Old May 26, 2003, 17:00   #1
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is your favorite modification you made to the game?
I was modding some part of the game... and I was thinking what is the best modification people made habitually to the game!!?

For me:
I stole many idea from the Player1 mod:

: I give wheel flag to all wheeled unit.
: + 50% for all Space Ships piece.
: Taxmen and Scientist give 2 than 1.
:- Prequisite tech for Ironclad unit is now Industrialization (instead of Steam Power).
: Attack bonus against barabarians is lowered.
: Late game naval units have increased movment by 1.
: Helicopters can now transport 2 foot units and 8 of Zone of Opera.
: Musketmen gets 3/4/1 stats, cost 60
: Musketeer gets 4/4/1 stats, cost 60
:Rifleman gets: 5/6/1
: Some Air Units gets Lethal Sea Bomb and some others get Lethal Sea and Land Bomb.
: Longevity get 1 happy faces around the world, in combo with old effect.
:Cure for Cancer effect to 2 happy face
- Oh yeah I forget my Summer Palace...
=====
- Now i test my new unit with Hidden Nationality flag called "Saboters". 2/6/1 (all terrain like road). Why 2 of attack: This is Saboters, I dont want them to capture City.
- Do you think Wealth is a bit too low?

See ya!

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; May 26, 2003 at 17:47.
Old May 26, 2003, 17:31   #2
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 21:23
My favorite mod? How about the whole damn modern age tech tree?

Click the link in my signature!
Old May 26, 2003, 17:38   #3
CrONoS
Emperor

hahahhahahahahha...

I will try your mod, maybe even tonight!!!!
I will Import your mod to my Main Mod(with Fascism and my favorites minor modification)
================
But I will love to know some minor modification you make to the game? When you prefer to play a "normal" game!

See ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; May 26, 2003 at 17:46.
Old May 26, 2003, 18:36   #4
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Hi!
I have made many modifications, but I guess I'll only list my favorites.

-Modern units are wheeled (like yours)
-Marines A=10 D=6, Para=A=6 D=10
-Added Terrorist/ Freedom Fighter unit
-Increased ship movements by a lot. (I play huge maps)
-subs/ AEGIS carry Cruise Missiles

Many more changes done, but they're small and not worth mentioning. Also none of my changes put the A.I. at a disadvantage. At least I hope they don't
Old May 26, 2003, 18:51   #5
CrONoS
Emperor

Kaos:
What is the Spec of your Terrorist/Freedom Fighter?

Tanx

Old May 26, 2003, 19:10   #6
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 20:23
lethal bombardment for cruise missiles for sure...

i also like roads allow movement of 5 and settlers and workers get two movement points to speed up games on really big maps.

i also make entertainers worth two, cuz the thought of 1/4 the population working to entertain the rest is kind of odd, even though its still too high...
Old May 26, 2003, 19:35   #7
CrONoS
Emperor

bobo:

Do you raise the cost of your Cruise Missile when you add Letal Bombardment?

See ya!

Old May 26, 2003, 19:48   #8
WarpStorm
King

Take a guess.

Templar, is your mod just the modern age? I've modded the rules up till there, but haven't found a mix that works for it yet.
Old May 26, 2003, 19:55   #9
bobbo008
Prince

i think i raise it twenty shields, wait more... i forgot how much

i like the modern age to be more than just modern armor and mech infantry, but i also dont want to turn the game into an arms race simply of cruise missiles...
Old May 26, 2003, 21:51   #10
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
Kaos:
What is the Spec of your Terrorist/Freedom Fighter?

Tanx
I downloaded the Terrorist unit from CFC over a year ago. It comes with Refining and it has Hidden Nationality, Foot Unit, and Cruise Missile tags. The stats currently are;

A=1
D=0
M=1
Bombard=12
Range=2
Rate of Fire=2

The stats are always changing as I experiment and see how the AI uses them. It can capture Workers, but the unit works like a C.M. in that when you select the target it will run into it and blow itself up. Because of the C.M. tag it only targets enemy military like a Freedom Fighter. I gave it Precision Strike, but haven't gone deep into the game to see what happens.
Old May 27, 2003, 00:23   #11
Mad Bomber
King

I have:

* Increased bombardment values for all units and have given defensive bombardment capability to all units using ranged fire.

* Modded all defensive units to increase attack values.
pikemen 2.3.1
Musketmen 3.4.1
Riflemen 5.6.1
Infantry 8.10.1
Guerilla 7.8.2
Marine 14.10.1
Para 10.14.2

* Have also modded the Guerilla to not require gpt support and ignore rough terrain.

* Gave lethal bombardment to all planes, artillery and radar artillery, destroyers, battleships, aegis cruisers, and cruise missles.

* Increased range of all planes, helicopters, and paras.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old May 27, 2003, 00:35   #12
CrONoS
Emperor

* Have also modded the Guerilla to not require gpt support and ignore rough terrain.
===
that's a good idea!!

Old May 27, 2003, 13:01   #13
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

i made guerillas invisible with a high attack but low defense. this simulates the element of surprise attacks, but they dont defend very well.

