Old May 27, 2003, 16:39   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 22:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
what do you think of baldurs gate?
Ive never played an RPG, but thinking of branching out from strategy games, and i see BG frequently in bargain bins.

Is it good - how does it relate to other RPG's and subgenres within RPG. Is it particularly violent/gory? Good story and gameplay?

Would this be a good RPG to start on?
Old May 27, 2003, 18:38   #2
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, Bg is the best RPG I've played it has an excellent story line good graphics (for it's time) and it is involving. It's not gory and it is by no means a simple hack and slash rpg game. If you've ever played AD&D games you will feel at home after a little while.

BG has become a classic and BG II is even better.

So long...
Old May 27, 2003, 22:17   #3
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I've reinstalled it this weekend to give it a second try and sunk in a few hours.

Some thoughts:
-you have to reload saves all the time because your characters keep dying and dying and dying. Though my party has a full six now, I have already lost three of the "we wanna go to Nashkel" gang, Minsc, and the Moonblade wielder.
-there is no clear listing of objectives unless you count the War and Peace that is your Journal. I've cleared the Nashkel mines and the, uhm, Gnoll (?) Fortress, but don't know where to go from there. Currently I am just wandering around the maps and following a lead on some pirate treasure in a cove.
-why aren't the thieves in a permanent find-traps mode? The way things stand, you have to walk into the trap, reload, and then send out the thief to map it out.
-the levelling is very slow and there don't seem to be any other rewarding things in the game.

I am playing as a Neutral Chaotic Dwarven Female Fighter Ingrid. Meh.
Old May 27, 2003, 22:23   #4
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I've reinstalled it this weekend to give it a second try and sunk in a few hours.

Some thoughts:
-you have to reload saves all the time because your characters keep dying and dying and dying. Though my party has a full six now, I have already lost three of the "we wanna go to Nashkel" gang, Minsc, and the Moonblade wielder.
-there is no clear listing of objectives unless you count the War and Peace that is your Journal. I've cleared the Nashkel mines and the, uhm, Gnoll (?) Fortress, but don't know where to go from there. Currently I am just wandering around the maps and following a lead on some pirate treasure in a cove.
-why aren't the thieves in a permanent find-traps mode? The way things stand, you have to walk into the trap, reload, and then send out the thief to map it out.
-the levelling is very slow and there don't seem to be any other rewarding things in the game.

I am playing as a Neutral Chaotic Dwarven Female Fighter Ingrid. Meh.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:52   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:28
great game.

Baldur's Gate 2 is much better even. In fact I played that one first, so I have much more affection to that one.

Dying isn't a problem once you get used to how to play it and how the spells work. The first time will be tough though- esp. if you aren't familiar with D&D.

the Journal is thourough, but I think in the first one it doesn't seperate finished quests from unfinished quests- which is annoying. Even newer games like Morrowind don't do this . I hate that. Baldur's Gate 2 does fix this. So your quests are much, much easier to wade through.

Levelling can be slow- but that is the true D&D way. As for rewarding things- well if you don't enjoy the story and completing quests and killing monsters- then you probably won't find the game rewarding.
Old May 28, 2003, 03:54   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I forgot to mention about RPG's. It's tough to say whether you will like them. They aren't for everyone. But if you like a game with a good story, and aren't afraid of games that have swords, axes, and magical spells in them- then this game is worth a try.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:10   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
Baldur's Gate 2 will be a budget title in the UK soon. Only £5.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:27   #8
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

If I post you a fiver, can you get it for me FP? Its still 20 Euros here, and in German too

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:15   #9
Grumbold
Emperor

Baldurs Gate II is one of the best AD&D roleplaying PC games. If you are at all familiar with (Advanced) Dungeons and Dragons then it will be fun to play. For those who come to RPGs fresh I would not recommend it so much. The rule system is quirky and not intuitive. I would suggest you try a game that was designed purely for the computer instead.

Fallout 1&2 are brilliant post-apocalypse RPGs. Morrowind is a good fantasy RPG.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:30   #10
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Baldurs Gate is pretty good, if you can stand some bugs here and there- get it
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old May 28, 2003, 07:33   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
If I post you a fiver, can you get it for me FP? Its still 20 Euros here, and in German too

-Jam
Sure dude, but it's not been released on budget yet. It should be out in the next few weeks (maybe in Europe too? I have no idea). I'm planning to get a copy myself, so when I see it in the shops I'll drop you a PM and we can maybe work something out.
Old May 28, 2003, 07:44   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

You're the MAN

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:59   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Baldurs Gate II is one of the best AD&D roleplaying PC games. If you are at all familiar with (Advanced) Dungeons and Dragons then it will be fun to play. For those who come to RPGs fresh I would not recommend it so much. The rule system is quirky and not intuitive. I would suggest you try a game that was designed purely for the computer instead.

Fallout 1&2 are brilliant post-apocalypse RPGs. Morrowind is a good fantasy RPG.
Im not real familiar with D and D. When i was in high school I had a friend who was into the pencil and paper game, and talked about it a lot, but i never played (well we started once at a party, but never got very far IIRC)

Ive read a lot of Tolkien, so im familiar with elves and dwarves and such like.

