Old June 3, 2003, 18:41   #121
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well... Zylka... I can't see the "humour" in your avatar, so I can't see how that profs you're a genius... actually it proves that you're not...
Old June 3, 2003, 19:52   #122
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:35
It was funny due to its subtlety. But ultimately it failed, as he was caught. The point of such a thing is to see how long he could go without being caught - less than 1 day is pathetic.
Old June 3, 2003, 20:01   #123
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah...who was it a while back, who had the animated avatar where the ship would ocassionally sink? That was good.

Diss--I wouldn't have any problem with it (being a good ol Southern hick*), but ask a mod first.

*this is NOT to be taken as that I am racist in any way; again, we get to the definition of "active preaching." My southern hick reference as such is that the civil war is an important event in Southern history (we've got waaaay too much time on our hands between marryin our cuzzins and huntin' ducks).
Old June 3, 2003, 20:28   #124
Tuberski

Local Time: 21:35
I can't believe 120+ posts have been devoted to this....

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 4, 2003, 00:13   #125
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 02:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
I wonder why

+1

--|-- with legs
Old June 4, 2003, 00:19   #126
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Remember Ming Math...

+1 = - 10%
Old June 4, 2003, 12:43   #127
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
Some of my teachers called it birdwalking. As translated to be relevant to the forums, a topic evolves so that it's not still based around its titlesake but interesting discussion is (usually) still going on.
Old June 4, 2003, 13:32   #128
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Remember Ming Math...

+1 = - 10%
That looks alot like my precalc computations. I still don't understand why I failed.
Old June 4, 2003, 19:22   #129
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:35
But math never was Ming's strong-point.
Old June 4, 2003, 20:03   #130
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I hear it can be punishing when he calculates PCRs. Twenty percent of 1000, , PCR= 1250.

Old June 5, 2003, 03:49   #131
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 18:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I missed his nazy avatar, can someone post a picture of it? The only one I seen yesterday was an avatar with a penis in it That was the first thing I noticed about it. What does that say about me?

Are we allowed to have confederate battle flags as avatars?

As the only Confederate sympathizing, southern moderator on this site, I will tell you in all likelihood, not only no, but hell no, on account of some inbred redneck *******s who've coopted the battle flag and used it as a symbol of modern white supremacist movements and intimidation of non-white Protestants. (The Klan only despises Catholics and Jews a little less than non-whites)

My usual avatar is the first Confederate national flag. I have stars and bars wallpapers for my computer, but they're also specific regimental colors of regiments my ancestors fought in. The regimental designations, battle honors, etc. won't show on an 80 x 80 avatar, so I've never used those.
Old June 5, 2003, 09:53   #132
Finarfin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

As the only Confederate sympathizing, southern moderator on this site, I will tell you in all likelihood, not only no, but hell no, on account of some inbred redneck *******s who've coopted the battle flag and used it as a symbol of modern white supremacist movements and intimidation of non-white Protestants. (The Klan only despises Catholics and Jews a little less than non-whites)
Not to mention that it's representative of a rebellious faction of the country that wanted to continue to own other human beings, and buy and sell them like chattel.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:02   #133
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Finarfin
Not to mention that it's representative of a rebellious faction of the country that wanted to continue to own other human beings, and buy and sell them like chattel.
Damn straight! They should have denounced other people owning slaves while having whole cattle-pens of slaves themselves like that fine upstanding statesman Thomas Jefferson!
Old June 5, 2003, 12:02   #134
Finarfin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Damn straight! They should have denounced other people owning slaves while having whole cattle-pens of slaves themselves like that fine upstanding statesman Thomas Jefferson!
Exactly! Though at least Jefferson was willing to acknowledge that it was a mistake. I doubt that the CSA would've done away with slavery before the end of the 19th century.
Old June 5, 2003, 20:17   #135
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Though at least Jefferson was willing to acknowledge that it was a mistake.

Let's move this thread to the OT forum... might get more traffic there. As for this point, Jefferson had many opportunities to free the slaves, but chose not because of the financial harship he would have endured setting them free.
Old June 6, 2003, 01:59   #136
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Finarfin

As opposed to the Yankee model of laissez faire exploitation of a de facto powerless working class?

Slavery was immoral (not that there was much to recommend for most of the other social conventions of the time), but rebellion is an incorrect term. We simply chose to withdraw as sovereign states from that association we voluntarily entered as sovereign states. Y'all chose to make an issue of it.
Old June 6, 2003, 02:23   #137
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
As opposed to the Yankee model of laissez faire exploitation of a de facto powerless working class?
Nobody's forcing them to work, therefore they cannot be exploited.

