Old May 26, 2003, 02:22   #31
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 21:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Checking Tassadar's profile, he has quite the interesting name:

First Name: Slavsyaotechesvanashesvobodnooye
Last Name: Braskiknarodovsoyuzvekovoy

Tell me, Slavs, does your kid ever get made fun of with the last name Braskiknarodovsoyuzvekovoy?

Hmmm, giving a rediculous fake name like that doesn't seem to me something like an adult russian man who immigrated to the US would do. That Fake name is just a cacophony of russian sounding parts of words. Sounds more to me like a kid who got caught up in the excitement of creating a fake russian persona.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 26, 2003, 02:24   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
That Fake name

If only I had a copyright on this
Old May 26, 2003, 02:38   #33
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Ah I see, Mr. Information Minister of Logan. Rather than just making up a bunch of russian sounds, you copied and pasted the first two lines from the Russian National Anthem. That is much more typical of something a father of a 15 year old son just creating a new profile...

Hmmm... you birthday is in Dec. 31, 1969 according to your profile, making you around 33 years of age. 15 years of a son and then 9 months from then would make you about 18 when you had this son? Quite the young age to be starting a family, no?

Old May 26, 2003, 02:42   #34
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 18:21
I only got 10,000 for my GI Bill. Damn Tass you better sign your boy up. 50,000 is good money.
Old May 26, 2003, 02:43   #35
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:21
Just what you deserve, Tassador, for your anti-Americanism!

(P.S. It won't be as bad as you think it will be.)
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 26, 2003, 02:44   #36
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Hmmm... you birthday is in Dec. 31, 1969 according to your profile, making you around 33 years of age. 15 years of a son and then 9 months from then would make you about 18 when you had this son? Quite the young age to be starting a family, no?
Yes. And obviously the Russian anthem was my name

Shi, do you honestly believe I'm some 5-15 year old American mormon child pretending to be an adult on internet forums ALL DAY simply wasting time by debating about politics?
Old May 26, 2003, 02:44   #37
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 22:21
Quote:

Hmmm... you birthday is in Dec. 31, 1969 according to your profile,
He's a unix file, isn't he?
Old May 26, 2003, 03:09   #38
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:21
Tass :

This is horrible and I feel your pain.

While I agree with H Tower that your son must be in his rebellious years and that it should abate at some point, I'd however encourage you to take steps for this period to end ASAP.

Of course, your parenting forums can help to this effect, but if I may suggest :

- encourage him to do some social activity (sports, videogames, book club, music, whatever) he isn't doing now. He needs a new set of friends to avoid having such ideas. He also needs to let off the steam by doing something he enjoys without parental monitoring. Use the soft ways of persuasion, and try preferably to guide him to an activity he likes.

- Do not talk about politics at home until he stops his nonsense. Don't give him any material for him to oppose for the sake of opposing. Avoid to talk about the topic of his enlistment altogether.

- If needed, make him a computer dork. Better have a dorkish son than a dead son.

- If possible, send him on vacation with a group of friends / other teenagers (no matter if they are unknown actually) with lots of girls. He may change his mind if he has a girlfriend. Do not actively encourage him to have a girlfriend though : advice or attempts to hook him up are no-nos (gosh I hated that when my mother tried )

Hope it'll turn out all right !
Old May 26, 2003, 03:11   #39
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"Shi, do you honestly believe I'm some 5-15 year old American mormon child pretending to be an adult on internet forums ALL DAY simply wasting time by debating about politics? "

We've had plenty of high school kids waste inordinate amounts of time on Poly debating stuff. Adult posters are usually more likely however to have lives and jobs that get in the way with that. You supposedly have family, (was it 3 kids you said you had before?)something that would take even more time away from internet posting.

