Old June 3, 2003, 08:16   #1
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 21:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Young Jedi Followup.
After laughing along with everyone else, I saw this in the paper this morning and thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...isuretempo-hed

Embracing the inner geek
A 15-year-old 'Star Wars' fan's private light-saber battle hit the Internet. Some jeered, but others remembered their own air-guitar riffs.

By Maureen Ryan
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 3, 2003

In our celebrity-obsessed age, where even the dippiest reality TV contestants are celebrated on the covers of magazines, the "Star Wars kid" is a refreshing anomaly.

The star of a video that he never intended to make public, he has survived the kind of ridicule that would make the average celebrity head straight to rehab -- and he has emerged as a bona fide grass-roots hero to the Internet community.

Last fall, a Canadian 10th grader named Ghyslain (his last name has not been made public) did something a lot of "Star Wars" fans have done when they thought no one was looking: Using a household object instead of a light saber, Ghyslain spent a couple of minutes jumping around and doing his best Jedi knight imitation.

What made Ghyslain's antics different, however, is that his performance with a light saber (actually, it was a golf-ball retriever) took place with a camera rolling -- he used the video equipment at his school to record it, then forgot about the tape.

A couple of classmates at his Quebec high school eventually found the tape, and in April they posted it on Kazaa, a Web site that allows people to easily download music files and film clips.

Word of the "Star Wars kid" video spread quickly online, and by late May, the 15-year-old's knight moves had become an international Internet phenomenon, with millions of Web surfers viewing his routine on various sites.

Some folks went so far as to add real "Star Wars" sound effects to the 2-minute video, and someone even came up with a "Matrix"-inspired version. What's more, seemingly everyone around the world who saw the video felt the need to comment on Ghyslain's performance in various Web sites and forums.

Unfortunately, but predictably, many of the comments about the chubby teen were cruel. "The little-known Jedi, Luke Piestalker," snarked one user on Waxy.org, one of the first sites to post the video.

Jish Mukerji, a San Francisco resident who maintains a Web log, did the first interview with Ghyslain. Mukerji's friend, Andrew Baio of Waxy.org, was one of the first to showcase the "Star Wars kid" videos, and Baio was contacted by someone who had Ghyslain's phone number. Ghyslain is not fluent in English, so Baio asked Mukerji, a French speaker, to talk to Ghyslain about his sudden fame and to share what he learned.

The youth sounded guarded, Mukerji said in an interview with the Tribune, and given the nasty reaction some people had to Ghyslain's video, Mukerji says he understands why. "I had to delete a lot of [negative] comments from my site," he says.

He adds that he was especially surprised by the mean-spirited comments he saw on "Star Wars" Web sites: "When you think of `Star Wars' fans, you don't think of frat boys, you think of some guy who spends a lot of time in front of his computer. How could they make fun of [Ghyslain's] geekiness?"

"The other side of coin," he adds, "was that in the end, a lot of people did end up identifying with him."

Indeed, it wasn't long before Ghyslain became something of a mascot, a 15-year-old Everygeek who mirrored every private dance move, air-guitar riff or Jedi battle scene anyone has ever tried to copy.

"When I saw the first video . . . I laughed and cried, it was so funny and pathetic at the same time," one waxy user wrote, using the name IwuzThatKid. "Then I thought, oh yah [sic] that was me when I was that age."

Gish and Baio decided to start a fund drive in order to buy Ghyslain an Apple iPod, to compensate him for the mocking he had encountered and as a token of appreciation from fellow geeks everywhere.

They wanted to raise $400, but by May 21, the end of the fundraising drive, they had raised more than $4,300.

"The clips did make me laugh, partly because, well, it's funny, and partly because they reminded my about videos I made with friends and such when I was a teenager," said Roland Blais, who donated money toward the fund via Baio's Web site, waxy.org. "They were pretty funny, and often stupid; I'm glad Kazaa didn't exist back then. I also did feel a bit sorry for the guy, because I was an overweight teen. It's hard enough to get by, but even harder when you're that much more clumsy in your own skin."

