Old May 28, 2003, 01:26   #1
Steffo
Settler

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Go berserk
When playing as the vikings; do you use the berserkers to attack from the sea?
Old May 28, 2003, 03:13   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:30
I have... but over around 40 battles have found them to not be as effective as Cavalry from the land. Although the defense modifiers are greater against the Cavalry and they have the same attack values, losing a Cavalry unit is less likely due to the withdraw ability. The key would be to get to Berzerks well before Cavalry, something I haven't managed to do yet.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 28, 2003, 04:00   #3
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Local Time: 21:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
The key would be to get to Berzerks well before Cavalry, something I haven't managed to do yet.
Strange, I was under the impression that Invention came a good five techs or so before MilTrad. You could DEFINITELY get Berserks earlier than you could get Cavalry. When I'm warmongering I often shoot down the lower branch for Cavalry, but in the one game I played as the Vikings, having those early Berserks was a killer. They hit hard (if slow), and the Cavalry mopped up later on.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:26   #4
Steffo
Settler

Local Time: 02:30
True, you get berserkers much earlier than you get cavalry. And by the time you get cavalry your Civ could be in a Golden age which means you produce cavalry units fast!
Old May 28, 2003, 05:18   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nakar Gabab

Strange, I was under the impression that Invention came a good five techs or so before MilTrad
Well, yes. I forgot to mention that I have only played the Vikings as a build-up to the current Civ3 Democracy game, with as many of the same settings as we have - 24 Civs, Huge Map, archipelago.... The sheer number of civs meant that tech progressed to Cavalry by the time I had Invention long enough to have decent numbers of Berzerks in action in my distant warzones. So perhaps you should ignore what I said.

Despite that, my experience at least showed a comparison between Cavalry and Berzerks, with Cavalry coming out WAY ahead.

Old May 28, 2003, 13:15   #6
Nakar Gabab
ACDG The Human Hive
Warlord

Yeah. 24 civs is a little too extreme for me. I stick to 8 to 12.

Cavalry are better than Berserks for the two extra movement points alone. Retreat ability is excellent, but three movement is a superiority in itself. But like I said, under normal circumstances you can get Berserks first. If you can do that (and an archer upgrade helps under 1.14 PTW and later), you can assert dominance by land and sea, then cement it with knights and cavalry later.

In theory.
Old May 28, 2003, 13:28   #7
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 20:30
Berserks can be quite effective with more...standard...settings. They fit in nicely to add some extra punch to knights if you choose to go that route. Everyone gets muskets, your knights are not as effective, break out the berserks. MAKE SURE TO COVER THEM with defenders, though.

I have not used the amphibious assault MUCH, though, mostly because I tend to neglect my navy that early unless my home continent is already fully under my own control. I have used them effectively for taking a beachhead against fortified riflemen, though. Use the berserks to take the town, the rest of your force can then sail into the town and move out from there the same turn.

One game on Emperor stands out in my mind where I was able to instantly upgrade 20 archers to berserks to compliment my 30 knights. It's not often I have 2K gold laying around at that point in time, though. (or 20 archers for that matter)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old May 30, 2003, 17:47   #8
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I enjoy the Vikings simply because of the Berserk. I always play archipeligo and mostly water when I play them. Last week I had a slew of galleys sitting off an island totally controlled by Carthage with the exception of one lonely city I was able to found. I was kinda suspicious that the inhabitants were enjoying the Carthaginian culture so I had my forces laying of the coast just outside the Carthaginian influence. When my suspicions were confirmed and my city switched alligence to Carthage I moved in with all units attacking all the Carthaginian cities simultaneously. It was over in one turn! Glorious Victory!! ...I just love Berserks
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 2, 2003, 23:31   #9
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Beserkers can provide a great surprise attack occasionally from the sea, but I am usually too lazy to pull off such an attack too often.
Old June 3, 2003, 09:37   #10
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 03:30
well..yeah..that's sorta what they do best.
Old June 3, 2003, 10:08   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Beserkers can provide a great surprise attack occasionally from the sea, but I am usually too lazy to pull off such an attack too often.
I must admit that this was my feeling also until I went through the effort just once. It was really cool watching what they can truly do. I didn't play the Vikings much before that, but now they have become one of my favorites. I think that it is a huge advantage not giving the AI an extra turn to prepare for an attack.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 3, 2003, 10:20   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

An EXTRA turn? You didn't give them ONE turn to prepare!