Are you suggesting Fallout and morrowind as easier for a first time RPG player?? I need something that will run on my dinosaur 'puter, only 48meg RAM. If you think these are worthwhile games, i might go check out the specs.
Old May 28, 2003, 13:12   #14
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:28
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Are you suggesting Fallout and morrowind as easier for a first time RPG player?? I need something that will run on my dinosaur 'puter, only 48meg RAM. If you think these are worthwhile games, i might go check out the specs.
I wouldn't even both checking out Morrowind with your machine.
Old May 28, 2003, 14:24   #15
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

thats pretty much why im checking out RPG's. When i get a new machine there are a bunch of strategy titles i want to check out - meanwhile im pretty much out of strat titles im really interested in that run on my machine and are available in retail (despite avid bargain bin diving) I could always get some more obscure stuff online, but this seems like a good time to "broaden my horizons" thats why i thought of Baldurs Gate, which does fit my machine specs.
Old May 28, 2003, 14:36   #16
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
so how about icewind dale (which should run) vs Baldurs gate?
Old May 28, 2003, 15:56   #17
VJ
King

Baldurs Gate : Solid RPG, has a good reputation, but I didn't care about the either of them much, didn't cared much from the story-line.
Old May 28, 2003, 15:58   #18
VJ
King

Clarification : I've got BG I & II, but don't have any expansion packs.
Old May 28, 2003, 18:27   #19
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

If you are prepared to put the effort in Baldur's Gate is a great game(look for the Baldur's Gate+Tales of the sword coast double pack - it is an expansion that also fixs a few bugs and adds more to the game.). I picked it up for £9.99 last year.
If you like RPG's you most likely will like this game. Definately worth having in your collection and will provide weeks(if not months) of good gaming.
As to which to get first, i'd go with this one then get Baldur's gate 2(again look for the double/expansion pack) if you liked it.
IcewindDale was made after the two Baldur's Gate games and is geared at the more experienced player.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; May 28, 2003 at 18:40.
Old May 28, 2003, 18:46   #20
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 18:28
i have both BG and Ice Wind Dale, and i think IWD is a better game. The two main differences of these games are: one is non-liner (BG), but the other is linear(IWD). I personally prefer (IWD) because BG is a type of game that forces you to visit all places (mean while u also get to do minor quests) to figure out the main plot, while in IWD u just have to go on; u don't need to keep track of things. Btw, when i got to ch4 in BG, and i ran out of patience and deleted the game from my hard. The other difference is BG has more talking, finding things out, etc., while IWD has more (strategical) combat (HoMM fans probly will like this game).
Old May 28, 2003, 18:47   #21
thinkingamer
Warlord

sorry, a double post. stupid 56k modem

Last edited by thinkingamer; May 28, 2003 at 21:56.
Old May 28, 2003, 18:57   #22
VJ
King

Double post, I see. Could you edit the later one, so it wouldn't take so much space when browsing? (Yes, I'm pretty bored).
Old May 28, 2003, 18:57   #23
Mahdimael
Prince

Have both BG I & II- didn't care for them too much. Manipulating the party was too annoying for my taste. Neverwinter nights is more fun, imho
Old May 28, 2003, 19:02   #24
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I have BG1 and BG2, with both of their expansion packs, and IWD and IWD2. They are all great games. The only problem is that they all require large time commitments. That's why I haven't had the chance to finish them all yet As thinkingamer said, BG is more story oriented than IWD, however, I think that IWD still has a good story aspect. If you are looking for an RPG with a good storyline, I'd suggest Planescape:Torment, I just started it, but it definitely has a better story than the others that have been mentioned. Torment is made from the same people that made BG, and uses the same engine.
Old May 28, 2003, 19:03   #25
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Oh, BTW Torment is also in the bargain bin
Old May 28, 2003, 19:43   #26
vee4473
King

I assume lord of the mark is referring to BG1, but I will post this anyway.

I can't speak for BG1, but BG2 is an enormous game, especially if you decide to take on every little side quest.

I just post this to make sure lord of the mark understands that he will be undertaking a quite huge gaming task if he gets BG2.

And if your looking for a shorter, more "to the point" RPG, BG2 aint it.

Having said that, I think BG2 is an absolutely great game with tons of wonderful atmosphere.
Old May 28, 2003, 23:35   #27
thinkingamer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473

I can't speak for BG1, but BG2 is an enormous game, especially if you decide to take on every little side quest.

I just post this to make sure lord of the mark understands that he will be undertaking a quite huge gaming task if he gets BG2.

Having said that, I think BG2 is an absolutely great game with tons of wonderful atmosphere.
I have seen BG2, and from what i've seen, it is good as IWD (gota love all those classes). Also from what i've heard and read, IWD2 is somewhat worse than the original IWD.
Old May 29, 2003, 16:16   #28
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vee4473

yes i meant BG1.

Not sure if i would prefer linear or non-linear story, as havent experienced any RPG's yet.

Re time commitment - thats a real issue for me - is it not possible to save and come back days later, or does that break things up too much?
Old May 29, 2003, 20:54   #29
vee4473
King

Absolutely you can save and come back whenever you want.

But if too much time goes by, the story might drift away from your mind and impact enjoyment.
Old May 30, 2003, 07:58   #30
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd say IWD2 is just "more" than IWD. I got a bit fed up with it because i didn't want more linear questing and tougher fights. If hack'n'slash is your thing then IWD2 surpasses IWD. The only thing you have to get used to is the 3rd edition D&D rules, but they're designed to be a little simpler and more logical for a non D&D gamer to work out.

The fallouts should run on an older machine. Morrowind is too recent for that.