View Poll Results: Is this game dead?
Yes, let its rotting corpse stay where it fell 7 16.67%
Yes, but a little CPR and it might come back 18 42.86%
Not yeat dead. 13 30.95%
I am clueless as to what this is all about but I like voting in polls anyways. 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23, 2003, 09:59   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is this demo game dead?
The computer didn't kill us.
Lack of participation did.

We have only two people running officially for positions in the government, and two more who have expressed interest.

There have been 3 posts in the last 20 hours or so, two of which are by me.

There has been only one chat in the last 10 days. No new chats are scheduled.

So, vote what you think. Is this game dead? If so, does it have a chance of being resurected?

Post your thoughts and comments.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old May 23, 2003, 10:41   #2
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Yes, but step aside while I attached these nodes...CLEAR! ZAP!

With the plethora of Demo Games now, there is stiff competition for participation. I believe this game presents us with a great challenge though, I and would like to see it continue. Don't we want the recognition of being the only site to win a Diety level DG?
Old May 23, 2003, 10:52   #3
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The game was intended IIRC to bring new people into the world of demo games as most of the big players had passed into the ptw demo games.

I think the deity level has probably put off new demo gamers as it requires such elitism and seriousness.

Perhaps if the game had been on king level more new people would be involved as it would mean more role play etc and generally more fun.

The SPDG can only survive with a large turnover of players more fun and less seriousness is needed.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:06   #4
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 02:12
I mean there is alot of joking around but not concerning the actual game.

We couldn't decide to go and destroy the otts for attacking us, to teach them a lesson as we'd get screwed. Deity doesn't give us any freedom to do what we'd like.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:11   #5
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 20:12
I agree with OPD. Deity level killed it.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:14   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 21:12
Here's what's going on:

1. Spring classes at Universitys ended during the past three weeks.

2. This monday is Memorial Day in the US, the unoffical begining of summer here. Some people may have decided to start their Memoiral Day vacation early. Others may stay late. Still others may be planning trips in June.
Old May 23, 2003, 12:50   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:12
hi ,

maybe we could make a poll ' restart or not ' , .....

have a nice day
Old May 23, 2003, 14:26   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I can only speak for myself.

Connection problems at home, unexpected forced move at work (does the AF ever plan ahead?), and family problems have led to my absense.

I think RoN, school getting out, and the PTW games have something to do with the larger picture right now too.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old May 23, 2003, 15:27   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

RoN + RL issues. sorry guys
Old May 23, 2003, 16:49   #10
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 18:12
My intent was to hold one more chat this week, but it looks like that won't be all that possible. I've had midterms this week and next week, plus this memorial day weekend where quite a few of us people in the US will be on small vacations.

I also have a geology field camp next weekend as well, so this has really killed my ability to hold a turn chat this next week! :-/

I believe MrWIA will soon be "out of the office" for awhile as well. So turnchat wise, this next week is definitely going to be dead.

The thing is, despite being Deity, it's a challenge and a lot of us "noobs" can learn strategies to play, that's what is so great. I learned a lot from the first Demo game and I'm unbelievably surprised that we've survived.

Anyways, it sounds like a lack of interest in general and I personally don't know how to explain it. It can't be RoN, because, well after having bought it (and realizing it's pretty much just like every other RTS already out there), I've concluded that Empire Earth is better :-P

Ah hem. Anyways... I wouldn't want this game to die, but certain aspects of this game are also time consuming and I know a lot of people aren't willing to put that much into it which is understandable.

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old May 23, 2003, 18:00   #11
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

I want to participate as a poster, but I've been waiting for more info on the game. The PTW games are about who's backstabbing whom, I don't enjoy it as much as this.

We can have a good demo game with fewer participants.
Old May 23, 2003, 18:04   #12
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

DP
Old May 23, 2003, 18:06   #13
realpolitic
Prince

I want to participate as a poster, but I've been waiting for more info on the game. The PTW games are about who's backstabbing whom, I don't enjoy it as much as this.
Old May 23, 2003, 21:49   #14
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I think that's the first time I've seen a triple post.

Seriously, thought, my experience with multimple other Democracy games suggest taht participation drops off in the second game. Just keep on perservering, advertising, etc. A nihilistic attitude by the players will SURELY kill this game.
Old May 23, 2003, 22:21   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I don't know what it is. I'm not sure if I would expect more at this stage, though; our strategy for the moment is pretty set: we're going for the Ottomans, and probably with more support than any SPDG I war ever had. So, no debate over what to do, for we're set on a specific war; but no action to draw people to chats or to the forum, either. Considering there's pretty much nothing to debate, I wouldn't be too surprised. The lack of candidates is odd, though.

