Old March 12, 2000, 04:25   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:34
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Why is AI Taking Money From Me?
Everyone:

Everytime I conquer an AI city, the damn computer is subtracting money from my account vs. putting it in! Why? This little trick just started not too long ago.

I'm playing after the starship has reached Alpha Centauri and the remaining AI nations have (had) lots of money, including myself. Is there some sort of glitch in the program ... ? I've reinstalled it, but the same thing keeps happening.

I have personalized RULES.TXT and CITY.TEXT files, but they've never been a problem in the past. Could they be behind the game's glitches? Or is it the time period? Or the fact that the the AIs (and me) are large, sprawling nations?

This is getting tiresome. Civ II Gold sucked because the damn thing crashed upon exit nearly all the time ... so I went back to Civ II, hoping to get away from the errors. Now they're popping up there, too! Good grief.

Civ II is the only program affected by this computational crap, BTW.

Thanks for any insight.

CYBERAmazon
Old March 12, 2000, 07:05   #2
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
Could be very simple:
The opponent, whose cities you are capturing, has overrun the Max. Gold limit (Approx. 32,000)and his Gold reserves are now Negative... (Minus bit set)... Hence you receive "negative gold" and his reserves go further and further negative. Does that sound like your problem?
Old March 12, 2000, 18:49   #3
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 16:34
Captain Nemo:

Sounds like it could be — except that this "negative gold" is taking money out of my treasury. I went from around $30,000 to $822 before I noticed the "negative gold" was affecting me in that manner. Also, the Sioux bank account oddly jumped up to $65,0000 immediately after my treasury went down nearly $29,000.

Anyway, I re-installed a new RULES.TXT file and the computer seems to be calculating things properly again. However, that might be only because all the other AI players now have less than 30,0000 to their names.

CYBERAmazon

------------------
Resistance is futile. Lower your shields and disable your weapons. You will be assimilated into the Borg Collective.