Old June 2, 2003, 21:57   #1
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Jacob Sullum v Bill O'Reilly on Drugs
I got this from Jacob Sullum via email beginning with Sullum's commentary to me:

Here's a transcript. As you can see, the exchange (if it can be called that) was not very substantive, but it did generate interest in my book. My favorite part was when O'Reilly warned me to stay away from his family.

__________________________________________________ __
Jacob Sullum
Senior Editor, Reason
Columnist, Creators Syndicate
jsullum@reason.com
www.reason.com

>Fox News Network

>SHOW: THE O'REILLY FACTOR (20:48)

>May 28, 2003 Wednesday

>Transcript # 052806cb.256

>SECTION: News; Domestic

>HEADLINE: Back of the Book

>Interview With Author Jacob Sullum, "Most Ridiculous Item of the Day,"

>GUESTS: Jacob Sullum

>BYLINE: Bill O'Reilly

>BODY:

>O'REILLY: In the "Back of the Book" Segment tonight, a new book entitled "Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use." Joining us now from Washington is the book's author and the senior editor at "Reason" magazine Jacob Sullum.

>Well, you know that I think you're crazy on this, but I -- I do want to hear your point of view. But I want, you know, you to just straight up address this, that you don't feel it's inherently wrong for people to use chemicals to alter one's mood or mind?

JACOB SULLUM, "REASON" MAGAZINE: That's right. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that. It all depends upon how you do it, just as with alcohol. We judge people's behavior by its consequences by whether they do it moderately or to excess, by whether they do it responsibly or not, we should also judge other kinds of drug use that way.

>O'REILLY: All right.

>SULLUM: And, in fact, just as with alcohol, the vast majority of people who use illegal drugs are not addicts, are not heavy users, and they're not posing any kind threat to other people, nor...

>O'REILLY: Well, that's fine.

>SULLUM: ... nor are they harming themselves.

>O'REILLY: That's -- well, that's your opinion. I don't know if that's true or not.

>SULLUM: It's not just opinion. This is based upon data that's available from the federal government. If you look at patterns of use, you will see...

>O'REILLY: Well, you can spin any -- you can spin data any way you want.

>SULLUM: No, this is quite plain.

>O'REILLY: We got -- hey, Mr. Sullum, this is a discussion, all right. You let me get my points in. I'll let you get yours in, all right. Let's get that straight up. Now you've have 27-million alcoholics in this country, all right. You've got 10-million people who are drug dependent, either illegally or on prescriptions. That's 37-million Americans that have trouble in their lives because of chemical dependence. Now why would you, an intelligent guy, want to put forth a theory that intoxicating oneself is beneficial? Why would you want to do that with the enormous social problems that we have in this country?

>SULLUM: Well, I think that the desire to alter your consciousness is a basic part of human nature. It's a basic drive...

>O'REILLY: Not mine.

>SULLUM: ... just like the drive for food, the drive for sex. Now both of those things can lead to problems, can lead to excess, but we don't, therefore, say we should never eat, we should never have sex. What we do...

>O'REILLY: I've never heard anybody say that altering...

>SULLUM: ... is we try to...

>O'REILLY: ... one's consciousness is a natural drive. I mean we..

>SULLUM: Really?

>O'REILLY: ... have thirst, we have hunger, we have sexual...

>SULLUM: You need to do a little more reading then because Ronald Segal published a very widely read book on intoxication several years ago.

>O'REILLY: And he's...

>SULLUM: He's a psychopharmacologist...

>O'REILLY: And he's the...

>SULLUM: ... at UCLA. This is a point that has...

>O'REILLY: All right. You can believe that. It's not -- it's not widely accepted by biologists that intoxicating oneself is a natural drive.

>SULLUM: If you look across cultures...

>O'REILLY: I'll put that right on the record.

>SULLUM: ... you will find consistently that people find ways throughout history and across cultures to alter their consciousness.

>O'REILLY: Yes, they find ways, but it's bad for them.

