Old May 28, 2003, 17:06   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Language Police Again! (I'm turning into Dissident)
Quote:
Language police bar 'old,' 'blind'

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) --Oh heck: Hell hath no place in American primary and high school textbooks.

But then again you can't find anyone riding on a yacht or playing polo in the pages of an American textbook either. The texts also can't say someone has a boyish figure, or is a busboy, or is blind, or suffers a birth defect, or is a biddy, or the best man for the job, a babe, a bookworm, or even a barbarian.

All these words are banned from U.S. textbooks on the grounds that they either elitist (polo, yacht) sexist (babe, boyish figure), offensive (blind, bookworm) ageist (biddy) or just too strong (hell which is replaced with darn or heck). God is also a banned word in the textbooks because he or she is too religious.

To get the full 500-word list of what is banned and why, consult "The Language Police," a new book by New York University professor of education Dianne Ravitch, a former education official in President George H.W. Bush's administration and a consultant to the Clinton administration.

She says she stumbled on her discovery of what's allowed and not allowed by accident because publishers insist that they do not impose censorship on their history and English textbook authors but merely apply rules of sensitivity -- which have expanded mightily since first introduced in the 1970s to weed out gender and racial bias.

Ravitch's book is taking people by surprise the same way that Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" did in the 1960s in exposing the effects of pesticides.

'The Older Person and the Water'
She says a lot of people are having fun finding new titles for Ernest Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" which presents problems with every word except "and" and "the." Ravitch said old is ageist, man is sexist and sea can't be used in case a student lives inland and doesn't grasp the concept of a large body of water.

But some people say the phenomenon of sanitizing words and thought is not isolated to textbook publishers seeking not to offend anyone so that sales can be as wide as possible.

The New York Times recently reported that National Institute of Health researchers on AIDS are not only avoiding using words like gay and homosexuals in e-mails so as not to offend conservatives in the Bush administration, they are also inventing code words.

Times journalist Erica Goode reported that one researcher was told to "cleanse" the abstract of his grant proposal of words like gay, homosexual and transgender even though his research was on HIV in gay men.

Nor is the government the only source of constraint or censorship in the watch-what-you-say business. Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, recently banned racy men's magazines from its shelves although it continues to sell sexy underwear.

According to Ravitch both the right wing and the left wing get what they want in American textbooks, for example an emphasis on family values and equality among ethnic groups.

"Everyone gets their pet causes incorporated in textbooks. The history texts are reluctant to criticize any dictator unless they are long dead. And even then, there are exceptions like Mao is praised in one text for modernizing China but his totalitarian rule is not mentioned," she said.

She was also unhappy to see photos in one text of Saudi women working as doctors and nurses because that implied that they had gender equality.

"You also can't say Mother Russia or Fatherland or brotherhood in texts and that's both silly, trivial and breathtaking. It is like George Orwell's 'Newspeak' come to life," she said in an interview, referring to the manipulation of language in "1984."

Ravitch said that textbook publishing is controlled by four main publishers and they aim to sell texts state by state, thus forcing them to dumb down the books and make the language as inoffensive as possible. "They don't want controversy and they don't want people screaming," she said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05...eut/index.html
I'm sorry. But this is the stupidest f*cking thing I've read about today. I know we had another thread not too long ago, this is an update. One of the biggest problems in this society is the revisionist style history that people will learn. History should be offensive. There have been some really nasty, offensive, evil things that have happened. By "dumbing it down" you are doing a great injustice to children by teaching them lies.
Old May 28, 2003, 17:12   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 19:32
This is why any of my potential future spawn shall go to private school.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 28, 2003, 17:20   #3
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 20:32
Does anyone actually read textbooks anymore?

Quote:
She was also unhappy to see photos in one text of Saudi women working as doctors and nurses because that implied that they had gender equality.
Irony being that this is precisely the reason that this kind of thing happens.
Old May 28, 2003, 17:21   #4
Oerdin
Deity

How about all of these "activists" (losers would be a better name for them) just shut the hell up?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 28, 2003, 17:30   #5
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
....man, your country is wacked yo.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 28, 2003, 17:33   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 22:32
This is almost NEVER enforced. However, to my particular amusement, a friend of mine (who goes to a different high school) found out that the Shakespeare in his English textbook was CENSORED they had taken all of the sex jokes out (which is 90% of Shakespeare ) and RENUMBERED THE LINES, so he found out by accident (a question in a study guide about a line that WASN'T THERE). Come on! If you're going to take the sex jokes out of Shakespeare, you might as well not read it

What we found REALLY funny, though, was that the book was published in 1984
Old May 28, 2003, 19:03   #7
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Only in America.
Old May 28, 2003, 19:48   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:32
I think that any historic text or literature piece should be published in theit first version. This way, Shakespeare and his sexual jokes all the way, witnesses of slavery who talk about negroes all the way, "The Old Man and the Sea" all the way etc.

While I find PC generally ludicrous, I don't think it is extremely bad in the comments (it is only very bad ). But slashing the original texts is unforgivable
Old May 28, 2003, 20:04   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:32

"OLDER PERSON AND THE WATER"
Old May 28, 2003, 20:04   #10
Space05us
King

Local Time: 14:32
Quote:
Ravitch said old is ageist, man is sexist and sea can't be used in case a student lives inland and doesn't grasp the concept of a large body of water.

thats wonderful.
Old May 28, 2003, 20:07   #11
Space05us
King

Quote:
The New York Times recently reported that National Institute of Health researchers on AIDS are not only avoiding using words like gay and homosexuals in e-mails so as not to offend conservatives in the Bush administration, they are also inventing code words.

