Old May 24, 2003, 17:57   #1
lancealot
Settler

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How to avoid war fatigue and defection?
Hi there, I got a couple of question regarding war. I am currently wiping the Ottomans out of my way. I took their capital and about half their cities but then trouble began:

1. Many cities went into a state of disorder and its getting worse every turn. now this is a known effect of wars and i decided that its time to pursue peace and its time for me to regroup. But the Damn Ottomans won't even see me so icant but any peace with them. how can i force them to to see me??
2. Some of the conqured cities defect back to my enemies after a few turns. how can i stop it??
3. So if none of the above is do-able, i tried to change my goverment back to monarchy or something (i am in the end of the middle ages) - is this a good idea??

Thanx in advance.
Old May 24, 2003, 18:37   #2
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 20:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
looks like your only chance... actually, the game i'm playing, on deity, the AI is suffering war weariness, but since communism hasnt been discovered yet, they stay at either democracy or republic and have horrible war weariness, although one civ, the chinese, is at monarchy now...
Old May 24, 2003, 18:38   #3
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hi!

1: I dont think is possible to force the ottoman to see you. But If you want to stop all war weariness change your government to Despotism-Monarchy-Communism. Even in Republic you'll experience less War Weariness than in Democracy.
2: In city you just conquered, make everybody happy by making entertainer in your city screen and you can place more unit in the city near the enemy border. But the best thing to do is to Rush-build Temple-Cathedral-Library.( you should always build Temple-Cathedral in your conquered city)
3: So change it to Monarchy or Communism even Republic can be good if you have a lot of luxury.

So nice game, and keep'on civin!

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old May 24, 2003, 18:52   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
hi ,

well start to put the lux higher , most of the times the ai has drafted , .... that makes the people unhappy , build a couple workers to be sold or to work helps , buildings help , if its a big city let one or two people become entertainers , make peace with countries that you are still at war with , aspecially the host nation , switch gov , build wonders , ....

have a nice day
Old May 24, 2003, 19:30   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

To have the Ottomans see you, I think you have to continue winning this war until they accept to see you. Unfortunately, there s no way to force them to negociate. If you're on the verge on completely killing the Ottomans, don't hesitate to do so. It will solve all your problems

Otherwise, to avoid defection in your conquered cities, you need both culture and happiness. If you are religious or scientific, I suggest you to build the cheap cultural buildings, to reduce the chances of culture flip.
Also, you have to keep the population happy by raising the luxury slider in the F1 screen (if your core cities are at risk of unrest as well), and by making tons of entertainers in the conquered cities, even if that means to starve them. Don't hesitate to starve them : a dead Ottoman is better than an unhappy Ottoman
Also, buy luxuries to foreign Civs with whom you're at peace, and build marketplaces. If your conquered cities aren't connected to the trade network, it is of utmost importance to connect them.

If everything fails, change government. Take communism or monarchy, as they don't suffer from war weariness and are quite efficient nonethless.
Old May 25, 2003, 01:54   #6
lancealot
Settler

Thanx for the answers, everyone.

Just for the record: When i started the war i was a republic. Communism is not available yet. I did turn most of my citizens to entertainers but still war-weariness hit me big time.
I think i will: 1. rush temples and libraries in order to avoid defections. 2. raise the lux bar. seems a good idea even if my science will take a hit.

By the way, do you usually wipe out entire civilizaions in one long war or in a series of short ones??
Old May 25, 2003, 06:10   #7
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 05:16
Have you wiped out the resisters in the cities? Flipping back is supposedly more common if there are resisters in the city, and you can not rush anything. Also, stationing troops in the city in risk of flipping will decrease the chance. Conscripts and obsolete units are good for this.
Old May 25, 2003, 10:42   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lancealot
Thanx for the answers, everyone.

Just for the record: When i started the war i was a republic. Communism is not available yet. I did turn most of my citizens to entertainers but still war-weariness hit me big time.
I think i will: 1. rush temples and libraries in order to avoid defections. 2. raise the lux bar. seems a good idea even if my science will take a hit.

By the way, do you usually wipe out entire civilizaions in one long war or in a series of short ones??
hi ,

courthouse should be rushed first , they shall lower corruption and let you save on those shields , any building you rush after that shall be cheaper due to the lowering of corruption , .... policestations later on are also great

several short blows are good and better , .....

try to negotiate tech for peace

have a nice day

can you attach a save ?
Old May 26, 2003, 03:13   #9
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 05:16
Naturally, you can just raze the city and build another in it's place with a settler. Free workers, and no flipping, atleast not very soon.
Old May 26, 2003, 13:00   #10
Azeem
Prince

If you have a large enough garisson in captured cities, the odds of them flipping goes down quite a bit.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old May 26, 2003, 15:17   #11
MattH
King

With the lower difficulties that I usually play, the AI won't recognize me if I have a unit in its territory, have fought a battle during that turn, or have captured a city in the last 3.
Old May 28, 2003, 11:54   #12
The Strangers
Settler

I learnt my lesson over this sort of problem way back when I first bought Civilization II, and decided to install a democratic/republican government. I have never used one since, on Civ II, CTP, CTP II, or Civ 3. I always avoid like the plague those hideous words "your subjects have a great degree of personal freedom and believe that you rule because they chose you" - which is a nice way of putting "you can't do a thing right - stick to the government you've got if you don't want disorder in every single city". And of course, it's even worse if you happen to be in the middle of a war when you switch governments.