>SULLUM: No, it's not always -- it doesn't always involve drugs. Well, I would argue that in moderation is not bad for them. It's good for them. It's good to have...

>O'REILLY: But why do you want to push this? See, look, we've got a tremendous problem with children and substance. Tremendous. Why do you want to push this?

>SULLUM: I -- I want -- I'll tell you.

>O'REILLY: Why not say, look, if you have to do it, do it privately. If you have to. But why encourage it? I think that's so irresponsible.

>SULLUM: Because -- I'll tell you why. The war on drugs imposes tremendous costs on all of us, but people are reluctant to consider alternatives to it because they're afraid that if we allow...

>O'REILLY: And the alternative is do your own thing.

>SULLUM: Excuse me. If we allow...

>O'REILLY: Intoxicate yourself if...

>SULLUM: If we allow drugs to be legal, then everybody will be addicted, everyone will be criminals, and everyone will create problems, and, in fact, what I'm trying to show is that that's not the case, that it's a small minority of users who end up creating serious problems for themselves and others, and...

>O'REILLY: Thirty-seven-million Americans is not a small minority.

>SULLUM: ... that this is a problem...

>O'REILLY: Thirty-seven million.

>SULLUM: You're counting alcohol as well.

>O'REILLY: Thirty-seven -- look, 37-million Americans have trouble with substance. Their lives are out of control.

>SULLUM: This is...

>O'REILLY: It's not a small problem.

>SULLUM: OK. But you're including alcohol. The fact that alcohol can be abused does not mean that alcohol should be illegal.

>O'REILLY: It's all the same thing!

>SULLUM: The biggest...

>O'REILLY: You've got a million...

>SULLUM: The biggest component of what we're talking about...

>O'REILLY: ... drunken-driving cases every year. A million.

>SULLUM: The biggest component of what you're talking about involves legal drugs. My point is...

>O'REILLY: It doesn't matter whether it's legal or illegal.

>SULLUM: ... the fact that a drug can be abused -- well, it does matter.

>O'REILLY: Pinheads like you are encouraging intoxication...

>SULLUM: It matters...

>O'REILLY: ... when it's one of the worst things in our society.

>SULLUM: It matters if people are going to prison for doing something that doesn't violate anybody else's rights.

>O'REILLY: Hey, I don't care about that. I care about the dead...

>SULLUM: Well, you ought to care about that.

>O'REILLY: ... guy in the street being run down by a drunk driver, whether it's heroin or gin doesn't matter, and you are encouraging it.

>SULLUM: It matters whether you can draw a distinction between use and abuse, whether you can say that if you drive while intoxicated, that is unacceptable. But, if you do it at home in moderation, you may do that, and we're not going to bother you, we're not going to arrest you, we're not going to put you in prison.

>O'REILLY: Look, you irresponsible libertines cause so much damage to this society, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. I'll give you the last word.

>SULLUM: Well, my message is not a message of libertinism. It's a message of responsibility, and I'm saying we should apply responsibility across the board, regardless of the current legal status of the substance and that...

>O'REILLY: Let me break this to you gently, all right.

>SULLUM: ... temperance is better than abstinence as...

>O'REILLY: Getting intoxicated is not responsible. Let me break this to you. Getting intoxicated is not responsible.

>SULLUM: So you don't drink.

>O'REILLY: Correct.

>SULLUM: You don't drink coffee. You never drink alcohol. You don't smoke cigarettes.

>O'REILLY: Oh, stop it. I'm not even going to get into it. I'm not a hypocrite. Mr. Sullum, you're not either. You want to get stoned, have a good time. Don't get in a car, and don't come near my family.