Sure, I suppose it is possible we have someone old enough to have a 15 year old son, likely older then 33 judging from your last comment(though it was most likely a blunder you made with your persona) who names himself after a character from Starcraft, who plays Nation States(back when I was doing story threads like that there wasn't a single person above Age 25), who has claimed to be a patriot for three countries (Russia, USA, and India), who chooses to live in America and in Logan of all places for someone who has strong anti-US feelings, who says he is from the information ministry, who enters the name of the Russian National Anthe as his age, in addition all the other stuff you would do that is out of character for your age...

It's a possible situation. It just seems the more likely scenario is that you are above linked Net Rat.

Old May 26, 2003, 03:13   #40
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
He also needs to let off the steam by doing something he enjoys without parental monitoring. Use the soft ways of persuasion, and try preferably to guide him to an activity he likes.
But hes a teenager! How can I trust him to behave himself? What if he goes out and has sex and dies of AIDS or something?!

Quote:
- Do not talk about politics at home until he stops his nonsense. Don't give him any material for him to oppose for the sake of opposing. Avoid to talk about the topic of his enlistment altogether.
This will be easy to do.

Quote:
- If needed, make him a computer dork. Better have a dorkish son than a dead son.
But how? I can't force him to read books about computers, and while he can find his way around most things....he usually doesnt seem to have any interest.

Quote:
- If possible, send him on vacation with a group of friends / other teenagers (no matter if they are unknown actually) with lots of girls. He may change his mind if he has a girlfriend. Do not actively encourage him to have a girlfriend though : advice or attempts to hook him up are no-nos (gosh I hated that when my mother tried )
SEND HIM OUT ON A VACATION AWAY FROM ME WITH GIRLS?! Again, hes a teenager. I don't think he'd be able to resist lust....
Old May 26, 2003, 03:17   #41
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
SEND HIM OUT ON A VACATION AWAY FROM ME WITH GIRLS?! Again, hes a teenager. I don't think he'd be able to resist lust....
This is precisely the point. Besides, he's 15, it's about time the show begins. Trust me, many problems will be solved if he finds a girlfriend (whose half-life is generally short at that age).
Make sure he goes with the right people though, so good liberal middle class whose daughters have been raised in believing relationship must be significant. Not some gangstas who consider relationships to be only about sex.
Old May 26, 2003, 03:19   #42
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Better have a dorkish son than a dead son.
What makes you think that being a soldier is as dangerous as you and Tass are making it out to be?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 26, 2003, 03:20   #43
Spiffor

Oh, and more generally, progressively stop to coddle him. Most rebellious youth are so because their parents invest way too much time and energy in remote-controlling them.
He is not a child anymore and 15 is the age where he needs increasing freedom from the parents' grasp.
Let him have some or all of its freedom, and he should be much less attracted in the 'adventurous' military life.

Then again, you're in Utah. A dull community can kill any freedom when the parents have stopped to do so
Old May 26, 2003, 03:21   #44
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Quote:
Better have a dorkish son than a dead son.
What makes you think that being a soldier is as dangerous as you and Tass are making it out to be?
Actually, it's not because of the danger that I don't want Tass' son to enlist, but I'm using phrases to be more convincing
Old May 26, 2003, 03:24   #45
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 12:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

But hes a teenager! How can I trust him to behave himself? What if he goes out and has sex and dies of AIDS or something?!
He's much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to his girlfriend's house.

Quote:
Hey, I sat next to a girl I liked for an entire year in Year 12 and nothing happened.

Edit: So it's not relevant. Sue me.
Old May 26, 2003, 04:05   #46
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 05:21
2Tassadar
[quote News]
Сегодня в Израиле был похоронен Кирилл Шрамко, погибший при исполнении служебных обязаностей. Он приехал в Израиль и служил в танковых частях. После окончания службы в армии он стал работать охранником. В Израиле родственнико, кроме дяди, не было. В момент смерти мать и отец были в России и они прилетели в Израиль через два дня. Отец в момент смерти сына находился на заработках в сибири, далеко от аэропорта и поэтому его перевезли специально присланным вертолётом[/quote]

Tassadar, what do you think about your country, where people prefer to serve in country, that in state of war, than in motherland? I agree with your son, that US army per 100 better than Russian army.
Old May 26, 2003, 04:11   #47
muxec
Prince

Россия отстойная наша держава,
Россия прикольная наша страна
ГУЛАГа могучая воля и слава
Твоё достоянье на все времена.

