Old June 3, 2003, 05:53   #1
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A quick question
I don't know what kept me from the demo game scene.

Anyways, it is possible for me to join the current game midstream or do I wait till game #3?

Thank ye
Old June 3, 2003, 06:19   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
hi ,

why would it not be possible , ....

welcome aboard

have a nice day
Old June 3, 2003, 07:23   #3
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
dexters - does Viking blood not run in your veins? Do you not worship Odin and Thor? Do you not long for warfare and pillage?

Then you, my friend, are most welcome on this team!!!
Old June 3, 2003, 08:45   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:54
dexters - great to have you aboard!

You may notice that things are a little quiet in the forums at the moment (all of them, in fact). This is of course because of the Nth Hemisphere's summer holidays (no idea if it's just the US or Canada, Europe as well). Things will pick up again whenever they end, but until then be prepared to have quite a strong say on our game.

I will go now and add your name to the illustrious list of members for the team, in a topped thread labelled Sign-up thread: Civ3 Democracy Game Number Deux

Any questions on our past or organisation? Have a look around the threads, especially those that are topped - they will give you at least a decent idea of what's happening.

Any specific question, just ask away!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 3, 2003, 10:25   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 23:54
Welcome aboard, dexters.
Old June 3, 2003, 10:49   #6
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:54
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
You may notice that things are a little quiet in the forums at the moment (all of them, in fact). This is of course because of the Nth Hemisphere's summer holidays (no idea if it's just the US or Canada, Europe as well).
Summer holidays? It ain't even summer yet!!

/me mumbles something about lazy Americans...
Old June 3, 2003, 10:50   #7
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
Would I be able to join as well?
Old June 3, 2003, 10:51   #8
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

You would have to be checked for Nuclear Radiation, of course.
Old June 3, 2003, 10:53   #9
Tassadar500
Emperor

You should be checked for fur balls :P
Old June 3, 2003, 10:55   #10
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

I have been.
Old June 3, 2003, 10:58   #11
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 20:54
"Summer hollidays" is currently finals and people getting out of school and heading back home/getting awful drunk at graduation.

Welcome newcomers! Of course ALL are welcome to join in. Sit back and have some fun, but watch out for MrWIA, we're all a bit concerned about him...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrwia.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	46844  

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 3, 2003, 11:06   #12
Tassadar500
Emperor

Is there any chance for a new comer to get a minister position?
Old June 3, 2003, 11:10   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

The elections just ended, so next month when the nomination thread goes up, sign up for one and you have a good shot.

To improve that chance, though, stay active in the mean time, make suggestions, talk to the current ministers, perhaps one needs an assistant, perhaps even write for the *shameless plug* Valhalla Herald */shameless plug*

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 3, 2003, 11:12   #14
Tassadar500
Emperor

That might be a good idea. If anyone has the chance could you tell me about when each minister does?
Old June 3, 2003, 11:18   #15
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

The President and Vice President play the game and are in charge of making turnchats guiding the research and adjusting the sliders, but they follow the directions of the ministers for everything else.

Minister of Foreign Affairs handles all trades, deals, and declaring peace, war, and RoP/Alliance etc.

Domestic Minister is in charge of the homeland, producing units, moving workers, settling new cities, etc.

The Supreme Military Commander...well, kills things.

Each can assign assistants and such as they see fit, and all are responsible for polling the public for the major decisions as pertained to their position. Great Leaders and Declaring war and a few other things need approval by the public at large.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 3, 2003, 11:23   #16
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Hi there NukeMaster! You've been in the chatrooms a few times, IIRC. Consider yourself joined.

As for what each Minister does:

President is the one who plays the game on behalf of the whole group, according to the orders that are posted by the Ministers. This requires you to hold turnchats (meaning you are just online in a chatroom at the same time as you are playing), and that you post a report of what happened along with any screenshots from the game, and the savegame where you finish play. You are the head of the Government, so you are responsible for the game as a whole, and for promoting and continuing discussion about the game.

Vice President the right-hand person for the Prez, does what the Prez can't or hasn't the time to do. Usually plays the game the same way as the Prez every now and again. Is responsible for putting up election polls at the right time (end of the month).

Foreign Affairs Minister Gives orders to the Prez on what to do in terms of trading with the AI/war/peace/ROPs/everything to do with the negotiations screen. Should keep everyone aware of the attitudes/states of the various other civs too.