>--END--
Old June 2, 2003, 22:30   #2
Q Classic
Emperor

o'reilly's a *ick. he can be funny sometimes, but usually his aggressive style is irritating and turns me off to him. his interviews often aren't...

besides, i'm enjoying right now how neal boortz is nailing this guy. that's quality entertainment.
Old June 2, 2003, 22:39   #3
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
REEFER MADNESS!
Albert Speer
Old June 2, 2003, 22:59   #4
Sikander
King

Local Time: 19:53
They both had some sem-reasonable points until O'Reilly got up a head of steam. Is he drunk?
Old June 2, 2003, 23:43   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This O'Reilly guy looks like an utter ******* to me. Maybe because I think that in a political talk-show, you allow your guests to express their views in more than one-second sentences
Old June 2, 2003, 23:54   #6
Giant_Squid
Emperor

Quote:
>O'REILLY: We got -- hey, Mr. Sullum, this is a discussion, all right. You let me get my points in. I'll let you get yours in, all right.
What a hypocrite.
And just generally, what a jerk. Insults, deliberate interruptions, and a refusal to debate rationally. It's amazing that people like this guy.
Kudos to the drug guy for putting up with it a whole lot better than I would've done.
Old June 3, 2003, 01:08   #7
Berzerker
Emperor

O'Reilly's favorite "rebuttals" to data are "that's your opinion" and "that's spin". It was funny when Sullum asked O'Reilly if he drank coffee or smoked tobacco and O'Reilly said he wasn't a hypocrite. Huh? Why are certain methods of altering one's mind "natural", i.e., okay with Bill, while others aren't? He calls pot smokers "weak" and supports this accusation by pointing out that they are using mind altering drugs, i.e., mind altering is "weak". Talk about people into mind control, O'Reilly wants people punished for not having the state of mind he requires of them?

Sikander, I'm not sure what good points O'Reilly offered. When he runs off on rants about the number of drug users in rehab, he never explains that the courts try to divert users away from taking up even more jail space by offering them "rehab". If alcohol users were coerced into rehab, the numbers of "alcoholics" needing rehab would skyrocket. To which I will quote Bill, himself, "Well, you can spin any -- you can spin data any way you want." And then Bill likes to mix up groups of drug users, 37 million Americans with a chemical dependency, 27 million with alcohol and another 10 million with illegal drugs AND legal prescriptions.
Old June 3, 2003, 01:28   #8
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Worst bebating I have seen in a LONG time. We should get this guy and Fred Phelps in a room together and watch the idiocy fly.

Berz, why do you watch this show when it is so obvious O Reilly is a moron? Enjoy watching him get humiliated?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old June 3, 2003, 01:53   #9
Berzerker
Emperor

Actually, I didn't see it. I sent Sullum an email requesting a transcript. But I would have watched it if I knew Sullum was on. I enjoy "altering" my mind by watching some of these talking head shows. Scarborough is pathetic, he doesn't even pay much attention to his guests, so it's quite sad/amusing to see why Congress is so messed up. I like Chris Mathews, he's a tough, but rude, albeit pretty consistently rude interviewer. O'Reilly's in between, at least he tries to debate. And I like his scrutiny on Jesse Jackson...
Old June 3, 2003, 02:40   #10
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Wow, reading that transcript was like reading the one in the Rev. Fred Phelps (sp?) thread a few days ago, with Bill dancing around with pithy words...just like good 'ole Freddie Boy.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old June 3, 2003, 03:56   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I guess I'm the only one who likes Bill O' Reilly . Although I disagree with his views on drugs.

You should listen to his show. He is pushing officials to open up stuff to the public. The feds are out of control the last 10 years. They don't tell the public anything. There is no public accountability anymore. He is starting to hammer the Feds to the Jessica Lynch cover up and the lack of weapons of mass distruction. And he is still trying to figure out where the investigation is going for the guy that Clinton pardoned. It has been quite a while since Clinton left office and the feds have told the public nothing.
Old June 3, 2003, 04:00   #12
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 03:53
"Bill O'Reilly on Drugs"