They can always find work elsewhere.
Old June 6, 2003, 03:22   #138
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:35
trust me they were exploited.

The thing to remember is the businesses always have the upper hand.

People have to work or they starve to death. the businesses don't have that restriction. They can hire and fire whom they please without worrying about starving to death.

Therefore the employee is always at a disadvantage to the employer. just take a look at sweat shops and working conditions in other countries. There is a reason why there is no manufacturing in the U.S. anymore. They can't exploit us for profit like they can other countries.

The only thing that can bring the employee even close the the bargaining level of the employer is labour unions. Sure they are corrupt now days, but they still serve a purpose.
Old June 6, 2003, 06:46   #139
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

When did the discussion of Zylka's avatar=the discussion of the CSA?

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 6, 2003, 08:25   #140
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Just wait til it's your turn... when we talk about your avatar, we ends up talking about life in space
Old June 6, 2003, 08:49   #141
Finarfin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
When did the discussion of Zylka's avatar=the discussion of the CSA?

When someone wanted to know if the Confederate Battle Jack could be banned as well. Being offended is all so subjective anyway that I personally find it ridiculous to ban anything. I hate having someone determine what I should be offended by and what I shouldn't.
Old June 6, 2003, 09:26   #142
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Just wait til it's your turn... when we talk about your avatar, we ends up talking about life in space
Am I so special? *proud*
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 6, 2003, 13:06   #143
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

So what do you think of the ESA missions to Mars?
Old June 6, 2003, 13:08   #144
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I am not sure about the UK, but in many countries, open displays of Nazism are illegal, and so are open assemblies of neo-Nazis. For the very least, that is a symbol of hate, racism, war, and repression.
In the UK the use of the swastica is not illegal however it is in extremely poor taste and flaunting one would also open one to charges of "Behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace" which is an offence.

In the UK we have an "Anti-Nazi League" which is full of well meaning folk as well as rabid left wingers who seem to forget that Communism as practiced by Stalin actually murdered more innocent people than the Nazi's ever did. It amazes me that it is fine for someone to use Stalin, who was a mass murderer among other things as a "Leader" figure for Russia and yet vox pop shuns the use of Adolph for the Germans (Or would that be Austrians?"

Either way, it was sensible to remove the offending symbol and probably not the best of ideas to have wanted it there in the first place.

Next time, send a gunboat!

Honesty is the best policy although insanity is the better defence!
Old June 6, 2003, 14:41   #145
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
People have to work or they starve to death. the businesses don't have that restriction. They can hire and fire whom they please without worrying about starving to death.
Of course, there was no welfare then.

What about now? Can a worker still be exploited?
Old June 6, 2003, 14:49   #146
mrmitchell
King

In a nation without welfare or with a broken welfare system, yes. So the exploitation is not eliminated, just moved.
Old June 6, 2003, 22:21   #147
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

exploitation, class warfare… what BS. Welfare is just an exploitation of misplaced guilt. For every person who honestly and temporarily needs it there are a half dozen milking the system.
Old June 6, 2003, 23:42   #148
mrmitchell
King

Unfortunately yes. A better system for screening would be liked but it's very difficult (nay, dare I say, impossible.)
Old June 7, 2003, 03:12   #149
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

also people have to work because of debt concerns. Most americans are in debt. While they won't necessarily starve to death (they can collect food stamps) they may lose their home or lose the place they are renting, and may ruin their credit.

While starving to death is impossible in the U.S., becoming homeless can still be a problem.

And yes starving to death is impossible in the U.S. It's funny the liberals still claim there are millions of starvin kids in the U.S. everytime the U.S. gets involved in some war like in Iraq that costs billions of dollars. The fact is kids in the U.S. are not starving to death. The biggest problem is they are eating too much food and junk food.

The only starvation we have in the U.S. is from Anorexics and bulemics. And they are intentionally doing that to themselves, that is not from lack of available food.
Old June 7, 2003, 03:14   #150
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

And what about the Chinese in space? I was reading an old Discover magazine, and they were talking about their space program. Weren't they supposed to have a manned space flight in 2003?

Has that happened?

they have been keeping such thing secret though, we have only found out about their flights into space after the launch when we detect them on radar. I suppose we will find out when it happens if they get someone in space.

so how is that for life in space?