Old May 22, 2003, 11:03   #1
kbtiger
Settler

Local Time: 02:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
WinG Failure
I have CIV2 but it doesn't work anymore on my PC. When I try to launch the app, a message box "WinG Failure" prompt appears. That is as far a I can get but I can get no more CIV2 experience.

I don't know how I lost the ability to run the game but sorely miss it. I un-installed, then re-installed the game from the CD. I deleted all CIV2 related files from Windows Explorer, then e-installed the game from the CD. Nothing worked.

If anyone has an idea as to what I can do to get it back, I would greatly apprciate it

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2003, 11:13   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
might check out this thread from a couple months ago?

WinG load failure. Error: 2
Old May 27, 2003, 13:28   #3
kbtiger
Settler

Well thank you. The "WinG Load Failure: Error 2" is exactly mine.

Berfore loading the new WinG, I did a search for WinG and found nothing. I even looked in the registry. Found nothing.

I downloaded the Wing10.zip but didn't really know what to do with it. I unzipped it into the \Civ2\ directory. No success. Also into the C:\Windows\ directory. Nothing.

Where do I put WinG? How can I get the execution file to look for the newly installed WinG? I'm frustrated.
Old May 27, 2003, 16:43   #4
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
If you have the Civ2 CD you won't need to download anything (you can remove any of the files you extracted).
Instead, put the Civ2 CD in the drive, browse to the WING directory on the CD and double-click on WINGSET.EXE. WinG will be installed.
(usually this should be done automatically during Civ2 installation, but sometimes it goes wrong)

If somehow this doesn't work, you'll need that wing1.zip file:
1) Extract wing.exe to somewhere easy to find and run it (or run it straight from within the zip)
2) You're asked to extract it to somewhere, choose a new and easy to find folder (e.g. C:\Windows\Desktop\WinG would probably do nicely)
3) Run the MSSETUP.EXE and follow the instructions
4) remove the temporary files (from steps 1 and 2), maybe the wing1.zip too, but you might want to hold on to that one if you need to re-install Civ2 again.
5) Done! Start civ2 and enjoy.
Old May 27, 2003, 20:53   #5
kbtiger
Settler

Mercator, You may be a king but haven't the power yet to solve my problem. I followed your instructions to the letter. Neither strategy worked.

The WINGSET.EXE returned an error: "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY OR DISK SPACE." I have only 6.54 GB of free disk space in my C:\ drive. (I say "only" in jest because I know that's plenty.)

There is no "MSSETUP.EXE" file in either the CD or the Wing10.zip

Both folders/files have _MSSETUP.EX_ and _MSTEST.EX_ . I tried changing the former into a *.EXE file but to no avail.

Now what?

Oh, I forgot. There is no wing.exe within the zip file; only a WINGSET.EXE but that did the same thing as from the CD.

Thanks.

Last edited by kbtiger; May 27, 2003 at 20:59.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:05   #6
Mercator
Emperor

Oops... I thought you had downloaded the file from CFC, but you downloaded it from the other site linked to in SCG's thread (i.e. the second part of my previous post made no sense at all).

OK... Let's first try the Civ2 CD option again:
1) Before you start, close all programs. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and end any remaing tasks, except "Explorer".
2) Try the WINGSET.EXE again.
3) If 2 successfully installed WinG, restart the computer and try Civ2. Otherwise... Let's see what wing10.zip does.

Do you have WinZip?
If so, you can choose to install wing10.zip straight from within WinZip.

If you don't have WinZip, first extract wing10.zip to an easy to find temporary folder and then run SETUP.EXE.
The installation should start, and when you're done you can remove the temporary folder. Restart your computer and try civ2.
If installation didn't start (or gave an error), try shutting down all programs first and retry.

If that doesn't work...
Old May 28, 2003, 22:35   #7
kbtiger
Settler

Okay Mercator. I bow to you for having brought my CIV2 game experience back to life.

I pressed Crtl,Alt,Delete, closed all but Explorer and re-ran the Wingset.exe. That did it. I'm back in business.

Thank you sooo much.

I have Civ3 but really like CIV2.

Thanks again.
Old May 29, 2003, 09:03   #8
Mercator
Emperor

Hurrah!