View Poll Results: Should we impose a cap on faction numbers?
1) Yes 8 22.22%
1) No 12 33.33%
1) Abstain 2 5.56%
2) Twice the size of the least popular faction 7 19.44%
2) 3 times the size of the least popular faction 1 2.78%
2) Half the total number of participants 3 8.33%
2) 25 People 1 2.78%
2) Write-in 2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2003, 19:30   #1
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Limit's to new members?
If you look at the members in each faction, you will notice that the Hive has many more members than any other. I am proposing that we put a limit on the amount of people who can join a faction, as the more people one has, the more active it seems, and thus the more people want to join it.

Therefore I ask you:

1) Do you want to have a cap on numbers?

2) What cap do you want it to be.

You have 3 days, please vote for one from 1, and 1 from 2 if you vote yes in 1.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 26, 2003, 19:44   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 21:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We should try to balance out the number and suggest new members to factions that are in need of members, but I would have to say no to mandating a specific limit number.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:03   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

As do I, but people come and say as their first post which they want to join, and they are let in. There isn't time to persuade them usually. Therefore I think it is needed, and favour twice the number of the least. That means, say the least is at the moment the CyCon, with 8, the most any faction is allowed is 16. Seems reasonable, and would stop everyone joining the Hive, as seems to be happening at the moment. I don't want to see this turn into a Hive DG with a few other factions play by small teams.

Old May 26, 2003, 20:14   #4
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:24
i think we should have a staggered system. Where the largest faction becomes "locked" and cannot accept new members until another faction gets within a reasonable amount of members. So say the Hive becomes locked at 17. We cannot accept new members until the P.U.T obtains, say, 14 members.

Basically there would be a threshhold that would be reached for max pop until another faction gets close.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 26, 2003, 20:16   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 12:24
I would usually say "the more the merrier" but that means that a lot of people will end up sitting around their faction forums with nothing to say or do.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:18   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I vote more than half the total members, but I also forgot to click "yes" whoops.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:18   #7
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
We should try to balance out the number and suggest new members to factions that are in need of members, but I would have to say no to mandating a specific limit number.
who says the factions need members
Old May 26, 2003, 20:31   #8
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
i think we should have a staggered system. Where the largest faction becomes "locked" and cannot accept new members until another faction gets within a reasonable amount of members. So say the Hive becomes locked at 17. We cannot accept new members until the P.U.T obtains, say, 14 members.

Basically there would be a threshhold that would be reached for max pop until another faction gets close.
That's what the double lowest faction is. Once the lowest faction moves up, the highest one can go up too. It means it can grow as the game grows, but never gets too out of sequence with the others. Thus the Hive cannot get more members until the CyCon has 1 more (9) members.

Old May 26, 2003, 20:33   #9
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

While I don't like the idea of limiting people to certain factions, I must say that the current trend is disturbing. I think that no more than half the total members should be in a certain faction. Of course, if it gets to the point where people aren't joining because they can't get into their favourite faction, maybe we should just accept the reality that lots of people are going to have to quit early when the Hive is defeated.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:38   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Edited by the Ministry of Information

Last edited by Jamski; May 26, 2003 at 21:07.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:40   #11
Drogue
staff

But you let them in? I had someone called "yousuck" try to join. They don't even show up on the member list, so somehow I don't think I'll be letting them in.

Old May 26, 2003, 20:46   #12
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Edited by the Department of Hiverian Public Safety.

Last edited by Frankychan; May 26, 2003 at 21:06.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:46   #13
Jamski
Deity

deleted by Jam

Last edited by Jamski; May 26, 2003 at 21:06.
Old May 26, 2003, 20:53   #14
Drogue
staff

I can't see any of the CyCon doing that. Most of us are ex-ACDG1, and are known to be in it for fun, RP and long term, rather than just to win, and those that aren't seem very trustworthy to me.

Old May 26, 2003, 21:10   #15
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 03:24
I have two new members on hold and in the excitment of being a mod, I let in a GeminRai. GeminiRai hasn't posted since he joined with a 1/2 day 7 post burst.

I would like to de-list him/her but I don't know how.

I now require a definite email address.

If I had accepted some new volunteers, the Pirates would be at 11.
Old May 26, 2003, 21:15   #16
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Hive Security is getting lax, those posts were up for at least half an hour before they were deleted!
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 26, 2003, 21:30   #17
Jamski
Deity

20 minutes, I'd say

-Jam
Old May 26, 2003, 21:35   #18
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 03:24
I am not in favour of limits but I am in favour of a proper recruitment thread: a new faction sign ups thread. Also in other forums the Mods are sceptical of new posters with no posting history suddenly wishing to join factions.
Now some new candidates even provide a SMAC/X playing posting history.
(check the intersite Civ3 DG).

