Old June 2, 2003, 12:10   #1
Rohag
Warlord

Local Time: 02:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Early RoN Build More Like Civ
It seems that at one point in its development RoN did more closely resemble Civ.

RoN Empire's TheVerbalAssassin had the privilege to attend the recent Rise of Nations Release Party in Baltimore. Among other things, he reports the following:

Quote:
At the evening party, there was a table with 8-10 pc's. They were all running a different build of RoN, from M3 to gold.

I noticed RG [Rick Goodman] and PS [Paul Stephanouk] standing in front of the M3 build, and strolled over. Paul was showing the feature differences in the old build.

There were many more zoom levels, one that popped so far back, it looked just like civ2. He explained that after a few days of playing, everybody had stuck with this zoom level, and it became the only way to play the game, because you had so much control, and you could see the whole map. It would've been pointless to make such high detailed graphics when the game would be played as tiny squares.

...Rick asked what stage this was, and Paul told him it was july of 2001.
Old June 2, 2003, 13:38   #2
GodSpawn
Prince

I WANT THE BIG ZOOM BACK!

Ahem. Sorry. But I do!
GodSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2003, 14:47   #3
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:52
Snoopy has a mod in the works that is along a similar line to what us civers are used to. You should check it out at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86731 .

Make sure to look at the screenshots he has put together so far, they will blow your mind.
Snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2003, 14:58   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 05:52
I dunno, Snoop's screens care the heck out of me... I can't understand what's going on at all .
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2003, 15:27   #5
Rohag
Warlord

Oh, yes! I'm aware of Sn00py's mod and am following it with keen interest. I love RoN's graphic detail, but I'll take all the zoom-out I can get!
Old June 2, 2003, 19:11   #6
Harpoon
Settler

Local Time: 18:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Last edited by Harpoon; June 2, 2003 at 19:18.
Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2003, 19:17   #7
Harpoon
Settler

Local Time: 18:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
im unfamiliar with these mods. Is it a client side thing? How does it work with multiplayer?
Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2003, 02:37   #8
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:52
Yes, these mods are client side. They usually involve changing settings in the .xml files in the RoN directory. I would suggest you go have a look for yourself as each line is writen in legible english in a 'Something=2' format so you can generally tell what each line can do. Be careful to keep backups incase you change something to make the game stop working. Many things can be changed in them, from tech time to pop limit. If this has sparked your interest have a look in the creation forum here on apolyton.

As for multiplayer, these mods can work for it but every player has to have the exact same copy of the files, otherwise it wont happen.
Snotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2003, 08:03   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:52
Quote:
Snoopy has a mod in the works that is along a similar line to what us civers are used to. You should check it out at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...&threadid=86731 .

Make sure to look at the screenshots he has put together so far, they will blow your mind.
Combining Snoopy's mod with full zoom should be fun
alva is offline   Reply With Quote