Old May 30, 2003, 16:50   #31
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
the BG series are great games, and you should get the expansions as well, especially Throne of Bhaal for BGII as more good storyline is unfolded there, and the battles get really really really really tough, and the innovations and new additions are truly mighty, and simply great fun!

Anyway lotm, you're going for BG1... you should get Tales of the sword coast as well in any case, as it fixes some bugs, and adds some elements that make the game less frustrating (like wizards have 2 weapon slots.. so you can give xan his moonblade and a sling, without having to switch to the inventory in order to change weapons, which is a nasty thing as in BG1 the game isn't paused when you're browsing your inventory)... stuff like that. The actual expansion is not so big, but worthwhile anyway, especially durlag's tower is a great challenge.

BG1 is not too easy, but the game is really easy in the beginning... with a lot of tips and so on... If you want, you can do shitty quests that yield 5 gold pieces or so to get the hang of the game
I found the start a bit too easy though..
The real action starts later! Btw I noticed someone complaining he didn't know what to do... After you clear out the Nashkell mines, you better go adventuring in the direct neighbourhood of Nashkell, there are some good locations to pillage.

Basically what you need to do is stop the bandit activity, you can do this in several ways, but first you need to find out where the bandit camp is... (you might have noticed you get attacked by bandits sometimes when travelling between locations).. I can tell you how to find out if you want, but that would be too easy

Always be sure to read scrolls and letters etc.. Talk to everyone that's not a commoner... maybe you don't like that, but hey that's BG1, otherwise you better play Icewind Dale!

PS: be sure to do the Prism quest (Nashkell), you will gain something that will be very very powerful and very good that will remain so till the end of the game.. good thing you can get it pretty early in the game, but it's not easy to get it... though opponent, even tough you are a majority
Old May 31, 2003, 01:56   #32
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 22:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PS: be sure to do the Prism quest (Nashkell), you will gain something that will be very very powerful and very good that will remain so till the end of the game.. good thing you can get it pretty early in the game, but it's not easy to get it... though opponent, even tough you are a majority

Prism quest? Is that the Captain of the Guard thing or something else?
Old May 31, 2003, 12:52   #33
lord of the mark
Deity

to confirm

local EB games has BG1, including xpack, for $20 US. Has fallout2 for $10. I'm inclined to BG, id rather a Tolkienesque world than post nuclear.

So thats probably my next game purchase.
Old May 31, 2003, 14:29   #34
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

No, Prism is the local sculptor that has gone missing (in fact he's been working on a piece of art..) with a few precious "stones". You are asked to return these to Nashkell..

If you find him, you can choose to threaten him or not... I suggest you don't, and protect him as well you'll get the best item in the game in my opinion
On top of that the quest is very good moneywise... don't return the stones to Nashkell, sell them in Beregost in the huge tavern there (forgot the name), you'll get 1500 GP each there, instead of the 500 in Nashkell, if i remember correctly of course

The captain of the guard quest is a tough one as well... and again you get the choice to save him and turn him over the the Naskell temple instead of killing him..

That's what I like about the game... you have various choices in these quests, and they don't have the same rewards... depends on how you are aligned too btw...
If yoy play Evil aligned, you better not get a 20 reputation or your evil party members will leave/attack you

In fact that's a negative thing about BG1... Earning reputation is too easy. You can only lose rep by stealing, and getting caught, or killing flaming fist soldiers etc, but you lose an insane amount of rep if that happens...also, the flaming fist keep coming and coming, they never stop coming! On top of that you're never safe anymore, if you keep killing them you'll lose more rep.. A vicious circle. In the end you end up reloading your game.
Old June 2, 2003, 01:44   #35
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 20:28
Well, since you asked...
I think Baldur's Gate was a highly overrated hackfest dragged down by absolutely tedious combat. They should've stuck to making games like Planescape: Torment.
Old June 2, 2003, 02:20   #36
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:28
heretic!!

Planescape is pretty cool, but it just doesn't have the draw BG2 has for me. BG is the perfect mix of story and combat
Old June 2, 2003, 06:19   #37
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 03:28
I like BG2 enough to have completed it 4 times, under increasingly excessive restrictions - in the end I just had to delete it because I was wasting so much time playing!

For anyone playing BG or BG2 I strongly recommend that you visit http://www.baldurdash.org/ where you can get many more bugfixes on top of those which the patches provide.
Old June 8, 2003, 01:37   #38
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

If you find him, you can choose to threaten him or not... I suggest you don't, and protect him as well you'll get the best item in the game in my opinion

Are you talking about the +2 Long Sword?

BTW, is it okay for my armour to be negative? It's currently at -6 on my main character.

I've just entered Baldur's Gate for the first time.
Old June 8, 2003, 04:00   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, the lower the armour class the better.
Old June 9, 2003, 10:19   #40
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

so how about icewind dale (which should run) vs Baldurs gate?
In my opinion, Icewind dale is more challenging and better overall. In baldurs you're stuck with meeting your party along the way, IIRC, but in icewind you create your whole party from the get-go. A lot more hack-and-slash too, which I like better.

