Old May 22, 2003, 00:29   #1
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
No Comparison
I've been browsing these threads, and I'm tired of people comparing RoN to TBS games like Civ2, they really can't be compared.

First, RoN is an RTS game, regardless of what speed you set it at, or how much you pause it. The AI is able to do stuff while the game is paused, and it does, yes, it gives you time to think, but the game becomes a slow motion he|| because of it.

Second, people claim that "nomad mode" is almost the same as Civ2 because you have the choice of whether to go explore, or build right away, or have one build while the others explore and so on.... yeah it's similar, but while you're deciding all this, the computer is doing stuff, giving it an immediate advantage over an indecisive player or deep thinker... unless you pause, then it becomes slow mo he|| again.

Third, in Multiplayer these options are more or less dead to you, it's impossible to expect that the other players will tolerate you pausing the game 200 times for whatever reason, and thus you can't translate any multiplayer game of RoN into anything like a TBS game.

Endrant, challenge me if you wish, I need mental stimulation
(I'm aware someone will quote this out of context)
Old May 22, 2003, 02:58   #2
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well there should be a rule with the pausing, you have to find ppl who want to play a multi game with pausing, but you take turns in it.

Fact, I don't see why BHG couldn't put this into an addon or even a patch.

The whole game could run in turns, and you can only move your men, set missile targets, set your citizens to build a building, all per turn, and on each turn the building will progress a bit more, etc. So it's almost exactly like civ really.

And of course, if you were to send foot soldiers a far off distance, it would only go as far as it can travel each turn, until it reaches its destination.

Surely this wouldn't be too hard to implement, I mean all the graphics and coding are all in place aren't they?
Old May 22, 2003, 06:26   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 22:07
That would be a very interesting way to play Snoopy. Very TBSish.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 07:37   #4
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

You call frequent pausing "slow motion he||" because you find it takes away from the game experience for you. Obviously you prefer a faster paced game. However there are many on these boards that are TBS fans and prefer a slower paced game, and to them pausing is a welcome feature. You are correct that pausing won't go over well in MP, however, I suspect that eventually a lot of the TBS players will venture in the MP arena and look for opponents who want a game on the slower speed settings with lots of cannon time.

So basically what I'm saying is to each their own.
Old May 22, 2003, 07:52   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

I suggested to Brian a long while back that he allow some MP options such that you research pause time ... so if I invest in it and store it in a 'time bank,' I can pause the game up to that amount of time any moment I wish. Of course the other players would then get to use that pause time for free... that sort of thing.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
yin26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 08:04   #6
One_Dead_Villy
Prince

really what u need for that is just a extreme slow speed setting , and greatly reduced movement speed, and extreme costly research and slow research. basically what u need is the ant farm mod that Sn00p is trying to make

Last edited by One_Dead_Villy; May 22, 2003 at 08:10.
One_Dead_Villy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 11:30   #7
Jerry_Garcia
Chieftain

It's more of a mix
a mix between civ and cossacks.

pretty good.
Old May 22, 2003, 14:10   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:07
It's an RTS. And a very enjoyable one, by the way. It was never supposed to be a TBS. I like to pause while I'm playing RON, but that surely doesn't qualify me for any serious multiplay, I know.

I see a lot of TBS players attracted to RON not because it could be compared to a TBS game (it couldn't), but because Brian Reynolds made it, and this gentlemen has quite a reputation among TBS players. So they think: "hey, it is a Brian Reynolds' game, I think I might give it a try even if it is a RTS". And most of them find RON to be at least interesting and enjoyable.

I imagine a RTS player looking at RON and thinking "hm, these graphics are not special, but the gameplay rulez", just like we do in regards to TBS games (GalCiv, anyone?)

If you really hate RTS, though, there are no redeeming qualities in RON. Because it is, first and foremost, an RTS game.
Old May 22, 2003, 14:50   #9
Rohag
Warlord

Local Time: 02:07
I would be happy to see the emergence of a community of online gamers unopposed to Cannon Time and Free Pause. For that matter, need every online game be human v. human? Why not several gamers of more cooperative tastes gang up on some of those fierce RoN AIs?
Old May 22, 2003, 16:56   #10
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Well, although my initial post may sound just a tad harsh, there are some good qualities to this game, it gets better with more play time I think, but I will try to maintain as much opposition to this game as possible on the off chance that a guy at BHG may read this and be like "good point" and possibly change the game accordingly.

My main point isn't that I hate RTS games, or RTS games suck, my main point is that to compare it to any TBS game is just wrong. I personally enjoy most RTS games, but I'm a TBS fanatic, and playing to compare solely with TBS (most notably Civ2 in inspiration of the other thread) I found this game to lack in everything but Graphics and Sound as a turn based game.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't spend money on this game, but I may use a gift card to get it.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:17   #11
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 10:07
Alexnm, what is wrong with the graphics?
Old May 22, 2003, 20:26   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:07
I don't think Alex is saying there anything wrong with the graphics, just that their not THE best around. Gameplay is more important anyway
alva is offline   Reply With Quote