Old May 27, 2003, 06:11   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
And as long as environments continue to change. Without change in the envrionment, there would be no need for evolution.
If a single species in that environment changes, then that itself changes the environment.
Old May 27, 2003, 06:12   #32
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:24
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Check out the stuff by Teliard (sp?) de Chardin. He saw evolution as a God designed process that's heading toward the Omega Point, a stage when mankind has evolved into all loving Christ-like figures.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 27, 2003, 09:16   #33
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:24
Have you been reading Hyperion lately?
Old May 27, 2003, 11:58   #34
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: What is the end of evolution?
Death.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 27, 2003, 12:05   #35
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 21:24
From what I have been able to ascertain, official status as a horse's ass.

Old May 27, 2003, 12:13   #36
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
That pic depicts an ass' ass.
Old May 27, 2003, 16:36   #37
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 20:24
Quit being a smartass.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:00   #38
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

There's always something to improve - also because the enviroment is changing
Old May 28, 2003, 14:47   #39
Neutrino
Settler

Evolution is the change in gene frequencies over time. Thus, to stop biological evolution, variation among a species must be 0 (homozygous for every allele), and mutations would have to be non-existant. Without those 2 mechanisms, differential reproductive success would be 0 since there is only 1 constant genotype.

Any time there are more than 1 genotypes of species, evolution will occur.
Old May 28, 2003, 15:52   #40
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Uberkrux, the article you posted does not claim it is possible to make a truly intelligent machine

About the original post, who knows.. I have been reading about genes recently (Matt Ridley: Genome) and it is quite fascinating on that level. How simple data from the genes combined and combined and combined to finnaly arrive at a stage where its hosts (us) have the ability to spread them into space. Wow
Old May 28, 2003, 17:47   #41
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Uberkrux, the article you posted does not claim it is possible to make a truly intelligent machine
the "article", which was actally a paper i wrote, states that we cannot claim to create an intelligent machine, nor claim we cannot, until we understand our own consiousness.
Old June 1, 2003, 23:24   #42
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:24
all evolutionary paths lead to a dead end eventually

good thread idea though
Old June 1, 2003, 23:34   #43
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
How can we claim to be able to go out and create artificial intelligence when we still cannot explain the basic foundations of our own cognitive frameworks? Simply put, we cannot.
This is from your article Uber. Sorry, but I'm right.
Old June 5, 2003, 19:11   #44
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 02:24
well to bump this back to life

ok to start from beginning

Quote:
Lord Merciless
Biotech community is working hard on directed evolution. The methods are still very primitive and not much better than the nature can offer. But if Department of Energy's (DOE) Genome to Life project succeeds....
just a small step as they say on the way...

Quote:
Lincon:
The end is that only the fittest will survive. Everything will be destroyed except the creator of evolution.
well the fittest is God... which is the same in your case, just it might have been the product of evolution as we believe in it at the moment

Quote:
Soul Survivor
well with infinite time or infinite space (matter that is) god must already exist
actually never thought of it in this way - but well... yes

Quote:
Loinburger
It'll probably end with good old fashioned entropy. When the suns have all burned out there won't be any more life, so evolution will have come to an end.
not neccessarily as there is only so much that we know about the universe now, that it is entirely possible that we might learn how to deal with it, aren't we ourselves - matter that defies entropy in every possible way imaginable - we might just as well find the cure to that "possible end" problem.

Quote:
reds4ever
Evolution doesn't strive to create anything, organisms merely adapt or die, it's not a 'process' that needs to 'complete'
it doesn't need to complete but evolutioin in infinity produces God... if you follow on the line that "life" was getting more complex until the production of self-awarenes of the matter about itself (people) and it has greatly speeded up since, actually human knowledge is said to go up on an exponential curve ( which is knowlege of the universe about itself effectivley) while space/time still go linearly up in size while not developing at all as far as we know regarding the principles that rule it... which in effect sooner or later we will get to the ability to rule the universe or know all there is about it or even beyond it - effectivley a position of God... well that is the product of evolution as it is...

Quote:
reds4ever
Why evolve? when an organism reaches a certain level of technology (ie. us) the enviroment can be made to adapt to suite the organism
well is this all that people strive for, if it stops most of people isn't there a probability that a certain % of people will continue on the quest for knowledge pure and simple, a quest further even though they have everything to survive at the point - given our human nature I would consder that a certainty - Maslow's self actualization infact...

