Old March 21, 2001, 14:31   #1
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspaņolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The CIV game i enjoyed the most so far
I started to play on a smal world, raging hordes, King (hadn't played for a while) with all 7 civs.

I enjoyed the game very much. I was on a military tech disadvantage (i didn't get the chance of researching them until other civs had it, and they didn't want to trade with me) yet i managed to protect my territory with three fortifications manned with first archers and charriots, and finally cavalry and musketeers. The game ended when my leader retired, i was then first on the power graph, but i hadn't managed to conquer anything.

Four turns after the game ended, i conquered one empire, and i had full control of the whole world by 2040. I still enjoyed most the part of the game in which i could hardly keep my fortresses, when my pikemen with knight help could hardly hold the cannon/elephant invaders, and later when i managed to hold with musketeers against cavalry.
Old March 24, 2001, 01:05   #2
Craftsman
Chieftain

Here is a chance to tell you, civ players, about a game that I played a long time ago. It was one of my first Prince games. I feel bad about not having the save file anymore.

Well... I was playing as the Chinese. Carthaginians, French and Japanese (donīt remember if there was some civ else) where my problem.
I managed to conquer one continent until a land bridge with another continent (the French one). Put a city on this tile (a la Suez) to pass with my navy to either side of the two continents.

The Carthaginians where far, far away (didnīt even know where ).
The Japanese where on two big islands (each were half the size of my continent) that formed an inside ocean between them, with two entries.
Scouting with my ships, I decided to close the doors of the Japanese Ocean to keep an eye on their ship movements. We were already in the XX century.
They were becoming very hostile against me. But I like being Spotless, so I waited...

The French, once in good terms with my civ, started to change their attitude toward my civ: they were angry because I was expanding my civ and they couldnīt do that anymore...

After I built the Apollo Program, the rush began.

I had built a large navy to face the Japanese one. He who strikes first, wins the naval war (in this case).
So, I decided to make my first sneak attack with my long prepared navy against the Japanese. Success! Theyīll be trapped on their islands forever!
The French get nervous. So I called them to a chat, and offered an alliance. They accepted! So, I think that they were just afraid getting into a war with their adjacent neighbor!

Spaceship parts construction were heavy. The Carthaginians were far ahead, And I didnīt had built ONU at that time. So, I had no idea about their current research and techs. I has even behind the French construction.
Suddenly, a window popped up. I was stunned... The French launched their ship. Oh, no! Time to war!! As soon as I could, I landed a number of transports with armors and whatever was at my hand and managed to conquer Paris. French Spaceship Destroyed!!! Meanwhile, ONU was finished. The Carthaginians ship was huge, but lacked the space modules... Weird. Checked their technology... They didnīt have Superconductors!!!! Their empire was two times bigger than mine; I was tired about closing their windows that popped up with parts being completed; Finally, they were with the biggest ship possible, *without the modules*!!!
Ceased Fire with the French. They started to build another spaceship immediately. I was building too, and researching desperately after the techs that leads to Superconductors.

The Carthaginians ship was in orbit, just waiting the modules.
Oh no!! The French launched again!!? Now without a Capital City!?
Oh Oh... I donīt have means to stop them, unless I wipe them out. No time.
Discovered Superconductors. The Carthaginians asked for the tech. "BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" (I gently replied )
I built the fastest ship my knowledge permitted and arrived at Alpha Centauri first!!!
This was, far away, the best civ game that I ever played.

Thanks for your time!

Old March 24, 2001, 23:13   #3
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
Yeah, great game . Wierd how you can take out a launched spaceship by eliminating the cap city. But I think that's an awesome game you had there.

------------------
The fault lies not in our SMAC, but in our stars.
~ Vanguard, February 2, 2000.
Old March 25, 2001, 01:28   #4
Craftsman
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by SMACed on 03-24-2001 10:13 PM
Yeah, great game . Wierd how you can take out a launched spaceship by eliminating the cap city. But I think that's an awesome game you had there.

