Old June 1, 2003, 00:48   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:36.
Old June 1, 2003, 02:57   #2
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 21:49
Hmm... a spy would definitely not be good. Do you know of any way that we can resolve this quickly (or even if us lowly functions can help at all)? I'd rather not have that possibility looming over our heads for too long.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 1, 2003, 17:14   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
WHich faction asked him to cheat for them? Should they be repramanded at all? Since much of the rules of this game rely on honesty and sportsmanship I think trying to take advantage of this like that is appauling. I think the least they deserve is being named and shamed so that we know not to trust them

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 1, 2003, 17:30   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:49
I agree. We need to know who we should eliminate first!
Old June 1, 2003, 17:54   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I have been assured that the "invite to espionage" was 'tongue in cheek' - and actually was probably never read as he has not yet been authorized by that fation leader.

He apparently has not yet been authorized by the Hive or the PUT, so if the CC has, then he might, by default, now be a CC member

In the circumstances, the "guilty faction" did no damage, so I'd prefer they be nameless.

G.
Old June 1, 2003, 18:24   #6
Corellion
Prince

But, if this member is a spy, he/she still has access to our forum! It's entirely possible that this person is reading our strategy and looking at our screenshots and reporting it to another faction!
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old June 1, 2003, 18:36   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

However maybe they only have access to ours. I let them join, thinking it was a Googlie DL (joined at the same time as rynn) but the other might not have. Would he still get their civ group id symbol then?

Old June 1, 2003, 18:50   #8
Corellion
Prince

But what if this person is an avatar for a) another member or b) somebody who personally knows another member. Even though he/she can't collect information from the other factions, he/she can still gather information from us. It's possible that he/she is not spying for one of the other factions he/she joined, but for one of the other two.
Old June 1, 2003, 21:21   #9
Googlie
Emperor

I believe that one gets the faction symbol when application is made, but until authorized, the forum threads cannot be accessed (at least that was the case with Rynn: )

I (Rynn: ) was listed in the CC's member list, but against the faction I had the "awaiting authorization" notice in place of the "join" that was there and the "private forum" that is now there.

From Voltaire's comments (and lack of any activity with the PUT for over 24 hours) it would appear that the CC is the only faction to have issued the authorization.

Which, of course, is not to say that it isn't a "spy" (given credence by the other faction's private post invitation to do just that - but I suspect that that was just opportune, as it came after the triple membership had been exposed in the general forum)

I can obviously police the private forums to see if infiltration data is being supplied - either overtly, or covertly (by e-mail or chat room to which I am not invited) - the latter would be evidenced by an unerring beeline for a rival faction unit, or hitherto unknown base, etc etc

Preferable would be to be able to delist the offender and ban triple memberships actively. With MarkG out-of-commission, I wonder if DanQ can do anything?

G.
Old June 2, 2003, 09:01   #10
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
maybe dan can grant us the ability for members to be expelled from our faction. i'd think we'll need a vote on it though before we ask him.

BTW, whoever PMs dan might as well ask to make G the mod of the main forum while they're at it
Old June 2, 2003, 09:32   #11
Googlie
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
Which, of course, is not to say that it isn't a "spy" (given credence by the other faction's private post invitation to do just that - but I suspect that that was just opportune, as it came after the triple membership had been exposed in the general forum)
I have been assured - and I unequivocally accept this assurance - that the poster's invitation was meant as a joke, made without thinking - and in any event I was able to delete the post within 60 minutes (notwithstanding that NN was not yet authorized by that faction so wouldn't be able to read it)

So as long as Voltaire and Archaic are vigilant, it would appear that this can be contained (and I think it's just a rookie mistake by NN, a new Apolyton member)

G.
Old June 3, 2003, 21:58   #12
Corellion
Prince

Does anybody know what has come of this issue? Not to doubt the Great Googlie God's assurances, but NN still has not posted anything, nor assured us that it was a mistake... and I worry what information he/she could provide to other factions, especially about our terraforming and SP information.
Old June 4, 2003, 00:50   #13
Googlie
Emperor

I have seen no evidence that NN has been in touch with either of the other 2 factions (of course I do not have access to e-mails or chat rooms) - and I have been assured by both Archaic and Voltaire that he is not nor will be authorized to visit their forums.

I will seek further reassurance from them that NN is not associated with their factions in any way

G.
Old June 4, 2003, 01:35   #14
Corellion
Prince

Thank you very much oh Great Googlie God.
Old June 5, 2003, 01:53   #15
Googlie
Emperor

I see that Nivoxz N has disappeared from your (and the Hive's) membership lists, but remains on the PUT's.

