Old July 2, 2003, 02:52   #61
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

you'll find the retort to this statement in an earlier post in this thread. I suggest you go look for it
hi ,

missed it , .... *sigh*

thanks

have a nice day
Old July 5, 2003, 08:19   #62
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 12:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
I don't think so... MicroProse was bought by Hasbro, which then, I believe sold it's computer gaming department (focussing back on boardgames) to Infogrames. Infogrames changed its name to Atari.

Firaxis is a separate company that came about when Sid Meier split off from MicroProse (or was it Hasbro by then?), like Big Huge Games.
But Firaxis and BHG are only game design companies, so their games are published by different companies. In the case of Firaxis that's Atari (Infogrames), for BHG (at least RoN) that's Microsoft.
Merc, reading those 2 paragraphs makes my head hurt.

I must say that I'm stunned that a company has made the strategic decision to change it's name back(?) to Atari. For all of us born after 1980, Atari is a byword for bad, outdated computing technology.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old July 5, 2003, 08:41   #63
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I'm not sure if Infogrames (originally French) has anything to do with Atari. I think they just bought the name or something.
And Atari is still very much a household name, especially now the people that grew up with Atari are reaching their late twenties and 30's. The perfect crowd to sell computer games to.
Old July 5, 2003, 14:06   #64
sirsnuggles
Civilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that new people still join the civ2 community...well...I'm one of those new people! I just didn't have internet connection for the past 5 years. Too poor.

But I'm a civ2 freak, who wants to start writing scenarios.

Viva la civ2! May it live forever.
Old July 5, 2003, 16:23   #65
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 22:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
And the limits weren't really problems with any scenarios,
THis is not entirely true. I've just hit 256 cities in my Earth of 1997 on a Foolhardily Large Gigamap scenario and I am going around to delete cities of other nations to give to the Neutrals.

Ideally I'd be working with around 300 cities or so but as it is I think we're going to have to put barbarian hordes down in most areas to represent the cities.
Old July 5, 2003, 17:23   #66
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

That's why I added...

Quote:
but that's mostly because the scenario creators have been so inventive in trying to bend the rules and use and abuse all of civ2's features and bugs.

I meant to say: The only reason we've been able to deal with the limits so far is because we can still get something workable in spite of them (e.g. like using barbarians, as you mentioned).

In other, less customisable games, the limitations might have made it completely impossible to make (certain types of) scenarios in the first place (e.g. Civ3).

But getting the source would make life a lot easier (well, "life"... make that "some aspects of scenario creation" ).