sound racists, but we dont need to survive as a species. and I dont want to go too deep into that.

no, please! Clarify!
Old May 22, 2003, 02:55   #56
Zero
King

As you have pointed out well, Survival of Chimps does not affect our survival needs. But eventually, these classification breaks down and all organisms has to concern itself with its own survival. Which means survival as a species isnt really a big issue. You statement is true and I'd agree but I also would agree on much more smaller scale: rights of our neighbors is not crucial to our survival as a clan and therefore do not have to be granted in the first place.

Our goal is survival, not survial as a species. Which means we can achieve this with 50% humans having rights, 20% 98%... etc and have no problem with it as long as its practical. But the reason we pursue for all human rights isnt for practicality. Its for ethical and moral pursuit.

Im have something on tip of my tongue but I think that will have to wait for now cause its nearing 3AM here and my ability to think is noticebaly declining.
Old May 22, 2003, 02:59   #57
Az
Emperor

I know what you mean. get some sleep.
Old May 22, 2003, 03:02   #58
Zero
King

Quote:
I know what you mean. get some sleep.
okay so i dont have to go deep enough? cause i felt like i was dancing around the subject but not quite there.

anyways we're quite offtopic. and im going to sleep.
Old May 22, 2003, 03:18   #59
Az
Emperor

Good Night!
Old May 22, 2003, 09:17   #60
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
There is a connection. Naturally, rights do not exist, but they're means that are agreed upon by society to keep itself in peace and stability, and good relations between the people, which are crucial to our survival and prosperity as a species.
If Chimps are not a part of our species, their rights are not crucial to our survival as a species, and therefore do not have to be granted in the first place.

I doubt see why you would delimit based on species?

I don't believe rights are given for our survival and prosperity. Humans have survived and prospered for millenia without such rights. For many centuries the 'white species' survived and prospered and justified slavery using an analagous type of argument you gave, saying that 'blacks' were sub-human.