Thanks a lot!

About the spaceship, the manual says that all spaceship parts constructed are automaticaly moved to our Capital City. There (in fact, in orbit), our spaceship is assembled and prepared to be launched. I didīn find in the manual anything about the following (although this is known by many civ players) and I even donīt remember where I learned this: if you can manage to conquest the Capital City of a civ that is building a spaceship, the spaceship is destroyed (donīt matter if it was launched or not). So, if you are one of the spaceship builders, lookout! Protect your Capital City carefuly. A little problem: if you are attacking a Capital City to destroy their spaceship, they have the chance to change their Capital to another City. So do we, if we have enough money and cities to choose...
I think the really weird thing was the fact that the French, in my game, managed to construct another spaceship without a Capital City to be attacked...

Again, Thanks for your time!!

Old March 27, 2001, 00:11   #5
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 17:56
Good tale. My favorite games are the ones where a genuine space race is under way. I recently came perilously close to loing bigtime because the Indians launched a fast ship after my larger (Zulu mothership) one was already en route (that'll teach me to try to boost the score with extra colony modules). I wound up starting a war to go after their capital, but got sneak attacked by Americans and Germans. Just as well -- they stood between me and most of indian territory. Knowing I had only 8 turns to take out the capital, my howies and armor set out for adventure. The Indians had enough money to keep moving their capital, which was beginning to irritate me, and my numbers were looking less and less imposing. Thankfully, I was able to ground their ship at last, at the cost of my entire army. The next couple of turns were a real sweatfest as the triple alliance started pounding me, taking the cities I abandoned to protect the capitol. Whew!
Old March 27, 2001, 16:05   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 15:56
my first was my best - kind of like - you know

I had no clue what I was doing. I switched to democracy and all hell broke loose.
Old April 2, 2001, 00:47   #7
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:56
My favorite so far was The Forever War, recently detailed in the VIKING ARCHIVES thread.

I played on warlord an OCC strategy, then started expanding after my launch in 2010. for the next 800 years I expanded by massive spy effort, until my hard drive crashed. lots of fun. must have been over 300 hours of playing time. learned so much here at apolyton during the game.
I'll have to do it again if I have the guts
Old April 3, 2001, 09:30   #8
drake
King

Local Time: 18:56
My most enjoyable game so far? Check out the thread for the monday night diplo game. That's the best game I've ever played and it's still not over yet! It's just getting really heated now.
Old April 5, 2001, 16:26   #9
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspaņolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'm now playing a game in a med. world with seven civs, also king. Archipielago, small land masses (although not very much like that)

I don't like to set my entire empire to SS building, i only use the cities as they get to build the Mfg. plants (i buy them when they're half through).

but the Zulus started building one and buying pieces like hell. They also lacked SuperConductor, but in one of my Frontiers, the English had declared war on me and i was wiping out the constant artillery, marines, and armor that came to die by my city walles manned by Mech. Inf. and a couple of armor. (after my riflemen had been massacred by waves of troops, I managed to get some Armors just in time to blow the attackers up)

On my other Front, and between the Zulus and me were the egyptians. Luckily, and thanks to my early expansion-like-hell, i nearly surrounded their capital. Suiciding two bombers (attacking twice) i managed to take it. Great wall for me;(all my wonders but leonardo are set to nil.) and the English (and French, Indians, And Egyptians) had to stop bothering. The big problem: the zulus had the UN, so i had to take their capital before they tried to talk to me. Success, with an attack launched from a small island i colonised just south of their territory. In a few turns all the railroad-connected Zulu main cities were mine (with the help of spies, money, howies and a few planes).
Now i'm focusing on the English (which sneak attacked). ost of my fleet was ambushed by the free Cruise-missile cheat the AI uses (shortest way there, as i couldn't get through Egyptian territory fast) so i lost my transports. I am currently launching air strikes from the formerly zulu East, and from my city by the border, on London, which i expect to take soon by the same paratroopers which took Zimbabwe and other Zulu cities.