Old June 18, 2003, 23:55   #61
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thanks, I've been trying to figure out who is who over there and searching for their discussions in that forums but can't seem to find them. *shrug* This Comrade has been doing his duties even though I don't post that much so don't fret!

Investigating the other factions is pretty fun
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old June 19, 2003, 01:02   #62
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 12:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Good to see the secret police at work.
Old June 19, 2003, 01:14   #63
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 19:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Thanks, I've been trying to figure out who is who over there and searching for their discussions in that forums but can't seem to find them.
They have an "invitation only" Private Forum there too, so you wouldn't see it listed in the threads.

And Shadowlord3 goes by the same name here at 'Poly, but isn't a registered Drone here (I believe he now boycotts 'Poly 'cos of their We Kill Kittens banner ad of a year ago)

G.
Old June 19, 2003, 05:55   #64
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 20:54
Quote:
Thanks, I've been trying to figure out who is who over there and searching for their discussions in that forums but can't seem to find them. *shrug* This Comrade has been doing his duties even though I don't post that much so don't fret!

Investigating the other factions is pretty fun
Excellent work, Comrade. I feel more strongely than ever that we must secure an alliance with the CyCon when the opportunity presents itself. The Drones must be stopped.
Old June 19, 2003, 07:16   #65
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Yeah, I agree. Looking over their posts in the main thread has made me change my mind. MRT is definetely up to no good against the Hive. I'm betting that we have a fair shot at making at least peaceful relations with the CyCon...PEACE (Pirates) will probably be a close second. University....they seem semi-hostile so I'll bank that they aren't going to want to deal with us. Drone's are pretty much against us. And I can (almost) safely say that the computer is of little consequence.....unless they get too powerful.

At least on the surface, the CyCon are willing to deal with us (i.e. the polls, cartoons, debates) so they don't seem too bad. Drone's are overtly hostile so I'd say that we better start making plans for them. We should start launching a propaganda campaign to make us seem more "warm" and "friendly" to the other factions. Our past issues of PRAVDA have started to do this rather nicely.
Old June 20, 2003, 02:55   #66
Vev
King

I like the idea of showing that we are serious about having fun and trying to crush the others.
Old July 7, 2003, 03:22   #67
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

You know it's strange, but judging from the talk here it seems the university won't be our problem. The CyCon and Pirates will probably be at war with them from what I've seen on the forums. Rather the drones seem to have plans against us, and our police state will probably pit the data angels against us.

How would we go about defending against either the data angels or drones?

Does anyone disagree with the drones or data angels being our enemies?

I'm pretty sure the university won't bother us unless we declare war on the first. If they attack us I reckon some of the other factions will immediately jump in on our side. They probably know it too.

Would Miriman attack us?

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 7, 2003 at 21:41.
Old July 7, 2003, 04:11   #68
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

I've been looking closely at the map, and there looks to be a narrow channel to the west of our continent.
Quote:
(quote from googlie http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...90#post2008390)
I love continents separated by narrow channels (that can be terraformed bridged) or joined by narrow isthsmuses (that can be choke-point defended
There might be another faction on the other side. Or it could be a freeland mass though I doubt it. I think we should beeline for flexiability and start sea pod poping and finding other factions.

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 7, 2003 at 21:39.
Old July 7, 2003, 10:01   #69
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I agree that it seems unlikely that there will be a spare continents close to any of the human factions so one faction would get an advantage over others. Doesn't look like what GooglieGod would do.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 7, 2003, 14:42   #70
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Reading over the posts in this thread as well as the opinions stated in various other threads I believe we can formulate a foreign policy.

Most seem in agreements that the Drones have become actively hostile toward us. The University, though not having expressed publicly their disdain for our faction, may well be assumed to be hostile given their head of government (i.e. Archaic).

It seems agreed upon that an alliance with the CyCon would be a desirable goal, one which we should attempt to gain. But if not we can at least co-exist peacefully with them. As for the Pirates, not enough information seems available to formulate a final policy, though it may be safely said we do not desire too many enemies and hence we should attempt to make friends with them.

Lastly, the other factions will overlook our discretions against the Drones and University because they also see them as extreme threats; thus this means planet buster and nerve gas time.
Old July 7, 2003, 19:26   #71
Kody
Emperor

How should we go about approaching the contient to our west?

Why is Archanic hostile towards us in particular?

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 7, 2003 at 21:02.
Old July 7, 2003, 21:15   #72
Haon
ACDG The Human HiveMacAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 02:54
I am not sure but I believe it is a combination of Ancient history and being called "The Looniversity" which probably makes them suspect that we have hostile intentions twoards them, which is not 100% true...

I think the Pirates will try and get into a hegemonic position, from which they will dictate policy without having to choose any particular ally, so they can be in a "best of both worlds situation"

I suspect that Miriam has been placed in an area that will be very advantageous for her, and thus make her difficult to take out without a fight, without a doubt she will be at war with all factions, and we will have to make a choice, whether to take her on alone, or risk allying with enemy factions to secure victory.

Roze will be a tech menace and I fear that she will become good friends with CyCon or Uni, which would potentially damage our potential relationship with CyCon.
Old July 7, 2003, 22:06   #73
Kody
Emperor

What I really want to know is how to deal with the worst case scenerio.

What if we're penned in by the drones, the university and the data angels.
Suppose it's the data angels on the contient west. How will we defend against their probe teams. What if all the Cycon and priates are on the other side of the world or don't care for an alliance. Or if the faction to our west is Miriam and they raise terrian and start a war with us.

How would we go about with a war over that narrow channel without chance of getting reinforcements or techs from another faction.

Also it appears there's another smaller channel to the south of our contient. What if there's another faction there too?

