View Poll Results: What is the punishment for late playing of a turn?
Harsh 1 4.55%
Strict 1 4.55%
Moderate 1 4.55%
Fair 3 13.64%
Nice 14 63.64%
Really Friendly 0 0%
Write-In 1 4.55%
Xenobanana 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28, 2003, 03:53   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 02:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Timely turn playing
Simple choice, what happens to teams that play their turns too late. After the 24 hour limit expires, then what happens?

1.) Harsh - The faction is eliminated
2.) Strict - Googlie opens the save and presses End Turn.
3.) Moderate - Googlie opens the save and plays only known orders
4.) Fair - The team gets a warning the first time, then the Strict penalty after 36hours
5.) Nice - The team gets a warning the first time, then Moderate penalty after 36hours, then next time warning then Strict after 36hours.
6.) Really friendly - The team just gets a warning (which is a hollow threat)
7.) Write in
8.) Xenobanana

Vote is open for 3 days, dicussion thread is here

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:48   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Oh, discussion thread was here.

-Jam
Old May 28, 2003, 05:52   #3
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm going for the nice option. A faction shouldn't take such a severe hit to turn advantage unless they make a habit of lateness.

Old May 28, 2003, 18:17   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 23:31
nice
Old May 28, 2003, 18:41   #5
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 19:31
I was tempted to vote harsh just for the hell of it.

But I'm a sucker so I voted nice.
Old May 28, 2003, 19:04   #6
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

You missed the 48 hours ones. I can't for for anything. I want a warning after 36, and then after 48 Googlie presses end turn. This was an option popular on that thread, but not included here

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 28, 2003, 21:26   #7
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 21:31
We're all a bunch of softies
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old May 29, 2003, 02:19   #8
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

I think we should give Googlie (and the offending faction) a little more flexibility than even the "nice" option. Considering that one has no particular control over when you get the turn, what with time zones, sleep, work, everyone's particular schedules etc., you can't really plan ahead effectively, particularly as you don't know how long the faction in front of you is going to hold the turn, so RL conflicts are bound to occur, no matter how many people are empowered to take the turn.

Even at this early stage of the game, if you get the turn in the middle of the night, you lose a third of your time before you even get started and it can take 12 hours with hardly any decisions to make at all; Of course, things will get more complicated later in the game too. Add a couple of extenuating circumstances like computer troubles, problems with Poly's server, missed/delayed email, blah, blah, blah, and the time adds up pretty fast. So I'd be very forgiving, although I agree that a slap on the wrist might not be enough if some factions turn out to be chronic abusers of everyone else's patience.

My write-in is to let Googlie do whatever he thinks appropriate from the wrist slap through intelligent playing of the turn through to the end-turn button, depending on the circumstances and the specific faction's 'record' in this regard. Of course, we can't demand too much of Googs, so I wouldn't expect a lot of going beyond whatever orders were out there (although since it seems that we've effectively banned the queue, a little bit of build adjustments might be nice for someone with an exemplary record on their first deviation, especially if their plans were readily available to him).

If we were on some kind of rigid cycle like Monday: Hive; Tuesday: Cycon; Wednesday: University; Thursday: Pirates; Friday: Drones; then I could see being harsher since everyone would know in advance what their schedule responsibilities were, but this way, it's kind of hard to be particularly tough.
Old May 29, 2003, 06:31   #9
Jamski
Deity

No one's voting for Harsh? That's a surprise looks like we're all pretty nice deep down inside.

-Jam
Old May 29, 2003, 17:25   #10
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
I am for nice too for the reasons Johnd says.

However how about some chastisement: 75 strikes and you're replaced.
Old May 29, 2003, 19:37   #11
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Talking of timely turn playing, ball is in the UoP's court, so to speak.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 30, 2003, 13:53   #12
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 23:31
Nice, of course. I'm so sweet.
Old June 10, 2003, 19:38   #13
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
(although since it seems that we've effectively banned the queue).
The queue isn't banned - in fact, piutting stockpile energy in after a facilities build accomplishes nothing - it's only after a unit being completed that there's any effect (completion plus full ec credits for that turn - it doesn't work that way with SPs or facilities)

G.
Old June 10, 2003, 20:21   #14
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

The queue isn't banned - in fact, piutting stockpile energy in after a facilities build accomplishes nothing - it's only after a unit being completed that there's any effect (completion plus full ec credits for that turn - it doesn't work that way with SPs or facilities)

G.
Using the queue as it was intended (by the designers) to be used is effectively banned since putting anything else in there besides Stockpile Energy is foregoing Pieces of Eight in the Treasure Chest that would otherwise go there. That's what I meant by effectively banned. It has become an Albatross, needing to be fed Stockpile Energy rather than a useful tool for organizing your builds (or for planting false buildplans for infiltrators to see).
Old June 10, 2003, 22:06   #15
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

No - scenario testing has shown that there's no difference to putting stockpile energy in the Q after a facility or an SP than there is to leaving it blank or putting another fac or SP in the Q

The addition of energy credits only happens when stockpile energy is inserted when a unit is being built
Old June 10, 2003, 22:53   #16
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Googlie, if the queue is empty, the stockpile effect occurs automatically after the completion of a facility or SP, unless the queue has an entry after that completed item. In effect, upon completion, the game writes SE into the queue, if empty. If there is something queued behind a facility, the game does not write SE into the queue and the SE effect is foregone. JDM is correct to a great degree (first time I've ever admitted THAT!) using the queue as misdirection or as a memory aid has an economic cost in SE cash foregone.
Old June 11, 2003, 01:34   #17
Googlie
Emperor

Hmm - I just scenario tested about a dozen outcomes, and notwithstanding my old printouts of OWO posts by Bossman and CEO Bernard's testing to the contrary, can confirm the JDM/Mongoose understanding

(I wonder if this was something that was mistakenly introduced when the facilites' maintenance cost screwup was rectified in Alien Crossfire v 2.0?)

So - the findings corroborate JDM and Mongoose, and I shall henceforth cease pontificating on things I haven't personally tested:

stockpile energy in, or absent from, a build queue makes no difference when a facility or SP reaches production - in both instances that base's full stockpile energy equivalent is added to energy reserves (minus any maintenance costs for the facility just built)

Putting a unit or other facility or SP at the top of the Q results in the SE equivalent not being added to reserves (in fact, if a facility is completed, reserves drop by the amount of that first year's maintenance costs)

With a unit being produced - adding stockpile energy to the top of the Q ("top" is redundant, 'cos nothing can be added after stockpile energy anyway) results in the full energy equivalent being added to the reserves. Omitting stockpiling energy results in no additions to reserves

G.