Old May 28, 2003, 17:57   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Recommend me a game for my laptop
So I just got this laptop I need for college. It's a nice Dell Latitude D800. Not too far from the top of the line for Laptops.

I haven't gotten any games in a long time and I have a desire to get a game for it.

Because it is for a laptop, I want a game that at least somewhat meets these requirements.

First, not graphically intense since laptop screens aren't as good and I don't want to hear the computer straining. I also don't want it to get too hot and burn off what's inbetween my legs.

Second, one CD (two at most). It's preferable for a CD not to be required, but it isn't necessary. I'm planning on making good use of this laptop before I go off to college and thus using it in various random places.

Finally, and most importantly, I want to be able to play it mostly with the keyboard. The laptop has both a touchpad and that little micro joystick type device, but those aren't as good as a mouse. Thus I don't want to have to move things around with the mouse all the time. I'm fine using something other than the keyboard in some areas, but I really want to be able to use the keyboard almost all the time.

I'm open to ideas about genres too, so you don't have to limit anything based on that.

That's it. Thanks in advance.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 28, 2003, 17:58   #2
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 04:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
civ2
Old May 28, 2003, 18:10   #3
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Civ2 is a good game, but I'm looking for something a little more recent.

Say, released in the past 2 years.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 28, 2003, 18:13   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 22:32
Not much... the mouse is the best control pad out there. I have one attached to my laptop. After all, without it, how could I play GTA3 or Vice City .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 28, 2003, 18:22   #5
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, it's ok if a point is required frequently actually, as long as I don't have to move it too much. I beat Fallout on a touchpad, for example. That was a little more movement than I'd like, but I can deal with it.
Old May 28, 2003, 19:52   #6
vee4473
King

The only problem that I found with playing civ on laptop is that laptops don't have number keypads, and I use the keypad to move units. It's so convenient.

On my laptop, I have to use the pseudo-keypad, which is really a group of letters that double as a keypad.

Nice, but I never got used to it.

I am going to say Red Alert 2, i know i know, the touchpad will be used most, but I like the way RA2 allows you hold down a button and scroll the map with the pad.

Not the best, but it is the most doable RTS that I have tried on my laptop.

Of course, then there is any text type adventure like Syberia.

hmmm...
Old May 28, 2003, 22:39   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 10:32
It depends on what you like. I could recommend Morrowind or Galatic Civilization, but it's tough not knowing what your preferences are.
Old May 29, 2003, 00:49   #8
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:32
I run SMAC on my computer (Dell Laptop). It runs fine but I had to buy an optical mouse because I was cramping at the wrist. You're better off getting Fallout 2 or something.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 29, 2003, 01:51   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

I don't have any special variety of games for laptop use. I play the same games as with my desktop system (some exceptions may of course exist). However Heroes III, AB and IV are good alternatives, despite you primarily use your mouse. If you need more action, GTA and GTA2 will be okay.
Old May 29, 2003, 10:26   #10
VJ
King

Local Time: 02:32
Civ2 MGE is the best one with laptop, you don't have the room nor interest usually to try more 'actionish' (is that even a word?) -games, and it works with keyboard...
Old May 29, 2003, 11:34   #11
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
It depends on what you like. I could recommend Morrowind or Galatic Civilization, but it's tough not knowing what your preferences are.
Morrowind without a mouse? I have played it and it would seem very difficult to do.

I like many types of games though, I've enjoyed games from all genres throughout my almost decade and a half of computer gaming.
Old May 29, 2003, 23:10   #12
Apocalypse
Emperor

I ended up getting GTA3 as Imran suggested.
Old May 29, 2003, 23:34   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Morrowind without a mouse? I have played it and it would seem very difficult to do.
You could always add an external PS/2 mouse. That's what most people end up doing.
Old May 29, 2003, 23:38   #14
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
You could always add an external PS/2 mouse. That's what most people end up doing.
Yes, I know. The problem is that I may not always have a good surface for a mouse. If I'm going to sit down at a table or desk and play a game, I might as well just play it on the desktop.
Old May 30, 2003, 06:27   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Yes, I know. The problem is that I may not always have a good surface for a mouse. If I'm going to sit down at a table or desk and play a game, I might as well just play it on the desktop.
Ah, use a trackball, then
Old May 30, 2003, 16:29   #16
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

yeah, you can't work with that crappy mousepad... even in Word or other **** I need a mouse..

In games this factor is 10 times as important so you really need a mouse..

Most mice nowadays are pretty good quality and will work on most surfaces (infrared), you could also get yourself a good old shitty classic mouse, that works on every surface, but is not quite that comfortable
Old May 30, 2003, 18:09   #17
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

I play Civ 3 or GBA/SNES emulators games while Im in class.

I carry a USB ps2 lookalike controller with my laptop, but I dont always take it out and use it. Keyboard is fine for playing games like Sonic advanced, castlevania etc.

Stick with emulator games if you arent plugged into an external power. Its really not a question of computer specs or mouse usage... battery power will be the biggest concern if you're playing games outdoors. (Since you got Dell Im assuming you got extra battery as well... Dell laptops suck battery like crazy)

Get extra battery if you havent.

Last edited by Zero; May 30, 2003 at 18:25.
Old May 30, 2003, 19:20   #18
vee4473
King

oh yeah, battery life is as big a concern as interface.

And when you install software, be plugged in.
Old May 30, 2003, 20:41   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

It came with an extra battery, don't worry.

I haven't gotten it hooked up to the internet, so I don't have the chance yet to download any emulators.
Old June 2, 2003, 11:09   #20
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

How about Caesar III? More than two years old (I think), but still a nice game. Works like a charm on my 4-year old laptop.

Edit: Or is my laptop 3 years old? Doesn't matter, should be no problem for you.

Carolus
Old June 3, 2003, 04:18   #21
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Hm, that didn't seem to please the mob...

How about some oldies but goldies? In 1999 Hasbro released refreshed versions of the classic trio Space Invaders, Missile Command, and Asteroids. I have the first two and they're a decent waste of time.

Missile Command cost about 8 USD a couple of weeks back and has both the classic game and an ultimate version. When you win Space Invaders on the hardest level, the classic arcade version becomes available in the main menu...

Carolus