I have a lot of respect for this genre of games because they adhere to the ADandD rules so well- the spellbooks look like their lifted right from the Player's Handbook .
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old June 9, 2003, 15:11   #41
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Baldur's Gate is good stuff! I loved the second game! There is some speculation floating around that a BG3 is being worked on. How true that is, though, no one really knows... except Black Isle .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 9, 2003, 18:18   #42
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 18:28
Ive played BG I twice, II and both expansions once. I would play again excpet when restarting you realize how far you went to finish.

I love the non-linear quality of the games.

BTW... get some more RAM if you want to play, because the first time I played I played on a Pentium 233 w/ 322 MB of RAM, and it was pretty buggy. The second time i had an Athlon 650 with 64 megs, and it ran much nicer.

But AFAIK, your extra 16 MB of RAM (past 32) will not do you any good.

The reason I played BG twice is becasue after I beat it, I thought it was weak, but 6 months later I was having lots of flashbacks to the game.... you know what I mean, and it made me want to play again.
Old June 9, 2003, 18:43   #43
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Man, I have to get this game soon. Anyone want to sell/send me a LEGAL copy?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 10, 2003, 00:08   #44
thinkingamer
Warlord

In my experience, anyone who likes Civ2, SMAC, and HoMM series, but hates to play adventure games like Myst (you know, the games that eventualy will get stuck sometime during the middle game), will hate BG. Im one of those people. For those people i strongly suggest to play IWD. In other hand, if you also like adventure games, BG can a great game.
Old June 10, 2003, 01:46   #45
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well I think BG2 is the perfect balance between combat and story.

Icewind Dale games are OK. They have great combat, and a decent story.

The biggest things I miss is the NPC's. Sure it's nice designing your own party, but the interaction between the NPC's does make the game seem more "full"
Old June 10, 2003, 02:27   #46
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 20:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Man, I have to get this game soon. Anyone want to sell/send me a LEGAL copy?

-Jam
it is still available in stores

Jon Miller
Old June 10, 2003, 03:12   #47
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

real cheap. They have several different discount versions. One includes baldur's gate 1 and 2 and both expansions.
Old June 10, 2003, 06:37   #48
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I want the English version (I live in Germany) and I don't have a credit card....

grrrrrrrrrrr

I'll have to hope they still have it on sale at Xmas time

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 10, 2003, 09:35   #49
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkingamer
In my experience, anyone who likes Civ2, SMAC, and HoMM series, but hates to play adventure games like Myst (you know, the games that eventualy will get stuck sometime during the middle game), will hate BG. Im one of those people. For those people i strongly suggest to play IWD. In other hand, if you also like adventure games, BG can a great game.
ive played text adventures, and enjoyed them a bit. A tad "unimmersive" though. I played a little Myst at a friends, and am considering getting that as an alternative to an RPG.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:45   #50
thinkingamer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by thinkingamer
Hmm... perhaps Myst is not a good example. Monkey Island series seems to be a better example, because it has a lots of items to micromanage with, like BG. I am compareing BG with an adventure game, because they both forces you to visit all places (and touch everything) to figure out the main plot. The only difference between BG and Monkey Island (in point of view of the previous sentence) is that BG has more places to visit and MI requires more brains to figure things out.

Overall, BG will please players who just wants to explore, talk, in a big, big world, but it will be hated by players who hates to wander around aimlessly or trying to figure out what to do for a long periods of time.

Quote:
The biggest things I miss is the NPC's. Sure it's nice designing your own party, but the interaction between the NPC's does make the game seem more "full"
i dont know why NPC is so important. For example, when i met the paladian and the druid, i talked to them for a while (like 2 paragraphs) and they joined my party. Afterwards, nothing more interactive happened with them. To me NPC interaction is does not make an RPG more full.

Last edited by thinkingamer; June 10, 2003 at 13:25.
Old June 10, 2003, 15:48   #51
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 21:28
Great game, but not my cup of tea.
Old June 11, 2003, 08:25   #52
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
dont know why NPC is so important. For example, when i met the paladian and the druid, i talked to them for a while (like 2 paragraphs) and they joined my party. Afterwards, nothing more interactive happened with them. To me NPC interaction is does not make an RPG more full.
Exactly, which is why I liked icewind better. If I'm gonna have a couple of mindless drones follow me around, at least let me customize them to my own liking.

jac
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old June 12, 2003, 07:52   #53
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

Are you talking about the +2 Long Sword?

BTW, is it okay for my armour to be negative? It's currently at -6 on my main character.

I've just entered Baldur's Gate for the first time.
yeah it's got a magical cold attack which is mighty useful against certain creatures or opponents except undead (always use clubs etc against undead)

-6 AC is pretty good if you are entering BG..
Old June 13, 2003, 02:40   #54
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

NPC's have a lot more to say in Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm playing 1 right now. The NPC's don't say much. Usually just the same things over and over. And I have a hard time hearing some NPC's while Imoen is loud and annoying and keep calling me queer
Old June 15, 2003, 00:23   #55
thinkingamer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
cup of tea.
yep, this game ain't no tea; its a VERY BIG meal.