Old May 22, 2003, 21:27   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New University Course: Writing Computer Viruses
Yes, the correct plural form is virii, but that's a tad cryptic for a non-fully-computer-geek-forum.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmon...F-2166BBC6D181

Quote:
Viruses 101: U of C to teach secrets of cybercrime

CanWest News Service
Monday, May 19, 2003

CALGARY - Developing malicious software -- viruses, worms and Trojan horses -- will soon be part of the program for 16 students at the University of Calgary.

The aim is to delve into the cybercrime mind to understand a problem that causes billions of dollars in damage annually worldwide, says Dan Seneker, with the university's department of computer science.

"It's the first of its kind in Canada," said Seneker, co-ordinator of community relations.

As well as developing their own versions of the I LOVE YOU virus and the BUGBEAR worm, students will study legal, ethical and security issues in the "computer viruses and malware" course.

"It's kind of a touchy subject if the world is losing trillions of dollars a year because of lockdown time or whatever, to say 'Hey, we're going to teach the students how to create new viruses,' " Seneker said.

The intent of the program, devised and to be taught by Dr. John Aycock, is to be proactive in helping industry develop more secure software. Aycock could not be reached for comment.

Computer hacking and viruses took a $1.6-trillion US toll on the world economy in 2000, says a survey by Information Week and PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

Experts say there are now about 80,000 viruses in cyberspace.

Between 600 and 700 new ones are discovered monthly.

"In order for people in medicine to try to discover a cure for viruses they don't try and discover a cure right away," Seneker said.

"They learn more about the viruses in the first place -- how it mutates, how it's caused.

"That's the approach Dr. Aycock has taken in saying instead of trying to invent all these security features let's learn more about these actual viruses ... and then from there work on security measures."

The course is open to 16 fourth-year students who must work under strict conditions in a secure lab cut off from Internet and cell- phones.

Other security measures to thwart students who may have malicious intent are in the works.

Cybercriminals have become more sophisticated.

"The first official virus was in 1986 that someone was able to trace back to the perpetrators, which were two brothers in Pakistan," Seneker said.

They were easily traced because they embedded their names and address in a virus.

"Nowadays you don't do that because you'll get thrown in jail or the FBI takes you away to their secret laboratory," Seneker said.

"There's always these rumours that when the FBI or CIA find these people that are wreaking havoc with viruses, that they take them to their secret labs and try to turn them into the good guys so that they know how to defeat others.

"For the most part, the guilty are thrill-seekers.

"There's a growing threat of the actual cyberterrorism.

"But they say that only 0.9 per cent, less than one per cent, of the actual cybercriminals out there have the capability or the know-how or the malicious intent to take it one step further."
The UofC also is the only uni in Canada (and one of only a couple in the world) to offer a BSc in CompSci with a Games Design concentration.

CompSci! CompSci! Compsci! Woot!
Old May 22, 2003, 21:33   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Cool. I would love to go in that course!

So will the world be seeing an Asher virus soon?
Old May 22, 2003, 22:43   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:10
That would be a fun course.
Old May 22, 2003, 22:46   #4
Tuberski

Local Time: 21:10
I think it will actually be a good thing to have, it will help in security measures and counter measures down the road.

Some of the best computer security people are ex-hackers.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 22, 2003, 22:52   #5
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
The UofC also is the only uni in Canada (and one of only a couple in the world) to offer a BSc in CompSci with a Games Design concentration.
Is that what you're taking? I'd love to play a game created by a poster here.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 22, 2003, 22:54   #6
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

that sounds interesting...maybe by understanding how to create them, you can better understand how to cure them.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 22, 2003, 22:55   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 20:10
Nope, Games Design only lets 6 people in a year right now and requires way too many arts and physics courses for me.

I'm in Software Engineering.

I know someone who transferred from UWaterloo to UCalgary specifically to take the program though.

Ever since Slashdot posted about it about a year ago, virtually no local UofC students got in the Games Design program. It's all insanely-bright people from around the world trying to get in.
Old May 22, 2003, 23:02   #8
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:10
Know thine enemy. About time it got some serious educational spotlight. One up for Canada.

I believe there is a computer games orientated qualificaiton in the UK but it's almost impossible to apply for it.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 23, 2003, 00:07   #9
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:10
The "Bugbear" isn't a worm. The Morris Worm is a worm.
Old May 23, 2003, 00:33   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:10
Re: New University Course: Writing Computer Viruses
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Yes, the correct plural form is virii, but that's a tad cryptic for a non-fully-computer-geek-forum.
ACTUALLY....

dictionary.com says viri (or "worse" (in their words), virii) is NOT the plural form of virus and that it is VIRUSES.

Sorry for being anal.
Old May 23, 2003, 00:54   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:10
Nitpicker