View Poll Results: Should Techs Cost More?
All techs should cost more 6 26.09%
Later techs should cost more 2 8.70%
Techs should cost the same 6 26.09%
Techs should cost less 2 8.70%
Only the banana knows 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29, 2003, 23:14   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should Techs Cost More?
Even with a medium-sized empire, by the Industrial Age you can research techs in under 10 turns pretty easily. Modern age by 1650 AD and the end of the game is probably pretty close afterwards. Should the techs (after Ancient Age, mainly) cost more? It seems as though by the time you get to Riflemen/Infantry/Tanks you end up with obsolete units in about 20 turns, and unless you're fighting constant world war, that's a whole lot of spacebar pushing.
Old May 30, 2003, 00:10   #2
Azeem
Prince

Local Time: 02:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Or maybe there should be more techs. Technology nowadays in the real world is advancing quite quickly (though it doesn't mean that we're really getting any wiser ).

The tech tree for Civ3 is far too small. It ought to be huge and expanded like in GalCiv.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old May 30, 2003, 01:42   #3
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I voted for bannanas

But Azeem has a point. The tech tree in Civ3 is basically the same one we got in Civ1 and Civ2.

The modern age has long known to be in need for more variety.

Adding say... 5 to 6 techs at the end of the modern age tech tree would be interesting.

Perhaps in Civ 4, they will flesh out the modern age and introduce a new age, the post-modern (which we are in currently) and move the spaceship to PoMo. While concentrating on techs in the modern age such as the vacuum tube (for TVs), Media centers, Activism small wonder (increases war weariness in all governments, but also increases production, reduces pollution and reduces chance of culture flip), The Transnational Corporation (new wonder).

Last edited by dexters; May 30, 2003 at 01:51.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:00   #4
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
To the extent that entering the modern age in the 1600's or earlier is a problem, I think it's a calibration problem, not a game balance problem. Right now, the balance between tech advances and construction speed is excellent, providing new things to build about as quickly as the older improvements can be completed. If the rate of tech advancement were slowed down, there would be a lot more time when players have nothing better to build than troops or wealth, which would undercut the key strategic choice of how to balance military production against economic, scientific, and cultural production. Further, if the tech pace were slowed down, that would drag out the game even more for players pursuing a peaceful victory.

And personally, I don't view space race victories by 1600 AD as particularly a problem. Entering space around 1400 instead of around 1960 is less than a 10% difference in number of years since 4000 BC, and it's hard to argue that mankind couldn't have gotten into space about 10% faster than we did if we'd managed our world better. Obviously, the difference in terms of number of turns is far greater, but the representation of fewer years per turn toward the end does wonders for keeping actual dates of victory sane.

I voted "Techs should cost the same," but I'd like to qualify that. To the extent that new city improvements are introduced, adding new techs or adding to the cost of existing ones to counterbalance the time required for a good city to build those new improvements would be a good idea. The real key is to keep the pace of technology about the same relative to the pace at which cities can keep up with the latest technology.
Old May 30, 2003, 05:05   #5
Daz
Prince

I voted they should cost more. I like long games.... And I also want more techs giving more units....
Old May 30, 2003, 07:17   #6
Worthingtons
Prince

I think they should all cost the same, it is elitist to think some should be worth more than others!!
Damn Capitalists.
Old May 30, 2003, 07:33   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 03:39
I modded the game, increasing all tech rates (not tech costs!) by 50%, the minimal research time to 6 turns and the maximal to 60 turns and reducing all AI-to-AI trade rates (cut the excess over 100% in half, 150% becomes 125%), which also reduces the speed of tech whoring. This makes me enter the modern age in the late 1800's or early 1900's, and moves the end of the tech tree in the 2000's. Now, I think about increasing the cost of modern age techs and extending the turn span of the game from 540 to 600..700.
Old May 30, 2003, 09:08   #8
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Now, I think about increasing the cost of modern age techs and extending the turn span of the game from 540 to 600..700.
Ouch! I increased my game to the full 1000 turns, and I've spent alot of time fiddling with the tech rate etc. and production costs in order to balance things out again. I've been at it since PTW came out, and I still don't have it quite right.
Old May 30, 2003, 10:22   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

The game is balanced as it is. I'd like to see as an option a "Post-Modern" age where Firaxis tries to predict the future

However, for the reasons nbarclay mentioned, adding techs in the ancient, midieval, industrial would unbalance the troops vs. economics aspect (or something ).
Old May 30, 2003, 11:01   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Azeem
The tech tree for Civ3 is far too small. It ought to be huge and expanded like in GalCiv.
Try the "Double Your Pleasure" mod. The tech tree is about twice the size.
Old May 30, 2003, 17:29   #11
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
I am not so sure that buildings being completed about the same time that new techs come on line is realistic. With additional techs then a society would have to decide weather or not to build one or the other improvements granted by the techs. This seems more real world to me. I for one, don't have a problem with the current cost of techs and the speed at which they come. I think that nbarclay has an excellent point that mankind could easily have gained a 10% time increase in getting to the space age with better management.

To me it is a problem of not enough techs, not tech cost.

TheArsenal, I really enjoyed the double your pleasure mod. It creates interesting choices early.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 30, 2003, 17:38   #12
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
I think that nbarclay has an excellent point that mankind could easily have gained a 10% time increase in getting to the space age with better management.
It's probably more than that. The fall of the Roman Empiire probably set us back at least 1000 years. On a 4000 year time scale, that's 25%.
Old May 30, 2003, 18:17   #13
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

It's probably more than that. The fall of the Roman Empiire probably set us back at least 1000 years. On a 4000 year time scale, that's 25%.
When you take that into consideration plus a 10% increase due to heightened efficiency of management then you are looking at hitting the space age around 400-600A.D. If this is correct, then this would seem to say that tech cost is to high. Unless you assume that a "dark age" is inevitable and that this was taken into consideration in pricing the techs.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 31, 2003, 09:45   #14
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Well yeah, the fall of the Roman Empire put us back at least 750 years, but you've got to remember: Rome could have easily stood in a Civ3 game, management or not--there were more reasons for its fall than Civ could emulate correctly.
Old May 31, 2003, 13:51   #15
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 23:39
I agree Mr. Mitchell. The game can't show all the variables that led the Roman Empire to its fall.

I'd like more techs, I'd like more Units, I'd like more turns. I'm pretty much greedy, I think.

I WANT IT ALL!

Edit: In the land of the apples, Banana's the King!
Old May 31, 2003, 16:07   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
hi ,

some techs should definatly cost more

it would also be great to see certain techs that would cost more according to the civ that wants it , .....

and we should have an option in the editor to block certain or all research from certain or all civs , this would be great for scenario's and mods

have a nice day
Old May 31, 2003, 16:18   #17
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Like I said, I think tech costs are fine. The problem with playing in higher difficulty levels is AI gets production bonses, they research faster than a normal game, and if you are trading techs, you also advance faster.

I think the best solution is for us to cross our fingers and hope Firaxis throw in a few new techs in Conquests.
Old May 31, 2003, 16:59   #18
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
and we should have an option in the editor to block certain or all research from certain or all civs , this would be great for scenario's and mods

Quote:
have a nice day
Good usage of

Quote:
I think the best solution is for us to cross our fingers and hope Firaxis throw in a few new techs in Conquests.
I think they'll add at least one, just on a hunch.