Old May 25, 2003, 22:09   #1
Civmonopolis
Settler

Local Time: 02:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Money?
I think that I'm good at building units and cities but I have never found a decent money making strategies. If you have one please share.
Old May 25, 2003, 22:30   #2
peterfharris
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Prince

Make sure every worked tile has a road built on it. Build marketplaces, banks and stock exchanges. Do not build unnecessary improvements (eg. do you really need a barracks in every city).

The form of government effects money generation. Democracy and Republic give you a commerce bonus of one gold for every square that generates any commerce.

Later in the game (when the AI has plenty of money) you may make a lot of money selling luxuries, resources and techs to the AI. Early in the game you don't make very much on sales.

There is no great "money making strategy". No matter how much you make you can spend it all. I try to keep on the tech whilst leaving my sliders so I accumulate a bit of gold per turn (enough to save up for unit upgrades and some rush building).
Old May 26, 2003, 02:56   #3
cumi
Warlord

Local Time: 03:20
Check the AU302 and the posts from some of the "senior" players. I have also leared from that thread, how can I make really big money, like 200 gold/turn from a single AI civ etc.

I think Arrian or/and Dominae has posted such a screenshoots with explanations.
Old May 26, 2003, 03:06   #4
cumi
Warlord

Sell a tech that nobody (exept you) has yet! You will get half of the AI's empire for that, especially when you have a "good" relation to him.
Old May 26, 2003, 03:26   #5
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 05:20
Play as the French.
Old May 26, 2003, 08:19   #6
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
Play as the French.
Absolutely.
Industrious and commercial traits are the best for tons of gold. On Monarch, if you don't come up with 10'000+ gp at the Modern Era, you'll definitely do something wrong.

+ the above tips.
+ the 'hidden banker': the diplomatic screen: sell-buy-exchange-(extort) EVERY TURN.
+ (as already said) marketplaces+banks+stock exchanges+commercial docks+Smith Trading Co.
+ disband obsolete military units
+ forget about silly 300+ armies.
Old May 26, 2003, 10:08   #7
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Easy recipe during ancient era:

only research in 40 turns (or not at all);
REX and improve tiles;
allocate one city for building Colossus ASAP;
build a decent force of warriors and spearmen.

You'll notice soon being described as 'the wealthiest nation according to whatever' and you cash can easily outrun 1000 golds.

Then you lose it of course , upgrading your warriors and attacking civs for expansion and tech extortion.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old May 26, 2003, 11:03   #8
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
being THE tech whorer is probably the best money-making strategy. After a while you'll get the hang of guessing what techs the AI is slowest to research, research those, trade with one civ for the techs you don't have, and then sell them to all the other civs for a TON of gold.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 26, 2003, 15:38   #9
Civmonopolis
Settler

Thanks
Thanks everybody for the tips but unfortunately the selling tech tip is only good for the civs with money. And I think the AI isn't really good making money.
Old May 27, 2003, 03:22   #10
cumi
Warlord

Civmonopolis,

be patient. You also need a time to make big money. You will not get a lot of golds or gpt after selling Alphabet. Maybe, you have to sell it first for 2 golds.... but later, when you sell Astronomy, you will see something different.
Old May 27, 2003, 03:57   #11
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Re: Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by Civmonopolis
Thanks everybody for the tips but unfortunately the selling tech tip is only good for the civs with money. And I think the AI isn't really good making money.
On emperor and above it is

Don't be surprised at racking up over 200gpt from various civs in an emperor game where your're the tech leader.

Like cumi said, check out the AU302 thread, Some people made tremendous amounts of cash with only one city by tech whoring. I had about 20-25,000g by the time I started the space race in my 2nd game (emperor/Babs).

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 27, 2003, 04:02   #12
cumi
Warlord

Re: Re: Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

On emperor and above it is
I play mostly Regent or BELOW (...like to have fun...) and I used to get 200 gpts for techs on Warlord, too.
Old May 27, 2003, 04:22   #13
Master Zen
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by cumi

I play mostly Regent or BELOW (...like to have fun...) and I used to get 200 gpts for techs on Warlord, too.
Really? I am nowhere near at squeezing the juice out of the AI on anything below emperor. Like in Arrian's game from the PUP thread, it's on monarch, no one gives me squat for my techs despite the lead I have. No one ever seems to give me money. On emperor however, they become my personal banks

Old May 27, 2003, 04:28   #14
HAND
Warlord

Adam Smiths wonder! And Democracy..Also as previously stated selling of luxuries, building of commerce city improvements...Play as Carthage too.
Old May 27, 2003, 04:30   #15
HAND
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by HAND
...Play as Carthage too.
Thats assuming you have PTW
Old May 27, 2003, 04:47   #16
cumi
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

Really? I am nowhere near at squeezing the juice out of the AI on anything below emperor.
It is not nice from me , but I played the OCC AU 302 on the lowest difficulty level, too (just for fun )....and I sold techs for un-normal ammount of gold, gpt, lux etc...

One AI (England I think) was 1 tech behind me. I researched Synthethic Fibers, the AI something else. Most probably the AI would need also about 4 turns to research it, too, but it bought from me for over 200gpt, another techs, and about 2 lux.

I think, you just have to be in a really good relation with AI to be able to make such a good deals...

cumi
Old May 27, 2003, 06:20   #17
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR
Easy recipe during ancient era:

only research in 40 turns (or not at all);
Then you lose it of course , upgrading your warriors and attacking civs for expansion and tech extortion.

AJ
IM(H)O, this is not the best strategy. If you want to build the best Wonders (especially the GLibrary), research at max. speed.
Old May 27, 2003, 07:19   #18
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Don't know what's best strategy, but it sure does the job, also concerning wonders.

During REX-phase make specialized cities: one granary/settler pump, barracks in others, and one other for wonder prebuild = palace (build/rush temple before first). Great Lib than sure is possible. The Colossus is not so hard to get first (but start ASAP) either.
Lately I'm playing China, emperor, large continents.

I don't need to research as fast as possible, I just 'claim' (conquer) my required techs. Hit the AI hard, they'll give in to your demands. Great Leader creation is also very helpful to claim most wonders. I'll usually start researching myself mid/late medieval.

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)