Old May 30, 2003, 01:25   #1
Chunbeard
Settler

Local Time: 02:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
do you ever raze your own buildings?
one thing i do that seems to work on a limited degree is razing my barracks/auto plants/siege factories and continually relocating them closer and closer to the front.

dumb?
Chunbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 13:33   #2
dearmad
Prince

Why raze them? It's not like you save that much in resources.

I do raze farms and stuff on cities I take over if I kno I'm never going to be farming there. I don't want the AI to have farms if it retakes the town. I mostly only do this on one front where I can't afford all the men and equipment I know I need to ensure success, during multi front wars.

But then I find difficulty level defines a lot about hw a person plays the game- they really vary, I play on tough (which I renamed King).
dearmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 13:36   #3
Bridger
Warlord

Local Time: 21:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I raize them because if i have a barracks way back at my base, and i have a barracks at the front lines, when i hit shift+K to select all barracks and have them build units, the ones from the main base will get there much later, and so if i have fallen back they may walk into the rally point that i had placed but now it's enemy territory.

That kind of thing.
Old May 30, 2003, 13:50   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:41
Ah, but the barracks at the capital is used for research.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 14:21   #5
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Yup. You're probably going to build your first barracks near your capital. Keep that one the whole game for upgrades. Use control groups to mark the barracks that you want to produce units, that way you don't have to worry about pressing K and getting a barracks very far from the front. You use the control group hotkey to select the correct barracks instead. And set your rally points on your generals so that the new troops will always enter the fight instead of hanging out at a fixed rally point.
Old May 30, 2003, 14:27   #6
vootguy
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:41
You can set building rally points on units? i.e. you can actually have a barracks drop new units on a general, no matter where that general has moved?
Old May 30, 2003, 14:42   #7
albiedamned
Prince

Yup. Not only that, the new units will join whatever control groups the rally point unit is in.
Old May 30, 2003, 15:19   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

but you'll have 3 pikemen walking across the map for no reason.

also, note that more barracks = more expensive new barracks.

as your front moves on, you might want to build new barracks, especially if your civ ability is 3 free infantry. razing the old one gives you cheaper barracks, and therefore cheaper troops (ie, 120 timber for 3 heavy infs as rome, as opposed to 240 if you had a few barracks lying randomly around)
Old May 30, 2003, 15:29   #9
Madine
Warlord

If you raze and rebuild you don't get the bonus, at least you're not supposed to.
Madine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 15:39   #10
albiedamned
Prince

Madine is correct. At least he is supposed to be.
Old May 30, 2003, 15:51   #11
vootguy
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by albiedamned
Yup. Not only that, the new units will join whatever control groups the rally point unit is in.
Hot damn, its like Brian Reynolds plays and likes games or something This is a great feature that I had no idea about.
Old May 30, 2003, 16:00   #12
albiedamned
Prince

In order to keep things coordinated during hectic battles, I will usually get set up ahead of time as follows. I will generally have 3 control groups: one for infantry (usually a mix of archer/gunpowder and heavy), one for cavalry, and one for seige. Ideally all 3 groups get a general, but sometimes the cavalry does not. Infantry and siege also get supply wagons. I set up the closest barracks, stable, and seige factories to the front to be on F1, F2, and F3, and I set their rally points on the generals of the infantry, cavalry, and siege groups respectively. If the cavalry group has no general, then I just pick an arbitrary cavalry unit in the group for the rally point, but you have to keep checking because if that unit dies the rally point goes away and new units just stand there by the stable.

Anyway, with this configuration, things are very easy to manage during the battle. Need more infantry? Just press F1 and produce the needed units. More siege? Just press F3. As long as my generals are still alive, I know the new units will join the front as soon as they are ready. I never have to scroll my map off the battle with this approach.
Old May 30, 2003, 16:26   #13
Chunbeard
Settler

great stuff - ? for albiedamned
you indicate F1, F2, F3...

is it possible to assign a hotkey to a build que.

for instance.

I hit F1 and without even needing to select a barrack, a machine gunner is spat out?

something on those lines?

can i also find a definitive list of hotkeys?

can we make macros? in the options it has an screen for hotkeys. possible to chain up commands.

ie. F2 = one archer+one pikeman+one knight?

if not, would that be useful suggestions for the next patch?
thanks all!
Chunbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 16:32   #14
albiedamned
Prince

I don't think macros as you describe are possible. F1-F8 are just additional control groups you can use (besides 1-9). To put a barracks on F1, select the barracks and press ctrl-F1. From then on, pressing F1 will select the barracks. To create a machine gunner, just press F1 and then whatever the hotkey is for machine gunner ("A" I think). I usually still click the buttons for creating units rather than using hotkeys since I don't know all the unit creation hotkeys.
Old May 30, 2003, 17:16   #15
KenR7A
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by albiedamned
In order to keep things coordinated during hectic battles, I will usually get set up ahead of time as follows. I will generally have 3 control groups: one for infantry (usually a mix of archer/gunpowder and heavy), one for cavalry, and one for seige. Ideally all 3 groups get a general, but sometimes the cavalry does not. Infantry and siege also get supply wagons. I set up the closest barracks, stable, and seige factories to the front to be on F1, F2, and F3, and I set their rally points on the generals of the infantry, cavalry, and siege groups respectively. If the cavalry group has no general, then I just pick an arbitrary cavalry unit in the group for the rally point, but you have to keep checking because if that unit dies the rally point goes away and new units just stand there by the stable.

Anyway, with this configuration, things are very easy to manage during the battle. Need more infantry? Just press F1 and produce the needed units. More siege? Just press F3. As long as my generals are still alive, I know the new units will join the front as soon as they are ready. I never have to scroll my map off the battle with this approach.
excellent strat! thank you very much for this info. I will try to incorporate this into my playing. Im always running into organization issues with my army.
KenR7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 19:47   #16
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
Don't you people raze univercities after all research has been done to free up some citizens/units because of the pop cap?
(you can the scolars out too peacefully, but they go back ASAP, unless enemy troops are nearby)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 19:53   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Don't you people raze univercities after all research has been done to free up some citizens/units because of the pop cap?
(you can the scolars out too peacefully, but they go back ASAP, unless enemy troops are nearby)
i have never did that, but thats probably because i never get all the techs.
Old May 30, 2003, 20:07   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:41
Quote:
have never did that, but thats probably because i never get all the techs
Ahh, well I am slightly slower at RTS , and I always keep thinking ""ooh, I'll get that tech and then I'll crush him", which of course makes, that in the end I finish ending up researching (almost) everything (before I get my but kicked and/or if I even get there)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote