Local Date: November 1, 2010
Guests can go slumming at NEW `theme park'
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ionworld%2Dhed

Guests can go slumming at Habitat `theme park'
Georgia site shows poverty housing

By Broward Liston
Reuters
Published June 2, 2003

Habitat for Humanity, the non-profit group that builds low-cost housing, is opening an unorthodox "theme park" at its world headquarters this week designed to give tourists a look at the world's worst slums.

Millard Fuller, founder of the organization, said he expects the Global Village & Discovery Center to attract as many as 70,000 tourists in its first year of operation.

"Essentially, it's a theme park for poverty housing," Fuller said. "You'll come out of the center and walk right into a slum. You'll see the kind of pitiful living conditions so many people in the world have."

The 6.5-acre village is adjacent to Habitat for Humanity's international headquarters in Americus, Ga., which has no tourist facilities but attracts about 12,000 visitors a year.

After touring mock slums from Africa, Asia and Central America, visitors to the Global Village will see examples of the modest homes Habitat builds in those regions.

"You see what a steep improvement acceptable housing makes in someone's life. We think we'll recruit a lot of volunteers this way," Fuller said.

Visitors can imagine children sleeping in shacks infested with scorpions or snakes. With no roller coasters or Ferris wheels, the thrills come from trying your hand at brickmaking and tile laying, and, Fuller hopes, discovering how one person can make a difference.

Habitat is perhaps best-known for its work in the United States, but it sends about 400 teams of volunteers overseas each year to build new homes.

The Global Village is near another unlikely tourist attraction in rural Georgia, a Sunday morning Bible study class taught by former President Jimmy Carter in neighboring Plains.

As many as 20,000 tourists a year show up at tiny Maranatha Baptist Church, where Fuller is a member.

Carter, who leads a weeklong home-building project for Habitat every year, will be on hand for the grand opening of the Global Village on Saturday.

**** Kuegeman, Global Village executive director, said capturing some of the tourists who visit Carter sites is part of the strategy.

Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller. The organization's profile was raised dramatically in 1984 when Carter led a work group to New York to renovate a six-story building for 19 needy families.

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

I WONDER WHAT THEY"RE GOING TO CHARGE FOR ADMISSION?

Would you go to this type of theme park, or is destined to end up like EURO-DISNEY.
Old June 2, 2003, 17:43   #2
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:52
I wonder how they replicate the smell?
Old June 2, 2003, 18:11   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I can't say this appeals to me.
Old June 2, 2003, 18:16   #4
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 02:52
Don't waste your money, you guys can come slumming at my place.
Old June 2, 2003, 18:30   #5
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 18:52
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
I wonder how they replicate the smell?
It's Georgia, not the civilized part of the south. Have they discovered indoor plumbing yet?
Old June 2, 2003, 18:45   #6
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
mtg, georgia is civilized.

at least atlanta is.

and compared to fla panhandle, alabama, western nc, most of sc, kentucky, arkansas, southern missouri, mississipi, louisiana, and much of texas, it's far better.
Old June 2, 2003, 19:29   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:52
"Mommy, are we going to Disneyworld for vacation?"

"No kids, we're going to WORLD OF POVERTY instead!"

"Awwwww"
Old June 2, 2003, 21:42   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:52
Old June 3, 2003, 03:35   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 19:52
So I take it these aren't real slums.

grow some balls and see the real bad neighborhoods. I've been to the worst neighborhoods of almost every city except for New York (never been there), and area such as Compton and South Central LA.
Old June 3, 2003, 04:43   #10
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 02:52
Re: Guests can go slumming at NEW `theme park'
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

I WONDER WHAT THEY"RE GOING TO CHARGE FOR ADMISSION?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This sounds about as exciting and successful a tourist attraction as Flint MI's auto world stadium featured in Roger & Me. "Learn why the Robot is YOUR friend"? Now thanks to habitat - we can learn how the crackhouse can become our friend, with a hammer, a few nails and a whole lotta love