I also substantially raised the value of fortifications, walls, town/city/metros, while somewhat lowering basic unit defense. this seems more realistic to me that a unit in the open is much easier to kill than one that is prepared. this actually helps the AI because they tend to keep alot of units in its cities so they are much harder to take, whereas i tend to leave cities less defended and to have most of my units patroling borders. this gives me a reason to actually build forts.
Old May 27, 2003, 13:21   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Lethal bombardment for the more modern units, particularly with regards to naval units. Usually I just play vanilla however.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old May 27, 2003, 13:24   #15
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 19:23
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
lethal bombardment for cruise missiles for sure...
Quote:
Do you raise the cost of your Cruise Missile when you add Letal Bombardment?
Even though the "lethal bombard" flag is not checked for the cruise missle, it does in fact lethally bombard in the standard rules -- lethal bombard is an attribute of the CM without the flag checked!

Catt
Old May 27, 2003, 13:37   #16
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

1) Hidden nationality!
for a land unit, Special forces that paradrop and destroy resources (AI can really jack up your game with them)
for submarines
I used them for stealth planes and it was fun but I'm going to pull back a bit on it (see below)

2) Airborne brigade
an army unit that only carries two foot units and I gave it a airdrop range and ability and a few more hp. To make paratroopers stronger behind lines. I used the paradrop graphic so it looked like a multi-figure unit but the color got mixed up. If I figure out why I may make a new unit out of this, just the flag with a paratrooper.

3) make differnt wealths for different govts. like democracy has capitalism so it was like wealth but i added more production like a factory (for more gold) and a science bonus to represent an economy with out govt interference.

new ones I'm testing:

1) Added the guerrilla attack flc and sounds to the Worker Modern Times.INI and then made a worker unit but added a space after it. made it have worker abilities and a defense of 10. I use this to make another guerrilla unit "farmer by day, guerrilla by night" so I try to take workers they may surprise by some fighting back.

2) Air specializing: stealth bombers with very long range. stealth fighters with hidden nationality (debating if a regular bombard or only precision), heavy bomber with moves of three or more for multiple attack. close air support a10, the only one with lethal bombardment. an air superiority fighter, a recon plane. so have to have a mix of aircraft instead of jet fighters and stealth bombers.
Old May 27, 2003, 13:37   #17
CrONoS
Emperor

Catt:
Yep you're right... so bad I do not think about my last game...
I was playing Monarch on a Large Map in the modern world. The A.I. succeed to take my only city with Rubber so I was unable to build any Tank...

I've got Cavalry VS Modern Armor...

In this time, I must assure you that all my city was building Cruise Missile/bomber and Guerilla/Cavalry, and cruise missile help me a lots...

Oh yeah, I succeed to make Peace with one of the A.I.( I was in war vs 4 A.I.) who got Rubber to sold!!! After this... this was Piece of Cake!

KrONoS_QC = World Dominator ( my girlfriend bought me a shirt written World Dominator, I think this is the best gift I've never received)

E:
Quote:
democracy has capitalism so it was like wealth but i added more production like a factory (for more gold) and a science bonus to represent an economy with out govt interference.
How do you add this in the Editor, in the Government panel there is nothing about Production And Science Bonus? Or something like that

Thanx,

So have nice day everyone

Old May 27, 2003, 18:00   #18
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
I was playing Monarch on a Large Map in the modern world. The A.I. succeed to take my only city with Rubber so I was unable to build any Tank...

I've got Cavalry VS Modern Armor...

In this time, I must assure you that all my city was building Cruise Missile/bomber and Guerilla/Cavalry, and cruise missile help me a lots...
A similar thing just occured to me. Playing a random standard map (8 civs) it appeared that the settings were maximum water, pangaea, warm and wet -- there was only a bit of desert and a bit of tundra. With the discovery of refining I learned that there were only 3 sources of oil in the world -- none in my territory, but one just over a border. The minimum land setting meant that my borders were often only one tile from an enemy city -- we were crammed in pretty tight. I paid an exhorbitant amount for oil to take on an agressor civ, but didn't have the resources to fight a two front war and seize some oil. As I entered the modern age and my war was won, I was down to 6 or 8 tanks with no way to trade for oil. I planned to build up a bunch of cruise missles, prepare for a modern armor blitz and then seize the world. The Russians, with oil just outside my border, declared war before I could get close to Synthetic Fibers -- but I had already built up a stockpile of around 60! cruise missles. Using only cruise missles, I destroyed mech infantry (and infantry) defending 5 AI cities (all but one a metropolis) while doing no damage to city improvements, of course. Cavalry just rolled right into the undefended cities and the oil was mine! A same turn upgrade to mech infantry and builds set to tanks immediately insured that I had the forces to defend my captures and then press on within a turn or two.

First time I've used CM's extensively in a long time, but served their purpose well in that game.

Catt
Old May 27, 2003, 18:34   #19
Rimpy
Settler

I had my favorite mod in mind when I saw this thread, and then after reading Catt's and crono_qc's stories, it reminded me of the reason why it's my favorite mod.

My most memorable games of Civ3 are the ones where once you finally get the tech to reveal some important strategic resource, like oil and rubber, you then find out that there's none of your territory. So then you have to enter an unplanned war with less-than-ideal units to fight for it.

