Old May 27, 2003, 12:32   #31
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Gawd. Vienna Sausage should be outlawed. NAS-ty!
Old May 27, 2003, 12:34   #32
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:27
You're thinking of the little cocktail weenies.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 27, 2003, 12:35   #33
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 19:27
im going to live 4 blocks from pike place market. im gonna try and get a job tossing fish or working at a coffee place.

the one place that i went when i was first deciding to move up there was the best steakhouse ive ever been to. Fleming's. that place was so ****ing good. too bad it cost like 75 dollars a plate otherwise id go there once a week.

its really a shame im not a fan of seafood other than calamari, but i think ill grow into it. but seattle promises to be a great food place like the bay area. ive already found a great 24 hour by the PI building(newspaper) called 13 coins. thats just a short busride or a long drunken walk away from my apartment.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:35   #34
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Yeah, I am.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:42   #35
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

MRT144, if yer gonna be that close to PP (you living in Queen Ann's town?), you'll be close to the Hurricane. On on of the streets leading down to PP is a Japanese resteraunt with awesome sushi, called simply enough, Japanese Cuisine.

There is a fantasic Jazz bar in the area, went there three nights when I was there for a weeklong seminar. Paul Allen's theater is over near there also.

I love Seattle. Probably the only place that could make me forget Chicago. I'm not leaving Florida though. I'm not done with it yet.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 27, 2003, 12:43   #36
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
When I lived in Memphis, I came to know the true meaning of Bar-B-Q. Yum!!
Memphis BBQ is indeed the best there is. Too bad I can't eat it anymore!

And Chicago pizza is great--if you like a mouthful of dough instead of actual flavor.

I grew up in Maryland, which is best known for crab, especially Maryland crab cakes. MMMMMMMMMMMM.

Now that I'm in NY, of course, there's pretty much anything and everything. The pizza is superb, no matter what the misguided Chicagoans may say! Great Chinese food is abundant in Chinatown, and I know many who say NY hotdogs are the best ever, though I wouldn't know.

I think we win in terms of deli food. You can find the best delicatessens in NYC, and they serve fantastic food in massive quantities. Just order a sandwich at the Carnegie Deli and you'll see what I mean.

The only thing we don't do well, IMO, is Mexican food. I've yet to find a truly satisfying Mexican restaurant in this town, although Blue Moon Cafe and Benny's Burritos are both pretty good.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:52   #37
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 03:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Scrumpy.

It's like cider, except it's opaque, often only semi-liquid, and toxic.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:52   #38
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
MRT144, if yer gonna be that close to PP (you living in Queen Ann's town?), you'll be close to the Hurricane. On on of the streets leading down to PP is a Japanese resteraunt with awesome sushi, called simply enough, Japanese Cuisine.

There is a fantasic Jazz bar in the area, went there three nights when I was there for a weeklong seminar. Paul Allen's theater is over near there also.

I love Seattle. Probably the only place that could make me forget Chicago. I'm not leaving Florida though. I'm not done with it yet.
im actually living in belltown. ill have to find that jazz bar asap, maybe get a hosting job there. im really in desperate need of a job when i get up there but im sure something will come along.

since i will be a college student and i will be paying for my own food i figure i might as well work food service and get at least one free meal a day or something while i work.
Old May 27, 2003, 13:35   #39
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 20:27
A town near where I live is known for its kuchen, which is a German pastry that's quite tasty.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 27, 2003, 14:23   #40
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
Fat, starch and BLOOD!
Old May 27, 2003, 14:55   #41
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Saras
Fat, starch and BLOOD!
You live in England?
Old May 27, 2003, 15:00   #42
Saras
Emperor

LIETUVA!

