Old May 21, 2003, 20:46   #1
Siride
Settler

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Not buying this game
thanks to the graphics support problems. I have never had a game that is this bad with supporting different graphics cards. I have four, count 'em, four computers ranging from 500 mhz to 1.2 ghz. I have two with Voodoo cards, one with a Savage card, one with a Trident card of some sort. Two computers run win2000, one runs XP and one runs 98. Now I have had small problems with some games before, but never where none of the computers can run the game properly. In fact, right now, only one computer can actually run the game, but I have a frame rate of 4 and the buildings are half covered over with that disgusting white polygon and it is very slow and choppy (that's the 1.2 ghz, XP machine). As I understand it, the real game isn't any different in terms of support than the demo. I'm not spending any money on a game that just won't run.
Siride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 21:07   #2
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 21:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Best to spend your money on new video cards, Voodoo and Savage are pretty much dead cards. I recommend something nVida based, they seem to support their older GPUs fairly well so you won't be out of luck 2-3 years down the line.
Old May 21, 2003, 23:18   #3
Siride
Settler

I could understand maybe not getting the best performance with older video cards, but not being able to get the game to work at all? That's really unacceptable. I haven't had problems like this for other games, even EE, which can run a little on the slow side at times, but works. And based on the complaints I have heard from a lot of people, this video card support is a big problem. A healthy portion of the readme is just fixes for video card problems, or statements that "sorry, you cannot play this game." I find that unacceptable.
Old May 22, 2003, 01:13   #4
dearmad
Prince

sirdie, 1.2 Ghz and those are the best cards you got? -sigh- Man pick up a GF2 GTS for crying out loud! $30
dearmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 01:17   #5
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Local Time: 21:06
Your cards are 3 generation of DirectX out of date, they have no support beyond the drivers included on the WinXP CD and you expect to run every new game that comes out. Sure you can run EE cause it was designed two years ago when your video cards actually had drivers designed to run the current version of DirectX at that time.

Don't expect game designers to support a video card that isn't even supported by the original maker of the graphics chip.
Old May 22, 2003, 04:58   #6
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:06
Btw, what is the point of having a more then decent proc and then having videocards that old, must be some bottleneck.
Why not sell one your PC's (do you really need 4 of them ), and by yourself a new (secondhand) one.
(Remember that DX9 is around the corner)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 09:11   #7
wilebill
Chieftain

Quote:
A healthy portion of the readme is just fixes for video card problems, or statements that "sorry, you cannot play this game." I find that unacceptable.
There are also certain Intel chipsets mentioned in the readme on which the game will not run. I checked sysinfo and went through my hardware list in System and I am still not sure what chipset I have. That part of the readme could use a bit of expansion IMHO.

Presumably I do not have an excluded chipset because the game runs on my machine excellently and wonderfully but without the introductory video. The introductory video immediately hangs my machine. Maybe the excluded chipsets are rare as hens teeth, only to be found in old Windows 95 vintage machines, or maybe they are state of the art but incompatible. Who knows?
wilebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 14:18   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
next he'll be complaining that he can't run doom3...
Old May 23, 2003, 17:46   #9
Siride
Settler

Okay, you guys are right. Having lived through the late 90s early 00s generally not running high-performance games has spoiled me. I don't know if I am in a position to get another video card right now, but I suppose in the future I will have to anyways. By the way, there are 4 computers in the house, but I only own one of them and it is a laptop (which makes it pretty much impossible, as I understand, to upgrade the video card).
Old May 25, 2003, 21:52   #10
skystreak
Settler

Honestly, there's not alot of excuses for the sheer amount of capatability problems. Not very many people had problems with the trial version so whatever was done to the software between then and the retail is the problem. I've got a high end machine ,with brand name parts and a ton of memory- and I've been able to complete a game once since I bought it. ONCE !!!!

I think it was Brian that admitted the game was rushed out the door, which in essence, means they didn't do all the bug testing and tweaking that needed to be done before release. Whichever company rushed this product out the door before it was completed (hmmm wonder who this was, let me think...) should be ashamed of themselves.

Its a great game and deserves much better.
skystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 10:31   #11
dogfrog45
Settler

I wouldn't mind but just to say in the readme there is no know solution is a bit poor. There almost certainly should be better labelling on the products when you purchase them.

btw I have a Dell 2200 with an Intel 810e and the game tells me to update my video driver even though I have the latest one.
dogfrog45 is offline   Reply With Quote