Times journalist Erica Goode reported that one researcher was told to "cleanse" the abstract of his grant proposal of words like gay, homosexual and transgender even though his research was on HIV in gay men.

you gave no idea how much this is killing mw. I can barely type
Old May 28, 2003, 20:13   #12
Space05us
King

I demand a direct link to this article so I can e-mail it to people!!

Old May 28, 2003, 20:34   #13
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
This is almost NEVER enforced. However, to my particular amusement, a friend of mine (who goes to a different high school) found out that the Shakespeare in his English textbook was CENSORED they had taken all of the sex jokes out (which is 90% of Shakespeare ) and RENUMBERED THE LINES, so he found out by accident (a question in a study guide about a line that WASN'T THERE). Come on! If you're going to take the sex jokes out of Shakespeare, you might as well not read it
Most people don't even get them at first read anyway

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 28, 2003, 22:18   #14
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Shakespeare has always sucked. Shakespeares sucks. Shakespeare will always suck.

I demand that Chaucer be taught with its full range of good Anglo-Saxon words for genitalia!
Old May 28, 2003, 22:21   #15
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

I always found the difficulty of discussing Twain in a freshman English class amusing...
Old May 28, 2003, 22:28   #16
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 18:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
....man, your country is wacked yo.

It's to the point where we usually don't even notice the stupidity anymore.
Old May 28, 2003, 23:29   #17
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Shakespeare has always sucked. Shakespeares sucks. Shakespeare will always suck.

none a greater blasphemy hast mine eyes yet seen upon these here boards!!

Quote:

I demand that Chaucer be taught with its full range of good Anglo-Saxon words for genitalia!
You'll find in shakespeare a univesal word for that: "will"

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 29, 2003, 00:31   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:32
"Boyish figure" is sexist?
Old May 29, 2003, 00:40   #19
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:32
This just goes towards strengthening my theory that most of school is brainwashing to keep kids off the street and out of crime.

No wonder teenagers rebel when they understand how much they have been deceived.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 29, 2003, 00:40   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

The great thing is, my English teacher is this awesome guy (all of my core class teachers are really cool; my english, bio and tech teachers all have funky hair too ) who always POINTS OUT in this implied kinda way all of the sex jokes (and some of the funnier things about the Odyssey too). When we do literary discussions, it's hilarious.
Old May 29, 2003, 02:40   #21
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
The great thing is, my English teacher is this awesome guy (all of my core class teachers are really cool; my english, bio and tech teachers all have funky hair too ) who always POINTS OUT in this implied kinda way all of the sex jokes (and some of the funnier things about the Odyssey too). When we do literary discussions, it's hilarious.
Did we perhaps take the same Brit Lit class??

Old May 29, 2003, 02:52   #22
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirnwaffen
I always found the difficulty of discussing Twain in a freshman English class amusing...
And never Mark Twain shall they meet.
Old June 1, 2003, 23:27   #23
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

is girlish figure sexist?
Old June 1, 2003, 23:28   #24
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
is girlish figure sexist?
I hope not

and if it is, I don't give a sh1t
Old June 1, 2003, 23:34   #25
Zkribbler
Deity

Marco...?
Marco...??
Marco...???

Hey, isn't anyone going to say [censored]?
Old June 1, 2003, 23:38   #26
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

polo?
Old June 1, 2003, 23:47   #27
Q Classic
Emperor

"Uncle Tom" is a racist and derogatory term.

"Cabin" is a rustic term, probably not something easily grasped by one who has lived his or her life in the city.

======

"Slaughterhouse" is an offensive term, used in the meatpacking industry before modern times.

"Five" assumes the dominance of the Western numeric system, which is derived from the Arabic numeric system and ignores other number systems, such as the Mayan or Babylonian systems which did not use Base-10.

======

"Crime" is a negative activity, and should not be supported in any way.

"Punishment" is too harsh. Rehabilitation is far more effective.

======

"Pride" has negative connotations, whereas "Self-Esteem" does not.

"Prejudice" is another way of saying "Racism", and we need to avoid that at all costs.

======

"1984" is a hard concept to grasp for students who were born after it.
Old June 2, 2003, 02:13   #28
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 10:32
[q]Ravitch's book is taking people by surprise the same way that Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" did in the 1960s in exposing the effects of pesticides."[q]

We have yet another book about the "evil" politically correct hordes brainwashing poor Americans and this is being compared to Silent Spring.
Old June 2, 2003, 02:16   #29
Kingof the Apes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 18:32
Quote:
"You also can't say Mother Russia or Fatherland or brotherhood in texts and that's both silly, trivial and breathtaking. It is like George Orwell's 'Newspeak' come to life," she said in an interview, referring to the manipulation of language in "1984."
WTF?????
Old June 2, 2003, 03:24   #30
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 05:32
Quote:
'The Older Person and the Water'
She says a lot of people are having fun finding new titles for Ernest Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" which presents problems with every word except "and" and "the." Ravitch said old is ageist, man is sexist and sea can't be used in case a student lives inland and doesn't grasp the concept of a large body of water.