I am assuming that he voluntary withdrew from these two, perhaps preferring the University faction (or perhaps being a University "creation", if I still let myself be paranoid)

Question for Drogue ....

If he wished to re-enter the CC private forums could he do so, based on the original authorization, or does he need to be freshly authorized? (the former, I suspect, based on my own flipping between DL's)

And if so, and if he is a bona fide PUT member (there are a lot of if's there) then this could be worrisome for the future.

Perhaps DanQ or Ming can be requested to permanently ban NN from the CC forums now that he has gone
G.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:05   #16
Drogue
staff

According to the moderator page, NN is no longer authorised and would need to apply again to join our forum. If you leave a faction, I think that is what happens.

Old June 5, 2003, 10:15   #17
Googlie
Emperor

Hmm - that's good news if so. I'll test it with Rynn: (I thought in the past I'd left then returned, but maybe I just logged off the 'Poly page then logged back in, with the membership always active)

So you might see another request for Rynn: to join - let's see what happens

G.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:23   #18
Googlie
Emperor

Yes - you are right - Rynn: status is now "awaiting authorization"

So the problem with NN seems to be over - he is awaiting authorization for the PUT only (having left the CC and the Hive)

G.
Old June 5, 2003, 11:27   #19
Drogue
staff

Have let Rynn back in. Seems to have worked

Old October 13, 2003, 18:59   #20
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:38.
Old October 13, 2003, 19:01   #21
Corellion
Prince

I would agree that it's unsavoury pact brother behaviour... but then again, we're no longer pact brothers (or siblings, now that their leader is female).
Old October 13, 2003, 19:07   #22
Drogue
staff

I think the two are seperate. There is no rule for not accepting a pre-accepted offer. Indeed, if they did not want us to take it, they should not have pre-accepted it. Cancelling the Pact is a seperate thing. Whether or not we cancelled it, the other is the problem. The game is set up in a way, if they wish to restict themselves to rules that were not agreed upon, that is up to them. We simply accepted a pre-accepted offer. Both factions accepted that offer. Even if in normal PBEM rules it is considered cheating, how would we know that. It was not agreed before the start, and non of us are regular PBEMers.

Old October 13, 2003, 22:03   #23
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:38.
Old October 13, 2003, 23:26   #24
Corellion
Prince

WHAT!?!? THEY THINK WE SHOULD BE EXPELLED FROM THE GAME!?

My GOD they must be mad!!!

Put this poll out there just to illustrate the insanity of their request! But even if everybody agrees that we should be banned, we have done nothing wrong. We asked you ahead of time (but don't let them know this) is this would be legal, and you ruled yes. Had you ruled no, we would not have done it.

And when you put the poll out, include the option to gradually cede bases to...

- - CyCon (to annoy PEACE)

I do hope, however, that this poll will be for humour purposes only. As I mentioned before, we did nothing wrong, and even if we did, we were told by our glorious CMN that it was not wrong.
Old October 14, 2003, 00:08   #25
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:39.
Old October 14, 2003, 00:17   #26
Corellion
Prince

Iiiiinteresting.
Old October 14, 2003, 00:29   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

HOW DARE THOSE PIGS INSULT MY FATHER!!!

CyCon, tomorrow when I get access to my computer I shall issue a Writ of Execution, permitting (and asking) you to carry out your war effort in GooglieGods and my name!

How dare they do this
Old October 14, 2003, 00:36   #28
Googlie
Emperor

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003 at 12:40.
Old October 14, 2003, 01:24   #29
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

There was once a nation called Mymom. There was another nation called the My-irates. They liked each other quite a bit, so they decided to be really good friends.
They both liked to draw and trade games with lots of information. Well, Mymom got a lot of games from the My-irates, and promised to give them a lot of games in return, later.
Well, the My-irates didn't like this (even though they agreed to it), so they would always try to make Mymom give them more. They would try to make Mymom give them lots of money and games. Mymom began to feel like they weren't friends anymore.
Soon, mymom found out that the Mi-irates were lying to them! They felt the friendship falling apart all around them.
Well, the Mymom decided not to be friends anymore, cause the My-irates weren't acting like friends at all. Well, the My-irates got really angry. They even lashed out at God, and wanted God to kill the Mymoms!!!! Then they went all around the international community spreading lies! Well, the Mymoms were being silenced cause of their religion (Yeah! Thats it!), but they really wanted to tell the international community the truth.
This is not the end.

--A submission for 3D, by anonymous
Old October 14, 2003, 06:00   #30
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

i like the submission but i wouldnt put in
Quote:
Then they went all around the international community spreading lies!
but something a little nicer ...and please dont post that poll until PEACE has told everybody,...there is no need for everybody to know this....or no what....YES PLEASE post the poll i just changed my mind
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us