Славься отечество наше дородное
Братских народов союз вековой.
Предками данная мудрость народная!
Славься страна... Мы гордимся тобой?

PS: to all those who dont know Russian- ask Tassadar for translating
Old May 26, 2003, 04:29   #48
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 20:21
Shi Huangdi, Investigative Reporter for NewsChannelONE!

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 26, 2003, 05:22   #49
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You're blowing this way out of proportion. Even I've considered joining the navy after graduating from college, and I'm as pacifistic and anti-American foreign policy as they get.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 26, 2003, 05:24   #50
Nubclear

Quote:
who names himself after a character from Starcraft,
Would you prefer if I change my name?

Quote:
who plays Nation States
Would you prefer I stopped playing Nation States? Apparently, I'm too old to be playing silly little games, aren't I?

Quote:
who has claimed to be a patriot for three countries
And will continue to claim exactly that.

Quote:
who chooses to live in America
Ah ha! Now were really getting into the meat of things, aren't we? Your attempting to prove me to be a "child" because you want to attempt to discredit my opinions.

Shi, I regarded you as one of the more intelligent conservatives here but after this debacle....It makes me wonder

Quote:
and in Logan of all places
I've already explained THIS as well, somewhere. My wife wanted to live in Utah, so we came to Utah. I used to live in Ogden, and Salt Lake City. Now I'm in Logan.

If your willing to give me the money to move elsewhere, I'd gladly accept it.

Quote:
anti-US feelings,

This I KNOW I've stated in many threads. I'm not against AMERICA. I'm against current American policies.

Quote:
who enters the name of the Russian National Anthe
Forgetting the obvious error here: Ask Ming. I've edited my name many times. My first name was (I believe0 "Tassadar Tassadar". I decided I didn't like that when I logged into Poly, so I changed it. And one day I was experimenting and simply decided to type the Russian anthem and see how much would be accepted.

But since you seem to have an issue with it (Although its far more likely you have an issue with my beliefs ) I'll change it.

Quote:
in addition all the other stuff you would do that is out of character for your age...
Alright, lets list a few other things that aren't quite "my age":

-I like anthems.
-I'm a communist.
-A post on internet forums regularly.
-I play video games.
-I like flags.
-I like politics.

Shi, quite frankly I'm disappointed in you. You have not only proved your ignorance once again but you have also proven that you will stop at no conspiracy theory in order to make your side seem more "credible". I always regarded such drivel as coming from Ned and Slowwy (No offense intended, of course ) but not from you.
I'm more than willing to continue to prove that I'm quite aged, however if you'd like you can bow out now and I will simply accept it as a surrender agreement. It's your choice.

Now, back to the subject:

Quote:
The fact that their, uh, part of the military is one

Muxec: No, the Russian Army is FAR worse, especially when it comes to human rights. But quite frankly, I don't want him to join ANYTHING as it would put his life in danger.

Quote:
He's much more likely to die in a car accident on the way to his girlfriend's house.
But his behavior is so reckless....He'll suddenly stop doing his schoolwork or chores or talk back or go to a friends house without informing me.....I don't see how I can trust him.

Quote:
Most rebellious youth are so because their parents invest way too much time and energy in remote-controlling them.
But how? I mean, if I stop now then he'll simply continue the rebellion. I don't see how it would be safe to let him do what he wants!
Old May 26, 2003, 05:26   #51
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
You're blowing this way out of proportion. Even I've considered joining the navy after graduating from college, and I'm as pacifistic and anti-American foreign policy as they get.
Sigh...

