Old May 22, 2003, 14:20   #1
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 22:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Computer Help
This is a very stupid question, but do any of you all have keyboards where u can push a cresent moon buttton on your keyboard and the computer goes into standby. I was wondering if there is any way u can make the button just turn off the monitor but still leave the computer running, where my downloads can keep downloading.
Old May 22, 2003, 14:29   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 21:09
press the monitot I/O button?

I know what u mean tho. I have a laptop and I dont have a button to shut down my monitor.
Old May 22, 2003, 15:49   #3
flash9286
King

its not really for me or i would do that, its for my parents there strubbon and want listen to me when i say just turn the mointer off, instead they push the sleep button and i lose my downloads.
Old May 22, 2003, 19:36   #4
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 19:09
Just go to the Power Management options in Control Panel and set it so that the monitor shuts itself off after a few minutes.
Old May 22, 2003, 19:53   #5
flash9286
King

no my parents keep pushing the sleep button when i even tell them not to, thats why i need to change the sleep button
Old May 22, 2003, 20:13   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Did the keyboard come with software? If so, you could probably use that to reconfigure what that button does (ie: set it to do nothing) and then just set the monotor to turn itself off after a few minutes.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:15   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:09
We really a computer forum, me thinks
Old May 22, 2003, 20:26   #8
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:09
Or what you could do is uninstall the drivers that work those extra buttons so they do nothing. Not easy for the beginner.

What I did was - I didn't install the driver in the first place.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 22, 2003, 20:32   #9
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 02:09
Just paint the screen black with once-on emulsion. No-one will know the difference.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:49   #10
flash9286
King

you dont understand my parents always push the sleep button even when i tell them not to, thats why i need to change the function of the sleep key. Skany it didnt come with any software, and i have already went into power management and there is no option to make the monitor turn off. Red Jon i dont know what your talking about.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:58   #11
Cruddy
Warlord

Red Jon was trying to be funny at the wrong time.

OK, rather than getting the monitor to power down totally, what you can do is adjusting the display/monitor/screensaver so it displays a blank screen after a preset number of minutes.

Look for a small keyboard icon on the start bar - some driver sets put up an icon there and some don't. Try right clicking rather than left clicking. If it clearly not a button for adjusting the keyboard extras, click elsewhere on the screen and try the next one.

If you can't find it there, try looking in control panel.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 22, 2003, 21:00   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Remove the button. A screwdriver could be helpful.
Old May 22, 2003, 21:08   #13
Worthingtons
Prince

Look around for you comp software, My Keyboard has function buttons (altho no standby sadly) and with my computer i installed a disk that put on a program to change them. It is called Hotkeys. You may find such a program is already installed, if so go to 'Control Panel' and click on Keyboard.

If it then does not have the option to configure these buttons click on the 'hardware' tab and there should be an option to Uninstall driver (This is assuming you have Evil XP)
Cheers
Matt
Old May 22, 2003, 21:14   #14
Worthingtons
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
We really a computer forum, me thinks
When there are genius' here like Cruddy and Paul Hanson ect it may seen a good idea to create a forum, but the idea of posting it here is that your message will be read and often replied to within minutes as opposed to hours.

My gf recently asked me if Apolytoners could solve everything after we worked out what card we needed for the TV, I'm not sure but it's a possibility!!!
Old May 22, 2003, 21:21   #15
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Rothy

When there are genius' here like Cruddy...
Credit where it's due. I'm OK with hardware but a complete buffoon with XP and Internet stuff like Spybots.

Skanky Burns and Panag deserve deserve a big hand too

... and doubtless a lot of others I'm too new to even know about.

Now, back to the problem. I guess your parents aren't going to like you removing that button (hey, we all like pressing buttons, right?).

Keep looking for a driver - think of it as a learning process. You may never find that elusive "turn off extra buttons" box to click on, but you'll learn lots of other stuff while you're at it.
Old May 22, 2003, 21:24   #16
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Rather than unistalling your keyboard driver (you need a driver and the default one still lets the button shut down your computer) go to control panel and open up "power options".

This first page will let you set how long until the monitor shuts off itself. Set that (to 5 minutes, 10 minutes, whatever). Then go to the advanced tab. For the sleep button, change it from "standby" to "do nothing". Then you should be all set.

EDIT: And thanks Cruddy
Old May 23, 2003, 00:17   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
For the sleep button, change it from "standby" to "do nothing". Then you should be all set.
I don't think there's such a thing. Or rather, not every version of Windows has that option.

Solution 1: use a keyboard without the sleep button
Solution 2: take the button out, destroy the contact underneath, replace button
Old May 23, 2003, 03:29   #18
Skanky Burns

Sorry, forgot to mention what operating system. But Flash hasn't mentioned what OS he uses, so we can't give specific instructions. I use XP, and it most certainly has this option:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerbutton.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45843  
Old May 23, 2003, 03:58   #19
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 19:09