Old June 3, 2003, 02:15   #31
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 20:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
it was named after Bush Sr before Bush became Pres (I think)

Jon Miller
Old June 3, 2003, 02:15   #32
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:52
The USS Gore?
Old June 3, 2003, 02:29   #33
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The USS Ralph Nader
Old June 3, 2003, 03:52   #34
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:52
what about the USS Janet Reno?

Will a ship ever be named after a woman?

USS Hillary Clinton
Old June 3, 2003, 08:32   #35
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
Was this a ship that took part in Operation Iraqi Liberation?
Old June 3, 2003, 12:06   #36
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 22:52
Is there a USS Berkeley ?
Old June 3, 2003, 14:26   #37
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

someone mentioned the Enterprise before. I served on that piece of.. I mean great warship.

It was a prototype reactor design. They had no idea what they are doing. They took a sub reactor design and made it slightly larger. A little bit over 100 Megawatts. Sub designs were less than 100 MW at the time. Then they put 8 of those in with 4 Steam Generators for each reactor. And we end up with 32 steam generators. I had to take care of all of those . And not all of them are the same. Some are stainless steel, and some are Inconnel.

It can be very difficult to run high power tests on a reactor plant when you have so many. It means you have to take some off the line. So when you have an electrical fault like we did we lost power to half the ship one time .

But anyways it was built around 1962 when the Star Trek series first began. It was supposed to represent the best of U.S. technology. Hence why they used the name as the flag starship for the federation. In a way it is anti-communist. Even though they had a russian on the show, he was basically an americanized russian.
Old June 3, 2003, 18:29   #38
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
it was named after Bush Sr before Bush became Pres (I think)

Jon Miller
Nope. They named it in January.

Up until then they were kicking around America and Independance as possible names.

Then Dubya names it after Daddy.
Old June 3, 2003, 19:12   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yuk

Bush Sr. was such a weak president.

America was just decomissioned in 1996 I believe. I saw it when it pulled in from its last cruise. A non-nuke that looked like **** . Ok they all look like **** after pulling in from a 6 month cruise.

I am curious when they decomission the Enterprise though. When I was on it, that seemed so far off. The new reactor core was supposed to last 20 years. That's how much better they are at designing those things. It is the same shape and size of the original obviously (or it wouldn't fit), but they change the distribution of uranium pellets along with the boron pellets along with other materials and physics to lenghten the life of the core. The original core last only like 5 years I was told.

So I went on the big E in 1993. We didn't do a cruise until 1996, so we didn't have to many full power hours on it. I think it is set to decomission around 2113 or 2115 though.

what I'm really curious is how they dispose of all the nuclear material. I think part of the reason they did a massive overhaul of the ship, was because they had no idea what to do with all the nuclear waste. Hell we even contaminated #3 Reactor Axiliary room. The shipyard just painted over some the contamination and put signs up warning not to chip the paint off. I think they deemed it too costly to fully decontaminate. Then you have essentually the entire reactor compartment and some piping systems in the reactor auxiliary room to dispose of. Multiply that by 8. there is also a small amount of RD piping that runs to the bottom of the ship (actually the exit pipes might be on the side near the bottom- I'm not sure. It is on the opposite side of the intakes for the evaporators which make potable water in addition to steam plant/reactor plant water)
Old June 4, 2003, 08:26   #40
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
Quote:
there is also a small amount of RD piping that runs to the bottom of the ship (actually the exit pipes might be on the side near the bottom- I'm not sure.
Wait, are you saying that carrier leaks radioactive fluid into the seas?
Old June 4, 2003, 09:14   #41
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
someone mentioned the Enterprise before. I served on that piece of.. I mean great warship.

It was a prototype reactor design. They had no idea what they are doing. They took a sub reactor design and made it slightly larger. A little bit over 100 Megawatts. Sub designs were less than 100 MW at the time. Then they put 8 of those in with 4 Steam Generators for each reactor. And we end up with 32 steam generators. I had to take care of all of those . And not all of them are the same. Some are stainless steel, and some are Inconnel.

It can be very difficult to run high power tests on a reactor plant when you have so many. It means you have to take some off the line. So when you have an electrical fault like we did we lost power to half the ship one time .

But anyways it was built around 1962 when the Star Trek series first began. It was supposed to represent the best of U.S. technology. Hence why they used the name as the flag starship for the federation. In a way it is anti-communist. Even though they had a russian on the show, he was basically an americanized russian.
immediate actions for a chloride leak. Go!
Old June 4, 2003, 09:16   #42
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
We need to farm out naming ships to the Brits. You guys come up with some bad ass names for ships.
This is a VAST topic and I can only scratch the surface in this post - essentially RN ship names are "handed down" from one generation to the next, with one or two exceptions. The reason is the successful ones are kept, and the unsuccessful ones have been weeded out. Odd but true.

The exceptions being, for example, Victory (still officially an RN ship, even with sails!!!) and the Warrior, being slowly renovated.

No RN ship has been named after a reptile since the 1850s???? as it has been found to be an ill omened option - they have a distressing tendency to be lost at sea.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 4, 2003, 15:55   #43
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

This is a VAST topic and I can only scratch the surface in this post - essentially RN ship names are "handed down" from one generation to the next, with one or two exceptions. The reason is the successful ones are kept, and the unsuccessful ones have been weeded out. Odd but true.

The exceptions being, for example, Victory (still officially an RN ship, even with sails!!!) and the Warrior, being slowly renovated.

No RN ship has been named after a reptile since the 1850s???? as it has been found to be an ill omened option - they have a distressing tendency to be lost at sea.
Yeah, but you guys still have Vanguard, Ark Royal, Swiftsure, whereas we have Carl Vinson, John C. Stennis, and George Herbert Walker Bush.

As an aside, the Bunker Hill's motto is "Sword of the Fleet". The Valley Forge's (across the pier from mine) is "This ship was built to fight."

Well, Jesus I hope so.
Old June 4, 2003, 16:03   #44
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
Lornestar, you're missing the point.

Basically we grabbed all the good names first. In fact, we grabbed all the names and gave up 90% because they weren't very good (or the crew mutinied, the ships cat was rabid, the captain was a rampant homo or whatever disaster overtook that ship).

However, as the RN gets smaller and smaller, those good names will be up for grabs. At the present rate, by 2150, the RN will consist of the Victory, Warrior, and a coracle for training purposes.

So just be patient and you can have those names.

EDIT: I bet the nickname for the new ship is Economy

Ignorant peasant: "What ship is that?"

Annoyed USN passerby: "It's the Economy, stupid".

I'm assuming USN ships have nicknames, RN ones certainly do (HMS Invisible, HMS Herpes, to name 2)
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Last edited by Cruddy; June 4, 2003 at 16:11.
Old June 6, 2003, 02:31   #45
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
Quote:
there is also a small amount of RD piping that runs to the bottom of the ship (actually the exit pipes might be on the side near the bottom- I'm not sure.
Wait, are you saying that carrier leaks radioactive fluid into the seas?
I cannot comment on that
Old June 7, 2003, 14:53   #46
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy

Ignorant peasant: "What ship is that?"

Annoyed USN passerby: "It's the Economy, stupid".

I'm assuming USN ships have nicknames, RN ones certainly do (HMS Invisible, HMS Herpes, to name 2)
Sure. The Kitty hawk is known throught the fleet as the Sh!tty Kitty.