Old May 27, 2003, 15:00   #43
Saras
Emperor

Imagine all of these in one SAUSAGE

Mind you, the fat is SATURATED! Yummy!
Old May 27, 2003, 15:01   #44
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

In Jersey, we are known for our cranberries (we even have a town known as Cranbury ) and blueberries... and of course the great pies that come from those fruit (IIRC, after California, we are the largest producer of bluberries and cranberries). And of course the pizza. Delicious! NJ pizza is just about the same as NY, except for Boardwalk Pizza which is a bit more greaser, which makes it heaven on Earth. *drool* Also the Zeppolis are amazing, as well as any kind of Italian food. NJ has a lot of Italians (no the Sopranos isn't that far off ) so our quality of Italian food is off the charts.

Atlanta has a lot of great variety of food. We have wonderful Thai and Vietnamese because of all the East Asian immigrants that have come to that city. Also we have wonderful Mexican food because of the large Hispanic population in Atlanta. But, #1 is of course, the BBQ and Southern cooking! I never knew what real BBQ was until I came down there. Sloooooooww cooked for hours, and juicy and delicious. Best ribs you'll ever have.

Damn.. I'm hungry.... and for BBQ ribs too . Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until the end of the summer to get some of that.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 27, 2003, 15:07   #45
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Nothing, so far as I know.

Actually, I have a dim memory of CT claiming that Pizza was invented in New Haven, but NYC has better Pizza anyway. I just sampled a bunch of it this past weekend.

We have pretty much everything, but I don't think we're "known" for any of it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 27, 2003, 15:08   #46
Sir Og
Prince

Tarator is really great and is pretty much unique for Bulgaria AFAIK. It is a cold cucumber soup with yogurt. There is no substitute for it in the summer.
AFAIK the biggest Bulgarian community in the US is in Chicago so some of the Bulgarian restaurants there probably serve it.
Tarator is really easy tomake but I don't know what would it taste like if it is not made with original Bulgarian yogurt.
Old May 27, 2003, 15:09   #47
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:27
Carelian pies, which are small pies filled with rice pudding. They taste real good with some eggbutter.

Carelian stew. It is... stew. Made out of meat. I don't actually know much about this, considering I'm not a big fan of this delicacy.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 27, 2003, 15:10   #48
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Fried Green Tomatoes
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 27, 2003, 15:40   #49
Oerdin
Deity

California=wine, cheese, and fusion cuisine ( a mix of Latin, Asian, European, and American style cooking all using fresh local ingredients).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 27, 2003, 15:48   #50
Solly
Emperor

Cawl (not Caol..)

Put ten people in a room, pose the question, and following heated words you'll have ten different recipes for this most basic of fayre! The reason is simple, the definitive recipe is invariably the one that you saw your mother make as a child - from whatever happened to be around at the time. Anything else just doesn't taste quite right.

Once you've got those elusive ingredients, you have the ultimate comfort food, ideal for those cold dark winter evenings, or when you're suffering from a sniffle that no amount of Lemsip will touch.

Cawl was the dish most commonly served for dinner on the farm during the winter months in the counties of South and West Wales. The broth would be served in basins or bowls, with bread, and the meat and vegetables served as a second course.

Ingredients

2lb Best end of neck Welsh Lamb
1/2 lb Carrots
2 large Leeks
1/2 oz Flour
1 small Swede or Turnip
1 lb Potatoes
1 oz parsley
Salt and Pepper

Method

Put the meat into the saucepan, cover with cold water, add salt and pepper, bring slowly to the boil and skin carefully. (This can be done the night before and the fat allowed to set on the surface. This makes it easier to skim off)

Then add the carrots (cut in half), the swede (sliced) and the white of the leeks, and simmer gently for two to two-and-a-half hours.

Add the potatoes (cut in flour) and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.

When the potatoes are almost cooked, thicken with flour and a little water.