On all biological/technological evolution debate - well think of evolution in my terms as develpoment... biological took a long time in human life terms, techonogical is but a glimpse of the time involved and it will be getting faster and faster - which is knowledge accumulation within our race/other races if they exist...

assuming that some of them/us implode... the others will survive and contionue on the quest that is unstoppable progress in getting to know more about the environment around that interests us...

just think of the milestones

- eternal life at first - be it merging with the machines, or perfecting our technologies to replace and construct our biological cells/organs which will at first just have an "expiry date" and later on those replacements will be "perfectly functioning" ie-- no ageing - OK, that might be a long time from now let's say 10000 years from now, but it should be technically feasible, if we start to engineer on atomic level I am sure the "perfectly manufactured organs will be high on the list of desireability" unless we develop into some mechanical form before - we have started already on that quest - prostetic limbs, artifical teeth, replacement of the organs, heart transplants - etc... this is just the beginning but I guess you should be able to see where I am coming from...

second - body is just an overhead -if we can dispose of it entirely - who knows? just an idea... but this is not it...

third
and than the intelligence - which is in effect the matter in the universe itself (us or some other sentient evolved being) will find eventually all of its finite(or at least linearly expandable) numbers of mechanisms, laws, and their combinations, comprehend it.. and here you have God - OK maybe it will take next 10 billion years, but if evolution as a process is to be believed I think this is inevitable.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old June 5, 2003, 19:26   #45
Japher
Emperor

What is the end of evolution?

I don't know. Yet, I think one problem is assuming that a god like being is the end all to evolution. It is a intrinsic statement that the more you learn the more you know. Yet, I think that the more you know the more you realize you don't know. Meaning that the smarter you get the more questions you have indicating that by infact becoming smarter you actually are becoming more realtively ignorant.

Also, I think I have a problem with the basic definition of evolution. For human evolution is wacked (there's a great scientifc word). For if evolution is the ability to increase your ability to survive, than why are we also increasing our ability to destroy? Humans in on themselves will be the end to their own evolution, we are a self-destructive breed...

Thus, with these to theories in hand, the end of evolution is and will be just like our beginnig... Stupid, innocent child, in the care of a garden, filled with good and evil... and we won't care to tell the difference.
Old June 5, 2003, 19:37   #46
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Southpark.

Southpark is the end of evolution.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 5, 2003, 22:31   #47
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
aren't we ourselves - matter that defies entropy in every possible way imaginable
Nope, the earth is not a closed system, so we don't defy entropy -- the sun expends far more energy than we consume. The universe is a closed system (pretty much by definition), so entropy applies in full force. Eventually even elementary particles will disintegrate, and you're left with Nada.
Old June 6, 2003, 00:13   #48
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:
what is the end of evolution?
Communism
Old June 6, 2003, 00:51   #49
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
As more advanced machines begin to evolve, we must look at them objectively when considering their intelligence, their sentience, despite the various shortcomings that may arise.
Impossible to evaluate the subject 'objectively.'

Why don't you adopt the conclusion that you skirt around that it will be impossible for machines to have human intelligence?

Machine and human intelligence seem to be two very different things, according to your paper.
Old June 6, 2003, 01:17   #50
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
It'll probably end with good old fashioned entropy. When the suns have all burned out there won't be any more life, so evolution will have come to an end.
This is depressing as hell, to know that the universe we live in, that seems so magnifcient and powerful, will too come to an end .

Coming to terms with my own inevitable death was a pain in the ass, let alone humanity's, life's, and the friggen Universe's
Old June 6, 2003, 01:32   #51
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
This is depressing as hell, to know that the universe we live in, that seems so magnifcient and powerful, will too come to an end .

Coming to terms with my own inevitable death was a pain in the ass, let alone humanity's, life's, and the friggen Universe's.
K-man

Blame Sagan, he's the one who first came up with this summary.

Of course, then we would still have Percy Shelley:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old June 6, 2003, 09:49   #52
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
Coming to terms with my own inevitable death was a pain in the ass, let alone humanity's, life's, and the friggen Universe's
Well, we are talking about an event that isn't predicted to occur for another 1050 years or so...
Old June 6, 2003, 13:35   #53
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Blame Sagan, he's the one who first came up with this summary.

Of course, then we would still have Percy Shelley:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Or, T.S. Eliot

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

and in not so much the same maner, yet I like it none the less

E.A. Poe

Out–out are the lights–out all!
And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
And its hero the Conqueror Worm.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:34   #54
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger

Well, we are talking about an event that isn't predicted to occur for another 1050 years or so...
doesnt matter. its an end. the end is coming. its inevitable. what next after that?
Old June 6, 2003, 20:48   #55
Soul Survivor
Settler

this is all theory guys

based on the current observations in our tiny little corner of the universe this is our best guess of what might happen in the future.... in a hundred years they will probably laugh at us for believing ideas like these, the same way we think of the guys at the end of the 19th century who claimed science would soon explain everything

take it all with a grain of salt, its a dreary idea but an unlikely reality