Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
TA is weak...
1. Hit yourself in head with a club.
2. Repeat.

That just about sums up StarCraft's gameplay.
Old May 26, 2003, 22:52   #32
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 19:25
RTS games are weak. its like trying to win a king of the retards contest.
Old May 26, 2003, 22:54   #33
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 20:25
And on the apponted day, the Lords of gaming shall come to the land, and happyness and light shall spread from all computers and the people will rejoice..And there will be much featings, and sacrifice of goats, but on said day, the great Heretic, the Enemy, Vesayen, shall suffer eternal damnation! And he will live for ever trapped by the most insiduous compuetr programs ever created, and the people shall rejoice at his downfall!

Amen.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 26, 2003, 23:36   #34
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Play Vietcong to get your blood racing.. First Person shooter.. you get to blast away commies.. I love it. The best line from that game "No more VC" and "All VC KIA."
Sounds like an an escape from reality and a rewriting of history. 2 for the price of 1!
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 26, 2003, 23:39   #35
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 23:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

Sounds like an an escape from reality and a rewriting of history. 2 for the price of 1!
I don't think so. All it takes is two shots before you die in the game. And everything is historically accurate.. they consulted with many people.. from both military experts to historians.

So it is no rewriting of history. Escape from reality? Well it is a computer game but it tries its best. It shows it only takes one or two shots to die.. not sixty like some first person shooters.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 26, 2003, 23:42   #36
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

the viets won
Old May 26, 2003, 23:45   #37
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
the viets won
Right. But at a heavy cost. And the US didn't have to pull out.

It is not like the game was saying the US won. It is just recreating the experience on computer.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 26, 2003, 23:49   #38
Cruddy
Warlord

Fez, I wasn't talking about the gameplay. Sorry to be cryptic.

What I meant was, the lines "No more VC" and "All VC KIA" sound quite ludicrous wishful thinking in view of history.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 26, 2003, 23:50   #39
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
What I meant was, the lines "No more VC" and "All VC KIA" sound quite ludicrous wishful thinking in view of history.
You must take into context it was characters who say this after they get done with a gunbattle... two minutes later the team is in another gun battle.
Old May 27, 2003, 00:18   #40
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I, too, have fallen out of the habit of gaming and some of the reasons are from me, the others are the games themselves.

I don't have the time or the inclination to spend 30-100 hours playing a game, much less the additional time needed to browse the boards, read the strategy guides, etc. Games are just a long haul, and after a while I just get tired of slogging through them.

Nowadays, whenever I feel like firing up a game, I go MAME and throw in a few virtual quarters at the greatest coin-operated video game ever: Robotron: 2084.
Old May 27, 2003, 00:24   #41
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 18:25
I wonder if they let you do Zippo raids, conduct 'interogation' of townspeople, and let you 'pacify' towns.
Old May 27, 2003, 08:03   #42
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Fez:

I searched on google for vietnam first person shooter games and i think the game i was talking about was Nam which was a vietnam version of Duke Nukem... every review i saw of it gave it only one star... it was alright when i played it though.
Old May 27, 2003, 08:28   #43
lightblue
Warlord

Try Planetside for a laugh. Battles with hundreds of other people on all three sides are extremely tense and satisfying. Very high system requirements though.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old May 27, 2003, 16:12   #44
Giancarlo
King

Well Speer go to the link I provided and check out the screenshots. Sorry your machine can't support it... it is an awesome game despite a few glitches... they are intending to release a patch file soon.
Old May 27, 2003, 17:44   #45
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Fez:

yeah i saw the screenshots and they are amazing... I have Delta Force 2 and I thought that looked very realistic but these games now blow delta force out the water...

And here I am with a 2 mb video card, 266 MHZ, and 64 megs Ram... if i ever get a spare 1000 dollars (which i won't until well after i'm out of college probably), i'm going to get me a new computer just to play these photorealistic war games like Vietcong and medal of honour...
Old May 27, 2003, 17:50   #46
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

the sad thing is, by the time i get such a computer, Vietcong's graphics will be outdated...
Old May 27, 2003, 18:02   #47
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 04:25
Except for the few rare moments of civ2 (and then mostly testing, not playing), I haven't played any computer games in months... In fact, the only two games remaining on my HD are Civ2 and Commandos (not even Patience or Minesweeper).
Old May 27, 2003, 18:19   #48
Sandman
King

Get a console.
Old May 27, 2003, 18:26   #49
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Consoles suck: you can't play Solitaire on them.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old May 27, 2003, 18:28   #50
Giancarlo
King

Consoles don't even stack up to a computer.. sorry...
Old May 27, 2003, 19:13   #51
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:25
consoles are only good if you are too stoned to play computer games...
Old May 27, 2003, 19:46   #52
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Age of Empires is obviously superior to Starcraft...
Old May 27, 2003, 19:46   #53
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:25
@AS:
NAM ????
Now THAT was a Game. Based on DN3D Engine you started in a Straw building, then the Town got under Fire and Vietcong started pouring out of the Woods..
Quite difficult though
You had to run to avoid gettin' shot while at the Same time Running makes sure you end up steping on a Mine...

Ahh those were the Days.. wish I could remember where I left the CD though
Old May 27, 2003, 20:20   #54
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 05:25
Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

1. Hit yourself in head with a club.
2. Repeat.

That just about sums up StarCraft's gameplay.
http://top100.ign.com/1-10.html

Sava: Cool, I play sc too, are you anybody famous?
Edit:
Oh, allmost for got, people with wooden eyes may miss it:
Quote:
Why it Made the Top 100 List: StarCraft is hands down one of the best, if not the best real-time strategy game ever created. With three distinct races, both in terms of gameplay and style, Blizzard's masterpiece contains some of the most balanced and yet widely varied units to be seen in the genre. Add in amazing production value that still looks good and a brilliant story progression and you've got yourself one incredibly addictive and fulfilling strategy title.
Highest rated pc game, overall @7. But what do they know?
Old May 27, 2003, 20:46   #55
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Main_Brain:

yeah i liked it too... except every review i saw of it said it was a disgrace...