Old June 3, 2003, 06:59   #1
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Bursts of pollution....
Why is pollution always manifesting itself during bursts of two or three turns, to diminish then and disappearing for a couple of turns?

Why is pollution augmenting at the next turn, after starting a war, even when the war-time production is not active?
Old June 3, 2003, 07:07   #2
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 03:54
I have not noticed the second point.
Old June 3, 2003, 08:05   #3
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The answer to your first question is that it is the RNG.

(The same thing that gives the combat results people complain about )
Old June 3, 2003, 13:46   #4
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I'm not sure it's the RNG, but pollution accumulaiton.

There's the skull and crossbones thing at the bottom of each city and I have always assumed it grows over time, and when it fills up, a polluted tile is created.

If you complete factories in several core cities around the same time , it could then produce these bursts as the pollution pile up and are released at the same time.

perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed some light. This has always been my assumption.
Old June 3, 2003, 18:21   #5
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
I'm not sure it's the RNG, but pollution accumulaiton.

There's the skull and crossbones thing at the bottom of each city and I have always assumed it grows over time, and when it fills up, a polluted tile is created.

If you complete factories in several core cities around the same time , it could then produce these bursts as the pollution pile up and are released at the same time.

perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed some light. This has always been my assumption.
I have not looked at this precisely, but I supposed that the number of these yellow shields with skull were the probability to have a square polluted for the city, as it is in Civ2.
Old June 3, 2003, 22:50   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Nym

I have not looked at this precisely, but I supposed that the number of these yellow shields with skull were the probability to have a square polluted for the city, as it is in Civ2.
I think you are right, but like you I have never tested it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 3, 2003, 23:03   #7
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
yeah, the more pollution, the better your chances of getting it, but i dont think pollution can appear on a square where a unit is..
Old June 4, 2003, 06:01   #8
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
I have played several times without building factories and then same phenomenons are happening, but not with the same intensity.
Old June 4, 2003, 07:12   #9
mabellino
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
yeah, the more pollution, the better your chances of getting it, but i dont think pollution can appear on a square where a unit is..
I often get pollution appearing right underneath a worker... but I suppose that's just luck.

PTW 1.14f
Old June 4, 2003, 10:43   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The more yellow triangles, the higher the chance of pollution within the radius of that city.

If you build a mass transit in a city bigger than size 12 the number of triangles will reduce (there is no population pollution in cities size 12 or less). If you build a recycling plant there will be fewer triangles. Building an airport adds one triangle.

That is about all I know about pollution.

What I have noticed, but may be random, is that pollution tends to hit the same tiles repeatedly, particularly tiles with cows.
Old June 4, 2003, 17:24   #11
BulMaster
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

if the pollution hit the cow tile 3x time in a row you get a mad cow on your screen
Old June 4, 2003, 18:50   #12
bobbo008
Prince

"I often get pollution appearing right underneath a worker... but I suppose that's just luck."

"What I have noticed, but may be random, is that pollution tends to hit the same tiles repeatedly, particularly tiles with cows."

actually, in my game right now, i had three tiles have pollution, i cleaned all of those up, next turn, just those same three tiles got polluted (i knew cuz the workers were still there, obviously).

and you obviously get pollution where there are cows because cows are diesel powered, duh...
Old June 4, 2003, 22:41   #13
Paulypav
Warlord

It has been my experience that tiles that contribute highly to production tend to get hit with pollution more often than say your generic grassland tile that is producing only food and trade.

Indeed, the number of yellow triangles relates to the probability of getting pollution, however, your chances do not reduce back to zero each time there is pollution around your city.

Pollution is based primarily on population and production. Factories, Coal Plants, Airports contribute to pollution as does increased population, while recycling plants and mass transit systems reduce pollution. Hydro Plants, Solar Plants and Nuclear Plants increase production without increasing pollution.
Old June 4, 2003, 22:42   #14
Paulypav
Warlord

Actually I believe the pollution on the cows relates to all the methane they are producing to destroy the ozone layer.
Old June 5, 2003, 04:00   #15
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulypav
Actually I believe the pollution on the cows relates to all the methane they are producing to destroy the ozone layer.
As I always play on huge maps, I have a lot of non-active workers which I use to plant trees on non-city tiles. Have not registered so far an influence of lots of trees in relationship with less polution.

Somewhere there is a thread about it.
Old June 5, 2003, 04:03   #16
georges bonbon
Warlord

The second question, so far, remains unanswered, so has anybody seen the phenomenon of highly increased polution after declaring war without going to war-time production?
Old June 5, 2003, 07:03   #17
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
The second question, so far, remains unanswered, so has anybody seen the phenomenon of highly increased polution after declaring war without going to war-time production?
hi ,

yes , after the use of nukes , ....

have a nice day
Old June 5, 2003, 07:03   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon
hi ,

yes , after the use of nukes , ....

have a nice day
Old June 5, 2003, 13:24   #19
bobbo008
Prince

i believe after you build the mass transit system (population) and recycling center (improvements), you will probably have two yellow pollution icon thingies left. that's what i get anyways after i have factories and a population over 12.
Old June 6, 2003, 09:22   #20
jbode14
Settler

My experience with pollution bursts is the following.

Bursts of pollution seem to occur after completing a city improvement or military unit. Example: A few cities may each take 4 turns to build a tank. During those 4 turns there will be no pollution generated out of these 4 cities. However, upon completion of those tanks there seems to be bursts of pollution around those cities.

Civ Games Rule!!
Old June 6, 2003, 20:49   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbo008
i believe after you build the mass transit system (population) and recycling center (improvements), you will probably have two yellow pollution icon thingies left. that's what i get anyways after i have factories and a population over 12.
hi ,

that tends to be the rule , .....

but lets not forget gloabl warming and pollution , ....

afterall you are not the only one who pollutes the map , ..... most AI civs dont care about pollution , even when the techs are given , they only research those techs to get to fibers , .....

have a nice day
Old June 6, 2003, 22:05   #22
bobbo008
Prince

"afterall you are not the only one who pollutes the map , ..... most AI civs dont care about pollution , even when the techs are given , they only research those techs to get to fibers , ..... "

the AI doesn't seem to like cleaning up pollution, either. by the mid modern age, each AI civ will have about 5 polluted squares constantly, but i play on huge maps...