Old June 4, 2003, 14:21   #1
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My unbelievable HATRED for Miriam
OK, I've never actually liked her very much, but today she has finally gone too far.

The scenario - I'm playing the Uni, almost as a OOC, on a small island with 3 bases on it. The whole island is crawlered, boreholed and forested and University Base has got all the good special projects except Empath Guild all the way up to Space Elevator. The difficulty is Transcend. Strangely I've been at war with Miriam and Deedee the whole game (What? You don't like FM and Knowledge) but holding them off with my navy and airforce quite nicely, building away, get the nice combi of neutromium armour, AAA, Aerospace Centres, sensors, tachyon fields and elite troops in every base - I am invunerable. My interceptors protect the crawlers, and I get well ahead on tech. I'm just about to start on Secrets of Alpha Centauri, when Miriam drops a Planet Buster on University Base - no warning (we had a blood truce at the time) and completely destroys my whole faction. Bang - all gone. 3 Bases size 24+ and almost all the special projects up in flames........ and guess who has autosave turned off? Me, that's who.

I COULD KILL MIRIAM WITH MY BARE HANDS I AM SO ANGRY WITH HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME IN SMAC EVER!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I just thought I'd tell everyone again - you can never be sure you've won - build those damm ODPs or you'll end up like me.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 4, 2003, 14:33   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 20:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: My unbelievable HATRED for Miriam
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
I am invunerable.
-Jam

I love it that a game can elicit such emotion.

AS for getting PB'd, I sympathyze in a sense but didn't you notice her building a PB . . . and don't tell me you didn't bother to at least infiltrate those factions that had bases nearby

Always watch the AI !! and personally I will build at least 2 ODPs as soon as the tech is available
Old June 4, 2003, 15:27   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I was playing on a custom 128x128 map - there's no way to keep track of who's building what (and thanks to my friends Lal, Morgan and the cloning vats I was PG so I had infilteration) but I really should have built some pods. But with only 3 bases, there's ALWAYS something "more important" to build.

-Jam
Old June 4, 2003, 15:57   #4
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 22:59

JFk to Khrushchev - We're serious, we're gonna quarantine Cuba, and if you fire a nuke, we'll destroy you completely with our nukes.

Khruschev to JFk - could you let me save first??
Old June 4, 2003, 17:58   #5
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
I was playing on a custom 128x128 map - there's no way to keep track of who's building what (and thanks to my friends Lal, Morgan and the cloning vats I was PG so I had infilteration) but I really should have built some pods. But with only 3 bases, there's ALWAYS something "more important" to build.

-Jam
Well-- there wasn't anything more important to build this time

seriously though-- if its the Painn in the behind factor that keeps you from checking infiltration on other factions, just use the F7 screen. It shows all the units they have and are building. A 10 second scroll per faction would let you confirm the PB status. Their icons are pretty distinctive and if you see one you can use the F4 screen to find it. The AI is lousy at rushing stuff so you would likely have plenty of warning that a PB is being built.
Old June 4, 2003, 18:06   #6
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Sorry, Jam, but I place the blame for your untimely demise squarely on your own shoulders:

1) Always, always, ALWAYS thoroughly probe any faction you're at war with. You're at war with them, so there's nothing to be lost by taking all their maps and techs. This way, you will remain abreast of each and every suprise they are cooking for you.

2) If you're not conquering someone, don't stay at war with them. Obviously if you don't have the capacity to defeat your opponent, don't initiate an invasion you can't follow up, but when you're sitting on a huge tech and production lead, you need to use it. A quick way to extract a ceasefire/treaty from a truculent neighbor is to capture a city or two, then return them for quick bumps in attitude. Or better yet, subjugate Mimi completely, and start raking in trade from submissives.

3) You had teched up to SPACE FLIGHT, and yet only had 3 bases? Sorry, but there's simply no excuse for not at _least_ founding enough bases to get your first bureaucracy warning. And now you know why.
Old June 4, 2003, 18:24   #7
Flubber
Deity

Ceo Aaron

I understood that

1. he only had 3 bases as he was playing the ngame as a challenge for himself. I assume he decided to limit himself to those 3 bases

2. he was governor and therefore had infiltration but just DID NOT TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK.
Old June 4, 2003, 18:26   #8
Jamski
Deity

Like Flubber says... AND I NEARLY MADE MY CHALLENGE DAMMIT I just got impatient.

-Jam
Old June 4, 2003, 19:14   #9
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Like Flubber says... AND I NEARLY MADE MY CHALLENGE DAMMIT I just got impatient.

-Jam
and next time you will make it.. You'll just spend the extra second to check things out
Old June 4, 2003, 22:38   #10
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Two Suns in the Sunset......

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 4, 2003, 22:58   #11
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

Ah, I didn't notice that. My bad. Still, any mistake you learn from is better than the mistakes you don't.
Old June 4, 2003, 23:29   #12
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 16:59
Another one tastes the Believer Planet Buster!

I've had so many instances where she's 'bustered my a** that it makes me sick. The best incident was where I put all my Special Projects in The Hive (capital) just to be cute and say that living in my capital is the best. Little did I realise that she had a "hidden" base in my territory and sent me a little Believer "gift-package" right at my capital.

You should have seen the power graph bottom out under me when it hit. Capital with ALL my SP's, a sizeable chunk of my military,and some additional bases as well.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old June 5, 2003, 04:28   #13
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

The truce should have been a dead giveaway she was about to PB you. She likes to get lovey-dovey before she does the deed.
Old June 5, 2003, 04:44   #14
Jamski
Deity

Lovey-dovey with Mim

*shudders*

-Jam
Old June 5, 2003, 05:29   #15
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 22:59
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Infiltrator: Mr. Jamski, there is a bright orange pillar in the middle of the main courtyard in New Jerusalem!

Jamski: Probably just another of that witch's accursed phallic idols.

Infiltrator: But they painted down its side "Dear Mr. Jamski: May the Fires of Hell be some small comfort."
Old June 5, 2003, 08:27   #16
Flare
Chieftain

Ohhhh, that is a good one, gwillybj!!!

Poor, poor, Jamski. Remember, the best defence is a good offence! Better luck next time.
Old June 5, 2003, 09:04   #17
Haon
ACDG The Human HiveMacAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

What surprises me, is that Mimi even got the TECH required to get a PB, that is quite shocking.
Old June 5, 2003, 10:13   #18
Flare
Chieftain

If someone trades with her or techsteal is on, that can happen.

"What do you mean we just traded Gravity guns with Miriam?"
Old June 5, 2003, 10:14   #19
Flare
Chieftain

Besides, Planet Buster come at Orbital Spaceflight. It is not that hard to get there, even for Miriam.