Also, I've seen a far greater variety of turnchatters than forum posters in the SPDG. A lot of them are in the PTWDG; so, that may be killing SPDG participation too.

Whatever it is, we shouldn't declare the SPDG dead yet, not by a longshot. We now have one candidate for each position, and there's still time for more to sign up and make this an actual election; what's more, we had ~40 voters in the Otto poll; hopefully, they'll post and be more active once things heat up. Until then, we need to get through to the war; once that happens, I think we should see some more life around here. War always raised participation in the SPDG I, and I bet it'll be a similiar story here.
Old May 24, 2003, 01:47   #16
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:12
There are a couple of reasons for the drop off in participation, IMO:

It's Finals/Midterms.

Its Summer.

It's RoN/Gal Civ.

It's ISDG.

It's PTWDG I

It's PTWDG II

Finally:
It's almost hopless that we will win; we may survive, but that is not winning, is it?
Old May 24, 2003, 01:59   #17
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:12
I'm a little lazy this days... But I'll be more active in one week or two.
Old May 24, 2003, 06:44   #18
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:12
From the start it has been made clear that the pure gamers did not want to be bothered by the democracy, and that they wanted a big challenge. They have the public attracted by this definition.
Old May 24, 2003, 08:48   #19
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:12
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
There are a couple of reasons for the drop off in participation, IMO:

.................................................. .

Finally:
It's almost hopless that we will win; we may survive, but that is not winning, is it?
We can win... But only with (almost) permanent war, say our experts.

Perfectly adequate for Vikings...
Old May 24, 2003, 11:12   #20
jdd2007
NationStates
King

The game has hardly started! Give it a little time.

Most of bigfree's reasons are right on the mark
Old May 24, 2003, 12:03   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic

We can have a good demo game with fewer participants.

hi ,

it aint the number of people , its the way some people act with others , when some elected people completely ignore a pm or an email , ......

when some people run of to an other site and talk and spread whatever comes to mind , the liitle clans that form , .....

that and a whole bunch of other things that make some people forget in the end what its all about , ... a game , and what you do with a game , you are supposed to have fun , .....

have a nice day
Old May 24, 2003, 12:35   #22
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I'm back guys! (as RP guys would already know)

My thought on it is RoN + RL + Diety + Other DGs.
Old May 24, 2003, 13:58   #23
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Dead as Dillinger

j/k, I think we can win it... or get a little dignity as we go out. But maybe some do have a point about the difficulty level and the seriousness at such a level dissuading involvement.

But, also, I know my Deity level attempts have rarely been very successful. A win here could be a great learning experience, no matter how dogged it might be.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old May 24, 2003, 16:43   #24
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I don't think we are dead, either as the Vikings, or as a DG.

I am hopeful that things will pick up soon,
Old May 24, 2003, 18:23   #25
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

twenty versus ten , ....

what would happen if someone where to ask ' restart ' , ....

have a nice day
Old May 24, 2003, 19:54   #26
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

I voted for Yeats - one of my favorite poets.

It ain't dead. There is a lot of competition - from both other games and RL stuff. The start was/is very interesting.

Play on!

I will sign up for a position.
Old May 25, 2003, 10:24   #27
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I'm very concerned with the team DG in which I am Pope and thus have a time-eating job.
The ISDG has, thanks to ET, attracted me again and I'm planning to participate more in it.

I have too little lime to participate in three games with an important position in at least one of them.

I'll look from the sideline to this one and perhaps post now and then, but not very often.

Perhaps it also counts for this game: heavy debates between political parties and al lot of roleplay help us to regain participation.

I encourage the existing members to refound the DIA and battle with the warmongers.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old May 26, 2003, 19:42   #28
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Two words =

School's over!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of being busy with work to do, I'm swamped with plans for summer (summer jobs, road trips, making sure I hang out with H.S friends at leats once to at least make it seem we're still friends... ) I'm sure other college students are having the same issues too, which is why you probably saw participation dropping. But Im sure it will pick up eventually. Just hang in there.
Old May 26, 2003, 21:02   #29
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

From my experience not in demo games but in real life, as long as you have a small core of dedicated people, that's all that counts. There's a saying, "things are best resolved in a committe of three people, two of which are always absent".

If other people don't participate perhaps they should say precisely why they don't want to. Like Aidun said, it's impossible for most people to have important jobs in every DG. That's why I just lurk here!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)