Old May 23, 2003, 18:00   #121
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good for you, but I was yelling. We have only one version of "faith" here, and the arguments get stale, since its always the same ones, when this very topic comes up.

Which is why we need some people of faith, who aren't monotheists.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 23, 2003, 18:05   #122
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:06
AFAIK, the Buddhist concept of a "god" is far different from the Judeo-Christian concept or even the Hindu concept, since all of their gods are mortal (albeit with incredibly long life-spans, ranging up to 80,000 aeons in some cases). Faith doesn't play nearly the same role once you stop dealing in omnipotence/omniscience/etc.
Old May 23, 2003, 22:14   #123
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
Gepap:

No need to shout.

You could always educate yourself and play devil's advocate.
Old May 23, 2003, 22:41   #124
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Buddhists have several variations of beliefs just as most religions do. Generally speaking though their concept of God is sort of an abstract being who is not personal. But they expect that God to answer their prayers. So it is more than a universal oneness but certainly less than the Christian concept of a personal father-God.

Their faith is in their own actions and how they determine their destiny as they are weighed by some type of supreme judge that is over the universe. Also they generaly believe in fate, so that they believe that some of their present circumstances are the result of the good or bad from a previous life.

It is interesting to see Thais, for example, and how they treat the poor and needy and handicapped. On one hand they are very compassionate and generous and on the other they seem to think that they got what they deserved. There is a conflict in trying to make their present lives better by doing good and accepting their lot in life without complaint. They are generally very patient and calm people which seem to have more faith than most Christians that I know.
Old May 27, 2003, 01:55   #125
Lung
King

Local Time: 12:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
My God is better then your God and I will keep blowing up buildings until you agree.

Signed: OBL
*Lung enters the room after everyone else has already gone home*

Wow, so OBL is not a complete religious nutter! The extremists slogan is more along the lines of "My God is better then your God and I will keep killing you until you see it my way"

As for logic, errors from using logic only occur from not knowing all of the facts to begin with.

As for faith, faith is what OBL has that makes him go on killing innocent people
Old May 27, 2003, 05:10   #126
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
My God is better then your God and I will keep blowing up buildings until you agree.

Signed: George W. Bush
This is the first ever funny usage of that tactic.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005