To force more of these scenarios, I lowered the amount of strategic resources to 40% of their current number. Not 40 as the editor setting, but rather take the current setting and multiply it by 0.4. There aren't enough resources to go around, so you have to fight for whatever you're missing.

It can make for some very exciting games, try it sometime.
Old May 27, 2003, 21:01   #20
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Zero-range bombard for archers, Longbowmen and guerilla. It makes these units much more interresting (not that the archer wasn't interresting...)
Old May 28, 2003, 01:03   #21
Carver
Prince

I've mane a bunch of little tweaks but the most important one is simply increasing the aircraft and cruise missle ranges. My stats are:

................range bomb st. att def r.o.f.
F-15.........12 10 10 6 3
jet fighter.12 10 8 4 3
bomber.....10 9 0 2 3
fighter.......8 4 4 2 1
stealth b....18 16 0 0 5
stealth f....35 0 0 0 0

I actually renamed the stealth fighter the SR-71 Blackbird and use it solely as a long range recon plane.

Also, you can see I made the jet fighter a little better than the bomber all around. Think of a modern fighter plane (like the Su-27) compared with a WW2 bomber - the Su 27 should be more powerful even in ground attack, especially when you consider increased accuracy. I updated AI strats to use the jet fighter to bomb and for air sup.

Other than that I've increased the moves of most naval units by one.

The helo transports two with a range of 8, and I gave it a weak (strength 6, rof 2) bombing ability.

I give the AEGIS cruiser 7 moves and a bombard range of six to simulate cruise missles.

One more fun thing I did was let (non-nuclear) submarines carry one unit.
Old May 28, 2003, 11:15   #22
CrONoS
Emperor

Quote:
Think of a modern fighter plane (like the Su-27) compared with a WW2 bomber - the Su 27 should be more powerful even in ground attack, especially when you consider increased accuracy. I updated AI strats to use the jet fighter to bomb and for air sup.
The B52 flew for the first time in 1954...

For me your Jet Fighter is a way too strong. Me, I'll lower your R.O.F. to 2.(Bomber can carry more bombs than jet fighter) and you Bombard value, since again, Bomber can carry more bombs than any Jet Fighter... even old bomber.

But I understand you make this, since your Stealth Fighter is used at Recon...

For me I think I will create a Air Units for Recon only, named the SR-71...
I think the Recon Air Plane is a really good idea.

see ya

Old May 28, 2003, 15:32   #23
epics
Warlord

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
cronos: bombers in wwII carried up to 8 tons of bombs. A10 carries 7 tons. not very big difference
Old May 29, 2003, 02:23   #24
Mad Bomber
King

Epics:

However the bomber represents all bombers not just those of ww2. with a payload in excess of 75,000 lbs (or 38 tons) the B-52 like most modern day bombers have bombloads that dwarf those of the best fighter-bombers. Lets hope that Firaxis put in some of the units they left out (super carriers, jet bombers, recon planes, mobile artillery, motorized infantry, crusiers, ect) in the next XP.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:01   #25
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I reduced the Man o War it was way too powerful
Old May 29, 2003, 08:28   #26
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Epics:

However the bomber represents all bombers not just those of ww2. with a payload in excess of 75,000 lbs (or 38 tons) the B-52 like most modern day bombers have bombloads that dwarf those of the best fighter-bombers. Lets hope that Firaxis put in some of the units they left out (super carriers, jet bombers, recon planes, mobile artillery, motorized infantry, crusiers, ect) in the next XP.
Why would they bother when just about all of these can be downloaded anyway?

I'm having fun adding minefields, both land and naval. It's not a complete success yet but I'm working on it.

I'm also messing about with naval air, but that's at an even earlier stage. I would like to create ASW helos and naval only aircraft, but I'm still not up to speed on the editor. I'll keep trying.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 29, 2003, 08:30   #27
Ekmek
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

E:
How do you add this in the Editor, in the Government panel there is nothing about Production And Science Bonus? Or something like that

I actually add an improvement called capitalism, but make it only available to democracies. thats where i add production and science bonus.
Old May 29, 2003, 08:36   #28
VJ
King

Local Time: 02:23
Major changes on goverments (I made the democracy's corruption communal, for one).
Old May 29, 2003, 11:03   #29
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:23
I have made a few changes in my mod, but they are quite drastic and make the game much better IMHO :

- map trading pushed back to navigation, and communication trading pushed back to radio. You don't have the whole map revealed + all contacts by 2000 BC anymore

- all units HPs doubled, and all bombing units' firepower doubled too. It makes flukes much less important in combat, and empowers the bombers a bit (more chances to hit buildings)

- Dramatic increase of ship's movement points, and Navigation now gives Galleons, Frigates, Privateers, Man-O-War. The medieval exploration age is triggered by navigation (almost alone) and the age of sail is interesting at last.
Old May 29, 2003, 20:29   #30
Cruddy
Warlord

Spiffor, those sound like some good ideas. I'll give them a try - it's a bit odd to get the world map so early when you consider exploration continued almost into the 20th century!

Thanks.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84