Old June 4, 2003, 17:41   #33
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I'd better bring the stain remover then

Seriously, if you need a place to sleep and you don't mind spending 45 minutes on a train to get there, just let me know...
Old June 4, 2003, 17:43   #34
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
And IW, don't worry, we all speak English with an endearing accent... Though we probably will be speaking Dutch just to piss you off
Maybe we could all bring a ton of post-it notes, not the break the habbit and all that
Old June 5, 2003, 08:25   #35
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I'm currenty in the process of sending the following PM:

Quote:
[English version below]

Hallo,

Een aantal Nederlanders probeert om een Nederlandse Apolyton Meeting te organiseren ergens in de zomervakantie. We willen met zoveel mogelijk Nederlandse en Belgische Apolytoners (maar ook geinteresseerde Britten/Duitsers/Fransen/etc zijn meer dan welkom) afspreken om elkaar ook eens in het echt te ontmoeten. Een aantal van ons heeft dit al eerder gedaan en het waren erg gezellige bijeenkomsten die zeker voor herhaling vatbaar zijn.

Als je geinteresseerd bent om bij deze nieuwe bijeenkomst ook aanwezig te zijn, ga dan naar de onderstaande 'draad' om dit aan te geven en om mee te discussieren over datum/tijd/plaats/etc...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=87631

Als je hier niet in geinteresseerd bent, excuses voor de spam.

Wouter (alias Locutus)

[English version]

Greetings,

This PM was intended to be sent out to a number of Dutch/Belgian Apolytoners, most/all of whom speak Dutch. So if you received this while you can't speak Dutch, it may not have been intended for you. If so, I apologize for the inconvenience (but if you live in/near the Netherlands, you may still be interested in the contents )

A number of Dutch people is trying to organize a Dutch Apolyton Meeting sometime this summer. We want to get as many Dutch and Belgian Apolytoners (but interested British/Germans/French are also more than welcome) together to meet each other in real life for a change. Some of us have done this before and they were experiences well worth repeating.

If you're interested in attending this new meeting, go to the thread listed below to indicate this and to join the discussion on date/time/place/etc...

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=87631

If you're not interested, I apologize for the spam.

Wouter (aka Locutus)
To the following list of people:

DeathByTheSword
Lemmy
Ribannah
Aidun
M. Darkheart
Mannamagnus
Major Guz
teic
Mark123jansen
STING
Saint Marcus
CyberShy
Floris O
S. Kroeze
Franses
germanos
Panzer
Azrael
DeepO
shade
Flandrien
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Dry
georges bonbon
Colon
Trajanus
Maniac
August Borms
Zaphod Beeblebrox

These are all 'active' Dutch and Belgian Apolytoners (where active means posted in the last month and has 50+ posts) that I could think off and that haven't posted here yet (plus 1 German who lives near the Dutch border and expressed interest in joining a Dutch meeting in the past). I'm sure I missed a few and there may be more non-Dutch or non-active people around who might be interested. So anyone knows others who might be interested in joining us, feel free to contact them or give me their contact info...
Old June 5, 2003, 08:30   #36
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 03:35
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Locutus
(plus 1 German who lives near the Dutch border and expressed interest in joining a Dutch meeting in the past).

thats me i guess
i'm still interested, but it depends upon where when and what the costs will be (no i'm not interested in soccer, neither dutch, german or anywhere else). its hard to predict when i will have time. its hard to predict whether i will have spare money then. so i suggest you should just plan whatever you wish and tell me if there is an exact date and location and i will decide then.

p.s. i live in aachen (aka aken aka aix-la-chapelle aka aquis grana) which is very close to both the dutch and the belgium border. about 0 metres *g*) some suburbs of aachen claim to be dutch respectively belgian towns of their own
Old June 5, 2003, 08:34   #37
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

what is it with Dutchies that enjoy meetings with loads of people they have never ever talked to before?
Old June 5, 2003, 08:42   #38
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

I'll probably be available in July and August. Sounds like fun
Old June 5, 2003, 08:48   #39
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Received your mail. Thanks.

I sure am interested. Most of July is possible for me. August only the second half.
Old June 5, 2003, 08:50   #40
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I think they are a lot of us who don't feel much for going to a theme park or football match, something I can certainly imagine.

So I guess in that case meeting in Amsterdam, like several of us proposed, seems like the best thing to do, assuming there aren't too many objections.

That leaves us to pick a date. Do people have a preference? Weekday, weekend? Evening, afternoon? Personally I have no real preferences (OV kaart geldt niet in de vakantie ).
Old June 5, 2003, 08:52   #41
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
The Fantasy Fair would have been a nice location.

The next Ducosim convention/spellenbeurs is on Saturday, 6 September, in Utrecht - too late?
Old June 5, 2003, 08:59   #42
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Well, I can use my OV in the weekends of the holiday period.
Old June 5, 2003, 09:00   #43
Bas
Prince

For me, it's the later the better. It's unlikely that I'll be able to come during the summer holidays, but after that, who knows.
Old June 5, 2003, 09:02   #44
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

of course you are all welcome to the 4th karlscon (rpg-convention in aachen) from july 4th to 6th
Old June 5, 2003, 09:35   #45
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I'm not sure if I'll come, I'll just keep an eye on this thread, if it's interesting I might jump by

I'm unavailable from july 11th - july 28th
Old June 5, 2003, 09:38   #46
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

dunno if i'll come, i'm sort of available from july 26th.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old June 5, 2003, 11:22   #47
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

After the 9th of July I have only two weeks before I leave for a holiday in Austria. Perhaps one of those two weeks I'll spend in Ireland or Scotland.