More than 400 individuals and groups contributed to the Ghyslain fund, and non-cash gifts poured in too: a Darth Maul light-saber replica signed by "Star Wars" actor Ray Park; a T-shirt from Industrial Light and Magic, the firm that supplied the special effects for "Star Wars"; and also various software programs and games.

Baio was overwhelmed by the response. "The outpouring of support has been staggering, far beyond what I ever expected," he wrote on his site. "I wasn't sure we'd be able to raise enough for a 15 [gigabyte] iPod, but here we are."

Ghyslain, whose last name is being withheld from news stories and Internet articles in an attempt to protect his identity, has become a minor celebrity, especially in his native Canada, where several newspapers have written about his unsought brush with Internet fame. The New York Times even ran a short piece about the Internet campaign to buy him an iPod.

But his fame hasn't come without a price. In an e-mail to Amy Harmon of the New York Times, Ghyslain wrote: "People were laughing at me. And it was not funny at all." Ghyslain's family also recently retained a lawyer, who told Radio Canada that the family found the outpouring of attention both burdensome and intrusive and that he was examining their legal options.

Mukerji says the teen, whom he characterizes as a "a very intelligent young guy," has become difficult to contact (he did not respond to a Tribune request for an interview). "You can tell he's been questioned a lot about this and made fun of in real life, let alone online," Mukerji says.

"We're hoping the rewards we're able to supply," which, he adds, will include an electronics store gift certificate in addition to a 30 gigabyte iPod, "will make up for the teasing."

In the telephone interview with Mukerji, the teen seemed circumspect about his fame and the enhanced versions of his video. "From what I saw, they look very well-made," he told Mukerji. "It's surprising to see what people have done with a video that wasn't meant to be seen. It's interesting."

And how about all the money that Baio and Mukerji raised?

"I appreciate the fact that people went to the trouble of making the gesture," he said in an e-mail to Mary Vallis, a writer at Canada's National Post. "It touched me more than the amount of money itself."

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune
Old June 3, 2003, 09:21   #2
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The world is a cruel and beautiful place.
Old June 3, 2003, 10:01   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 22:54
That's what he gets for being humiliated? An I-pod? I'd be pissed too!
Old June 3, 2003, 10:07   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

He got alot more stuff than an Ipod.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 3, 2003, 10:28   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The "everygeek"

That poor bastard. I don't care what the compensation was, I'd want blood - preferably the blood of the kids who put the tape on the internet.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:09   #6
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Not blood, something equally embarassing.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:10   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. Funny
Old June 3, 2003, 12:15   #8
rah
lifer
Just another peon

It was posted here.

Hence the urge to do the followup.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:17   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

ah... I didn't see the original post here.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:23   #10
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Who are they going to sue? Sheit! I really hate it when people try and sue people when they do something stupid.

Quote:
he used the video equipment at his school to record it, then forgot about the tape.

A couple of classmates at his Quebec high school eventually found the tape, and in April they posted it on Kazaa, a Web site that allows people to easily download music files and film clips.
As I see he can sue:

a) his classmates, and by doing so make himself no longer the mockery of all the kids at school, but the little dork who goes around and sues anyone who makes fun of him

b) the school for giving him access to the equipment, yet the same results in his reputation will occur

c) Kazaa for distributing it, heck why not everyone else is, and pretty much for the same reason, he could be Sony Part 2

d) Himself for being such an idiot as to forgetting the tape.

As I see it his reputation is tarnished and by ponying up with legal aide he will not improve it. IMO he has only one option - Stand-up Comedy!
Old June 3, 2003, 14:02   #11
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Does it say somewhere that they want to sue?
Old June 3, 2003, 14:10   #12
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

This hints at it: "Ghyslain's family also recently retained a lawyer, who told Radio Canada that the family found the outpouring of attention both burdensome and intrusive and that he was examining their legal options."