Lastly add the green of the leeks and parsley (chopped) and simmer for another 10 minutes and serve in basins while hot
Old May 27, 2003, 15:48   #51
Solly
Emperor

Old May 27, 2003, 15:49   #52
jdd2007
NationStates
King

skyline chili, as has been mentioned. thats about it...
Old May 27, 2003, 15:59   #53
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
New Haven is known for the best pizza.
Old May 27, 2003, 16:24   #54
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Toronto dishes up a mean bowl of pho, a spicy Vietnamese soup.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 27, 2003, 19:26   #55
GePap
Emperor

Well, Being in NYC (I know Boris thinks he covered this, but...)

The best, and original, Pizza. Chicago has a nice Pizza style pie thing they do, but that is NOT Pizza, you know, just like a Pizza Bagel is not Pizza.

As for the City, yes, Deli products like Pastrami, Crned Beef, and so forth are top notch (But carnegie Deli is a tourist trap. Katz is much better, and the size of the food is not obscene)

NYC was once known for Oysters, and there are still a few good oyster rstaurants.

Then there are kosher prodcuts of all types, and bagels too.

And finally, grilled, simple hotdogs, as opposeds to boiled, heaily topped Chicago ones.

As for Panama:

first ,sea food, all types, nice and Fresh. Usually cooked like on the Islands on the caribbean side. As for land dishes, lots of corn porducts, though nothing like mexican.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 27, 2003, 20:07   #56
cinch
Warlord

My region is basically known for the food of the Ukrainian immigrants:

-Pyrogy. Oh, yes... Cheese and potato filled kinds are best; saur kraut can be pretty gross. But cheese and potato pyrogies, with sour cream and bacon bits... heaven.

-Kubasa. Ukrainian sausage. If you get a good batch made by the right people, it's like candy.

That's all that really matters, I think.
Old May 27, 2003, 20:18   #57
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
As for Panama:

first ,sea food, all types, nice and Fresh. Usually cooked like on the Islands on the caribbean side. As for land dishes, lots of corn porducts, though nothing like mexican.
The seafood was excellent though I found much of the food to be bland. I remember ordering a steak when I was in Panama and getting some dinky little fatty thing. It is so hard to find a big juicy steak in many parts of the world.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; May 27, 2003 at 20:43.
Old May 27, 2003, 21:25   #58
boann
Civilization II Multiplayer
Princess

colorado is best known for wild game cooking

ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS and COORS BEER
----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BUCKHORN EXCHANGE in Denver holds the first liquor license issued in colorado. EST IN 1893

some things on the menu

RATTLESNAKE
Marinated in red chile and lime and served with a chipolte pepper cream cheese

ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS
With horseradish dippin' sauce

SMOKED BUFFALO SAUSAGE
With red chile polenta and spicy wild game mustard

GRILLED DUCK BREAST
Rubbed with lavender and pepper and served with a raspberry, red zinfandel sauce

SIRLOIN GAME TIPS
Choice cuts from our Beef, Buffalo, and Elk served with mushrooms in a different sauce daily

CHILLED SMOKED SALMON
Served with a caper and onion seasoned cream cheese and sourdough toast points

"Steak Dinners Our Specialty"

The steaks are cut from our dry aged New York strip loins, with the tail removed and all but a very thin layer of the fat cover. Cooked large like this, a lovely crust is formed, Your steak is carved tableside and served with a sizzling crock of sautéed mushrooms and onions.

HIGH PLAINS BUFFALO
prime rib or steak

ELK
Broiled medallions with a velvety texture and flavor hinting of grass and cedar.
or
Grilled with four peppercorn crust

QUAIL
Lightly marinated broiled semi-boneless quail served with a prickly pear and apricot glaze

SALMON
Fresh Salmon charbroiled and served with a side Red Chile Hollandaise

COLORADO LAMB
Succulent chops marinated in olive oil with rosemary and thyme and broiled to your liking, Served with a side of Red Currant Madeira sauce.
Old May 27, 2003, 21:30   #59
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by boann
colorado is best known for wild game cooking.
I thought Colorado was known for Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Old May 27, 2003, 21:40   #60
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I thought Colorado was known for Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Where do you think you get them from?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)