I doubt that I can attend it, but I have to wait and see.

Nice idea anyway.

Locutus, try BigFurryMonster, I didn't see him on the list and he is quite active too. You could also try to get Homunculus on this meeting. He is a friend of mine and I know he likes this kind of things. He is not very active here though.

Success with organizing,

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old June 5, 2003, 12:42   #48
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
ga dan naar de onderstaande 'draad' om dit aan te geven en
That really is a dutch habbit, isn't it, to translate these kind of words . I have never ever heard a belgian use the word 'draad', we just keep the word 'thread'
-
Don't know if I'll make, I should be free though.
-
Quote:
So I guess in that case meeting in Amsterdam, like several of us proposed, seems like the best thing to do, assuming there aren't too many objections.
Old June 5, 2003, 12:43   #49
Locutus
Deity

Aidun,
Homunculus is one of those people whom I knew I was forgetting about I didn't even know BigFurryMonster was Dutch... I'll PM both of them in a moment...

All,
I did some research on the exact dates of my exams. The best times for me would be 5 July - 5 August or 20-24 August. After that my summer vacation is over. I would still be able to attend during weekends (heck, I can be available almost any weekend if know about it soon enough). Weekdays may still be possible, but that depends largely on what courses I plan on following (which I don't know yet). Regardless of that, I'd prefer not to do anything in the first week of a new semester (i.e. August 25 - August 29).

It seems that July is a bad month for a LOT of people, so we can probably elimate that. August 8 is the date of the London meeting and at least some of us will probably be going there as well, so we'll want to stay away from there as well. That leaves either the first week of August or late August/early September, while several people have already indicated that they would prefer the second half of August.

So I'm gonna be bold and propose 3 dates, all Saturdays: August 23, August 30 and September 6. A day or two earlier or later would still be possible, but how are people on/around these days?

For me:

23-8: Available, 24-8 and a few days earlier would be okay as well.

30-8: Available, 31-8 would also be okay, but not other days around 30-8.

6-9: Available, 7-9 is also okay, other days I don't know yet.
Old June 5, 2003, 12:46   #50
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
That really is a dutch habbit, isn't it, to translate these kind of words
I usually don't, but we used to have a few 'Nederlandse draden' here on Apolyton in the past, (until Ming disallowed them ) so I just copied the translation that was common in those days (though I have no idea who used it first)
Old June 5, 2003, 12:46   #51
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Well, can't promise anything, but keep me informed. I desperately need to visit a friend in Amsterdam (he moved there 5 years ago, and I haven't seen his house yet), so maybe something can be arranged...

on the effort!

DeepO
Old June 5, 2003, 13:18   #52
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I will certainly make my best effort to get over there...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 5, 2003, 13:52   #53
Locutus
Deity

I just noticed that the weekend of August 23 is also the weekend of the Uitmarkt. So there will be all sorts of cultural events throughout the city centre of Amsterdam (concerts, street artists, etc). To quote a tourist website:

Quote:
This annual event in the fall highlights the upcoming season of music and performing arts. All around Amsterdam stages are setup for various groups to preview their talents. The Dam Square has the biggest stage with the best acts. The most amazing part is you get all this entertainment for FREE! That is a rare thing in Holland. If you are staying for a few months it's possible to get discounts by subscribing to a series of performances. The whole scheme is rather complex to sort out, but there are some good values.
In short, Amsterdam at it's best. Seems like an excellent date for a 'Poly meet to me... (Those who want to could even combine the Meet with a visit to a concert or a play or something, though we probably don't want to do that with the whole group)

Uitmarkt 2003 website (currently under construction and only in Dutch): http://www.uitmarkt.nl/
Old June 5, 2003, 15:41   #54
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

23-8 is my birthday, so I won't be able to come on that day. But I think I am available on your other two proposed dates.
Old June 5, 2003, 23:25   #55
Panzer
Warlord

Sounds interesting and those dates should be fine, although I do have some re-exams in august, but barring that I will definitely consider coming .
Old June 6, 2003, 02:33   #56
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

I'm probably available on the first two weekends mentioned. The third one is a maybe.
Old June 6, 2003, 04:22   #57
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Well I will be on vacation between 3 and 26 july, and somewhere in august I'll be leaving Holland for the states (as an exchange student) No set date for that departure untill I get a host family, but probably halfway august.
Old June 6, 2003, 04:36   #58
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 02:35
I am interested and will follow this thread.

I am not making any promises though.

Just pick a date and a location. You will never make everybody happy.
Old June 9, 2003, 07:55   #59
Locutus
Deity

I just realized 30 August is the weekend of Lowlands. Since some of us seem to want to go there but not enough to warrant a 'Poly meet, I guess we should rule out that weekend.

The only date noone has objected to yet is 6 September. Is everyone okay with that?
Old June 9, 2003, 08:26   #60
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
I just realized 30 August is the weekend of Lowlands. Since some of us seem to want to go there but not enough to warrant a 'Poly meet, I guess we should rule out that weekend.

The only date noone has objected to yet is 6 September. Is everyone okay with that?
hi ,

seems great , if some people want a discount on trainfares from france , the uk , belgium or lux , send a pm to panag

have a nice day