Supreme Military Commander Gives orders to all military or scout units and to the Leaders (but not on how to use the Leaders, only on where to move them to)

Domestic Minister Responsible for giving orders on city builds, what squares the city works, where settlers and workers go and what they do there. Quite a job, and VERY important.

The orders are not given arbitrarily, but are a reesult of discussion in the forum by all who want to contribute and, where necessary, via polls on what option(s) to choose.

Does that help a bit?

EDIT: Cross post! Gaah! That cartoon again.....
EDIT x2: At least the flag is appropriate right now - I'm still stuck in Oz.

Old June 3, 2003, 11:30   #17
Tassadar500
Emperor

Thank so much. Look forward for me running next term
Old June 3, 2003, 12:21   #18
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
EDIT: Cross post! Gaah! That cartoon again.....
EDIT x2: At least the flag is appropriate right now - I'm still stuck in Oz.
That cartoon is never going away, it's my wallpaper!

I almost editted in the right flag, but wanted to get Aro's permission first.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 3, 2003, 13:49   #19
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I love that cartoon. And welcome.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 3, 2003, 21:08   #20
dexters
King

Thank you for the warm welcome everybody.

I've downloaded the turn 8 save and is currently looking at it.

I few practical questions cropped up

1) I understand playing ahead is considered cheating... but can we move any of the units in the same turn?

2) Can you spend money on the treasury to conduct spy missions?

3) What check is there to prevent members from playing ahead? I would assume there would be a healthy community of people playing their own variants of the demo gamer quietly ?

4) I've read the FAQ but I'm still not too clear how lowly pleabians like myself would be participating in terms of say, decisions on where to settle if there are already good players in ministirial positions advising the president and vp

Thanks

Last edited by dexters; June 3, 2003 at 21:20.
Old June 3, 2003, 21:41   #21
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Thank you for the warm welcome everybody.

I've downloaded the turn 8 save and is currently looking at it.

I few practical questions cropped up

1) I understand playing ahead is considered cheating... but can we move any of the units in the same turn?

2) Can you spend money on the treasury to conduct spy missions?

3) What check is there to prevent members from playing ahead? I would assume there would be a healthy community of people playing their own variants of the demo gamer quietly ?

4) I've read the FAQ but I'm still not too clear how lowly pleabians like myself would be participating in terms of say, decisions on where to settle if there are already good players in ministirial positions advising the president and vp

Thanks
Welcome dexters, from an ex-Vancouverite!

1) Nope.

2) Nope. The FAM may check for diplomacy deals, but that is it.

3) The Honour system. I haven't heard of anyone playing the DG on their own, aside from after the first one completed and some wanted to try winning a different way.

4) The ministers should be posting their orders for coming chats ahead of time. Then everyone else is encouraged to dissect and comment on them. Also show up at the chats where you can participate in any on-the-fly polls that take place (there's always a couple), and watch for in-chat developments that could affect orders/decisions. It is hard for the ministers to watch everything during a chat, and a good number of things can slip by, only to be noticed by those assessing the final save after the chat is complete.

Lastly, if you're reading a thread and someone has already proposed something you were thinking, or has agreed with a prior point...don't just not comment. Agree as well, adding any supporting information you thought of that hasn't been raised. But let your voice be heard, even if you simply agree with someone. Good orders/decisions can't be made if we don't know what everyone thinks.
Old June 3, 2003, 21:50   #22
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The best way to join in is to come up with ideas, post them, and to comment on others ideas. Like dijon say's, if you agree, say so. If not, say so also (but please be polite and explain). Most positions are looking for assistants to help out, particularly FAM in the chats. Glad to have you.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 3, 2003, 22:00   #23
dexters
King

Thanks for the tips.
Old June 3, 2003, 23:03   #24
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I agree with all that has been said. In addition, I have to reaffirm that any citizen who turns up to the chats ends up having quite a big effect. Quite often unexpected things will come up, and the Prez/Minister may need to host a "quickpoll" on what to do with all those in the chat. This quickpoll will be based on ideas that those people in the chat come up with too. Even further, during the chat it is likely that you could be asked to help with contacting other civs and checking for deals with them.

In short, during the chats everyone can have a strong say on what happens in the game, and they can be quite fun too. They're not all shop, and you can even maybe get units etc named after you!