I don't want any of what he's smoking.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old June 3, 2003, 07:19   #13
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Damn, I'd hate to be the person at Fox who has to write transcripts for the O'Reilly show. What a garbled mess.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old June 3, 2003, 09:27   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

that was good...
I'm proud of everyone on Poly... and this crosses all political boundaries. We realize O'Reilly is a moron. But sadly, there are probably millions out there that don't.
Old June 3, 2003, 11:56   #15
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:53
Quote:
Now you've have 27-million alcoholics in this country, all right.
Really? If so, then .... damn that's a lot of people!
Old June 3, 2003, 11:59   #16
Berzerker
Emperor

Yes, 10% of the population? Seems quite "high".
Old June 3, 2003, 13:38   #17
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

****ing O'Reilly. I think it's part of his schtick to be the guy you love to hate.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 3, 2003, 13:39   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
The following is a genuine transcript from The O'Reilly Factor. Really, it is.
O'REILLY: Getting intoxicated is not responsible. Let me break this to you. Getting intoxicated is not responsible.
SULLUM: So you don't drink? You don't drink coffee? You never drink alcohol? You don't smoke cigarettes?
O'REILLY: I'm not a hypocrite. You provide no proof ... YOU PROVIDE NOTHING ... and yet you want everyone to get off their tits on crack? You criminal.

Remarkable simliarities in debating style...

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 3, 2003, 13:40   #19
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
We realize O'Reilly is a moron.
Finally something both Sava and I can agree upon.
Old June 3, 2003, 13:43   #20
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
You provide no proof ... YOU PROVIDE NOTHING
Fez?!

obiwan:
Old June 3, 2003, 13:44   #21
VJ
King

Quote:
You provide no proof ... YOU PROVIDE NOTHING ... and yet you want everyone to get off their tits on crack? You criminal.
Quote:
You provide no proof ... YOU PROVIDE NOTHING ... and yet, you want to destroy capitalism... You criminal...

EDIT: Dammit, Sava was a minute faster than I were.
Old June 3, 2003, 14:11   #22
Defiant
King

Berzerker,
Look, for the most part, I think O'Reilly is one of the better talking heads, especially when he hammered NASCAR about Jesse Jackson.
But he has a point here, think of the concept, "mind altering drugs". That concept in itself takes away your ability to not abuse them, especially something as lethal as crack or heroine. Be honest here if, you are in a car with somebody who has just, "altered their mind" would you ride along on a trip of 100 miles? When you use these drugs, alcohol included it is at the expense of self-control. I drink beer and in many cases more than I should have and in alot of cases I never felt I lost control until I tripped on something that I shouldn't have or do something else stupid. Trying to make even more dangerous drugs legal is as dumb as it gets.

O'Reilly has had problems since I have watched him with facts, remembering when he told the Ambassador from Saudi that why doesn't he stop all the terrorist teaching schools in Saudi and the Ambassador politely said, name one. O'reilly didn't have any facts to back up his claim and on national television that is deadly to your creditability. But since then I have seen him back up his claims with data, but I personally did not see this episode.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old June 3, 2003, 14:19   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Defiant, I don't think you'll be able to play the self-control card when it comes to drugs. Enough people can't control themselves while sober.
Old June 3, 2003, 14:26   #24
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Sava:

I actually agree with some of O'Reilly's arguments on this point. Where we agree is in the analysis of his debating style.

Besides, did you see the votes for I'm with stupid?

Apparently we would both go down with the sinking ship.
Old June 3, 2003, 14:38   #25
Defiant
King

Sava,
That is true enough but why make it dangerously larger problem, just imagine those same guys who have no self control taking hard drugs, chances are they will kill themselves or worst yet take somebody with them.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old June 3, 2003, 14:49   #26
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 23:53
Try to avoid insulting me when discussing other people, Sava. I am not up for this right now because I got a killer of a headache.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:41   #27
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 20:53
This guy's like all the *******s I've tried to discuss with rolled into one gigantic flaming moron. Pretty funny to read though if you forget that apparently enough people like him to keep him on TV.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:57   #28
mindseye
King

Local Time: 10:53
I've never seen O'Reilly, and after reading this ... never want to.