Imagine the worst and prepare for it. Then everything else is a pleasant surprise.

In the best case (unoccupied contient), we should get flexiability and start sending colony pods over.

Kody
Old July 8, 2003, 00:42   #74
Frankychan
King

What I want to know is what the heck is going on in the general forum? Why have we declared our intention to try and side with the CyCon?

Old July 8, 2003, 10:27   #75
Kody
Emperor

Quote:
of course, 2135 is still just the early game, and as one would expect the Borgs and Uni were leading tech wise, with the Hive and Drones lagging somewhat - but with larger and better distributed populations. Pirates were strong in both areas, mainly 'cos of their ability to trade after they met the AI
The above quote from googlie.

Just reading the civilisation gaming network and some of the stuff on ACDG

Kody
Old July 8, 2003, 10:37   #76
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
What I want to know is what the heck is going on in the general forum? Why have we declared our intention to try and side with the CyCon?

Oh it's a long story. Basically all people have understood our policy differently. We determined to make friends with CyCon so when we meet them we have a basis to form aliance. But some people thought that means that we should say it out loud in the public forum. Sigh! Now the past is kind of hectic foreign relationship wise. We just have to try minimize any negative effects and learn from it and become wiser.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 10:57   #77
Vev
King

Now that people may guess we are pacted with the drones, I wonder how the Cycon will react now.
Old July 9, 2003, 11:52   #78
Snowflake
Princess

GooglieGod said that he would reveal the situation after 48 hours. So will he reveal that we've met the drones then?

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 9, 2003, 20:40   #79
Vev
King

I doubt he would reveal what happened. Now as for pact, that would be hard to guess. But others will definately notice our exchange in tech with great leaps in the powergraph.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:14   #80
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
GooglieGod said that he would reveal the situation after 48 hours.
No - I said that I would review the situation after 48 hours. Big difference.

Meaning that if the Drones are still engaged in internal discussions - or are waiting for Buster to re-appear - I would rule a further extension, as clearly any delay is not the Hive's fault. I would give no reason for such an extension.

Your position, of course, is that you don't want to pass on the turn without some kind of deal in place, else the Drone scout may just destroy your colony pod next turn (currently they are unaware of its existence, as the partial map Kody sent only showed their trannie and your coastal scout and then the 2 inland scouts head-to-head. (It also showed the flags of 2 other unindentifiable units - your 2 rovers - so they presumably know that you are surrounding their scout with some strength - or have a myriad of colony pods on the move). But clearly the initiative passes to them if you end the turn prematurely

Interestingly the few comments on the delay have centered around "needing time to wipe the forum clean of Tassadar's threads"

G.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:22   #81
Kody
Emperor

Actually the colony pod is currently out of range.

I've figured out how to stop them from gaining the rocky group.
Voltariograd city's defender can move and prevent them from moving.

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 10, 2003 at 10:17.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:47   #82
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

No - I said that I would review the situation after 48 hours. Big difference.

G.
Oh thank you GooglieGod, for the clearification. My misreading. Not sure where my head was at the time.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 15, 2003, 10:24   #83
Kody
Emperor

We really have to be more careful what we say to other factions in the public forums. Sometimes you're just teasing them, but they may not see it that way. So if in doubt don't say anything.

For example saying PEACE is deceptive may ruffle the pirates' feathers. I get the feeling that they're very concerned about how they appear to other factions. So people saying they're warlike publicly would be very bad for them. Most likely they will shrug it off, but there is the chance it could end up in a flame war, or a hidden grudge. If they say something bad about the hive, just nod and make it into a joke about ourselves. Don't reply back with a joke about them or something worse.

So far the two factions that went too far were the hive and the drones. It resulted in a mini flame war and a lot of our uncertainty stems from that flame war. The other three factions have actually been fairly polite. Even the university after all that abuse has been doing pretty well. Although they overstepped the bounds a bit with their treatment of Tassadar.

Actually HongHu, can you please edit that post.... I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 15, 2003 at 10:36.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:08   #84
Kody
Emperor

HongHu,

Please change that post for my peace of mind. The way that post was written made me annoyed and I'm not even a pirate. I have a feeling it may be taken the wrong way.

Kody
Old July 15, 2003, 11:32   #85
Snowflake
Princess

Ok I'll edit it. I thought it was quite a harmless little joke though. But I'll do it for you, dear Comrade.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 15, 2003, 11:33   #86
Kody
Emperor

Thanks,

I just had a really bad feeling about that comment. It's not so much the words. It's more the context. That comment also seems to change the meaning of Tassadar's and OctavianX's posts to be insults.

It looks like Herc is trying to make a joke out of it, but then that comment seems to shrug off what Herc says and reconfirms the other hive posts.

I'm just worried about the start of another problem like we're currently having with the free drones.

*heads off to bed now*

Kody

Last edited by Kody; July 15, 2003 at 11:40.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:58   #87
Vev
King

Have anyone thought about the condition where only 3 human players may participate in a victory. That can really impact on the pacting situation (pun could be intended)
Old July 16, 2003, 05:56   #88
Kody
Emperor

Quote:
The Drones will gladly accept you. While I would prefer you join the glorious Hive, our Comrades in the Drones are much better than the Looniversity Dogpigs.
Heh I wonder what the drones will think when they see that line.

Kody
Old July 16, 2003, 10:36   #89
Snowflake
Princess

Glad to see Comrade Tass is working on the diplomatic front. I suppose the captalist pigdogs will not be happy though. Maybe should tune down a little even for them.

Grapefruit Garden
Old July 16, 2003, 20:57   #90
Kody
Emperor

Just be careful to not give too much away. If you mention any more about the drones, then people might think we have met them.

Kody