But I can't help but think "What if" this happens to my child? What if he gets seriously hurt? Or worse? I'd never be able to live with myself knowing I could have somehow done SOMETHING in order to prevent him from joining and consequently prevented a serious injury.

I know, the chances are a "bit" low of it happening, but.....I just can't help but think that someday I'll be watching TV and my sons picture will come up as a POW or KIA.....
Old May 26, 2003, 05:28   #52
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

then I hope you don't allow him to drive anywhere, or fly anywhere, or operate heavy machinery for that matter. What if something happened to him? How could you live with yourself knowing you were able to prevent it all from taking place! The truth is, you can't prevent anything, and joining the military is not a condemnation, but a career, like so many others.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 26, 2003, 05:31   #53
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
then I hope you don't allow him to drive anywhere, or fly anywhere, or operate heavy machinery for that matter. What if something happened to him? How could you live with yourself knowing you were able to prevent it all from taking place! The truth is, you can't prevent anything, and joining the military is not a condemnation, but a career, like so many others.
Yes but......I still can't help but obsess over this. I mean....

Quote:
Sigh...

But I can't help but think "What if" this happens to my child? What if he gets seriously hurt? Or worse? I'd never be able to live with myself knowing I could have somehow done SOMETHING in order to prevent him from joining and consequently prevented a serious injury.

I know, the chances are a "bit" low of it happening, but.....I just can't help but think that someday I'll be watching TV and my sons picture will come up as a POW or KIA.....
Old May 26, 2003, 06:55   #54
Chemical Ollie
King

I think every kid should join the defense forces. That's how it used to be when I was young. It's an experience. But we only served for a year, and our government didn't send us abroad on wars on aggression, which makes it quite different from your situation.
Old May 26, 2003, 06:58   #55
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Сегодня в Израиле был похоронен Кирилл Шрамко, погибший при исполнении служебных обязаностей. Он приехал в Израиль и служил в танковых частях. После окончания службы в армии он стал работать охранником. В Израиле родственнико, кроме дяди, не было. В момент смерти мать и отец были в России и они прилетели в Израиль через два дня. Отец в момент смерти сына находился на заработках в сибири, далеко от аэропорта и поэтому его перевезли специально присланным вертолётом

Россия отстойная наша держава,
Россия прикольная наша страна
ГУЛАГа могучая воля и слава
Твоё достоянье на все времена.

Славься отечество наше дородное
Братских народов союз вековой.
Предками данная мудрость народная!
Славься страна... Мы гордимся тобой?
Is that really Russian? There's an accent on every letter. What is said in that quote, Tassadar?
Old May 26, 2003, 07:08   #56
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:21
Let him make his own decisions. Ask him to defend the position he has chosen. But you can't force him to live his life wrapped up in cotton - the more you try to control his life the more he will want to rebel.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:08   #57
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I'm with orange and Asher...

You should support him, whatever he chooses... One thing you can do, though, is make sure he doesn't just rush into it, but knows what he gets himself into.

So maybe you can join him to some open house day (or whatever it's called, the American military must surely have lots of things to encourage recruitment), or he could go to a military summer camp or something... Well, I don't even know anything about our military, let alone the US military, but I'm sure there are lots of possibilities.

And if it's only about being rebellious, maybe showing that you support him in this will be enough to change his mind.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:24   #58
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac

Is that really Russian? There's an accent on every letter.
You should set the text encoding in your browser to Cyrillic.

Quote:
What is said in that quote, Tassadar?
um... It mentions Russia and the Gulag in the second paragraph, but that's about as far as my Russian goes.
Old May 26, 2003, 07:27   #59
Ari Rahikkala
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac Is that really Russian? There's an accent on every letter. What is said in that quote, Tassadar?
You're using a wrong character set. Mozilla renders this page with windows-1251, which seems to produce correct Cyrillic characters. I need to check the source to see what charset is actually in use, though...
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old May 26, 2003, 07:35   #60
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Ah yes thanks. I've changes a setting and now I see the Greek-like Cyrillic letters.