As far as is reasonable I try to check a new pirate members creditionals. I don't want to hamper enthusiasm. The most basic requirement is a working email address.

God if I accepted everyone who wanted to join the pirates we'd have 54 members at least.
Old May 26, 2003, 21:38   #19
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

hercules, are you serious? thats ****ing ridiculous!
Old May 26, 2003, 21:43   #20
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
we'd have 54 members at least.
Ah these darned voice-activated word programs. He actually dictated five more and the stoooopid program heard five four

G.
Old May 26, 2003, 23:22   #21
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

No need for a cap.

If it is a matter of a faction getting too crowded, then politely inform them that application for membership is closed.

Plus i like being in a small faction. If more want to join that's fine, but how helpful is it forcing someone into a faction they'd rather not be in?
Old May 26, 2003, 23:31   #22
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Double what foolish_icarus said!

Why is it that some people just can't have a complete day without making a rule for somebody else to have to live by?
Old May 26, 2003, 23:45   #23
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

its hive nature mongoose, you we know this
Old May 27, 2003, 01:05   #24
Frankychan
King

Check the thread starter and you'll see that we didn't. The Hive is merely contributing it's thoughts.
Old May 27, 2003, 07:52   #25
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:24
I voted no.
I see no sense in closing out potential Joiners just because "there are already 2 people to much in that faction"/ "you have to wait till 3 more people join the University"

Sounds rubbish to me.

Free Forums! Free Nation! Free Drones!
Old May 27, 2003, 08:29   #26
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:24
I voted no. It's up to the individual factions to attract new members. I have no idea what we the CyCon could do that besides what we have already done though. I thought the CyCon would be one of the most popular factions, judging from all those "Who is your favourite faction?" polls in the SMAC-General/Help/Strategy forum.

00111111000110111010000111010010010010000010000001 11011110001011111001101011111001100001101000001000 01000100111010100111000101111010100110011100101001 10010000110010000010000001110111101100011100110010 10011011110101001000100001000000001110101001100101 00100001110100000000110111100100110100110000000111 10110011101010011100010111100010111011010011000110 11110111011100000001111001101010001001010111011100 00100000001110101000100100010100101011101011101000
Old May 27, 2003, 08:49   #27
Jamski
Deity

The trouble with the CyCon is that you're just not evil enough. You're the diet coke of evil - only one calorie, not evil enough

-Jam
Old May 27, 2003, 09:20   #28
Drogue
staff

Mongoose: Because one of my, and many peoples, fears at the begining was that it would turn into a normal DG with a few other factions operated by a couple of people. It is self-perpetuating, many people IMHO join the Hive because it has the most people, and thus seems the most active. I just wanted to make it that other teams don't die out, causing the game to stop. We're not making rules for the sake of it, but we need to discuss things, and at the start, like now, seems like a good time to do it.

Maniac: 01011110000101010110000001011010001111011001011011 00110110100111000101110011101111001100100100110101 01010011100010111011110010101010010000000011010010 01100111001110011101010111001000000001111011001011 01100111010100100100100110001110101111100100111000 10000010000000000011110100011000110111100110010010 01001010111001010011001011101001100000001100101001 10000100000011101111000100100000100000111100101111 10011101010010100010111110010010100010010010110010 00001000001001101010101001100101001010001011111111 00100111100100010100110000000111110100111111100110 00110111100110011000010000110010011100010001000000 01110001001000001000010101001110011011110001001000 10100100000100001000101110100100111011100111010100 10111010011000000011101011010100110010001010010000 11101000001000011101001011011001110101001000101001 00001110100000100001010110101001100100010100100001 11010000000011100010111110010010001010011100110011 00001000010101001100101001010001011100001000010001 01111001110101111100100100100100010100110000100001 00010111110011010100111010011000010111010010100000 11110010000111011

Old May 27, 2003, 11:25   #29
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Well, the groups seem healthily sized enough:

I think Jamski has it right - with the exception of maybe the Pirates, the others are kinda vanilla factions, researchers/builders, much like the Peacekeepers

Morgan might have attracted a following, esp if they RP'd an economic victory, or Gaians, going for a green conquest.

We seem to have 79 registered for the DG general forum, and 53 cumulative for the private forums - even with me registered for all five PF's (and possibly GT as well) it still doesn't compute. Where's the discrepancy?

G.
Old May 27, 2003, 11:39   #30
Jamski
Deity

Its a shame we don't have Lal for a good old fashioned "good vs evil contest" - hopefully one of the other factions will take the "good guys" role to oppose the evil evil Hive. But all the factions are a bit evil in this game....

-Jam