Old June 5, 2003, 07:54   #31
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Er... I dunno, can we give you one now and find out?

We've got both kinds
Old June 5, 2003, 08:15   #32
Daz
Prince

Local Time: 03:00
or you could let us talk to your gf about the matter...
Attached Images:

Old June 5, 2003, 13:13   #33
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 05:00
Daniel generally sleeps in at 7PM instantly when put to bed (except for today: I put him to bed some 20min. ago and he still goes "njeanjeanjea" in this really annoying steadiness only babies can do), mainly because he just refuses to go to sleep during the day, unless driving in the car.
Whether or not to "just let them cry" depends on the caracter of the baby. Once Daniel was already extremely tired in the early afternoon but we didn't plan to drive around, so I just put him in his bed. He just refused, he was constantly turning around and standing up in his bed again, so I put him back in sleeping position again in some intervals. He did that for over an hour and finally we took him out of his bed, while I had to go to bed after that...
Old June 5, 2003, 13:16   #34
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 03:00
You can make them go to bed at five without any pacifier... It's called peppermint schnoppz...
Old June 5, 2003, 13:17   #35
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"He just refused, he was constantly turning around and standing up in his bed again, so I put him back in sleeping position again in some intervals."

Whenever Sophie does that, we just ignore her. "Deal with it kid, your parents are taking 4:00-4:30 off" is pretty much our attitude.
Old June 5, 2003, 13:19   #36
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Has Sophie got a security blanket or favorite dolly or stuffy toy?"

Yeah, she's got all that. Sometimes she sleeps with her baby-doll, sometimes with Barney, all the time with a little bear that has been in her "bed" since she was a wee one.
Old June 5, 2003, 13:36   #37
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
Soak the pacifier in vinegar. It's harmless and let's your baby be in control of getting rid of it.
Old June 5, 2003, 14:13   #38
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If Sophie doesn't do well, we'll try that. Good idea! (especially compared to the idea of wiping it on Mr. Fun's bunghole. :retch: )
Old June 5, 2003, 15:20   #39
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
Alcohol (beer) works too (at least shorterm )
Old June 5, 2003, 15:33   #40
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

None of that in our house. Both the wife and I are allergic to alcohol. (At least I know I am. Laura claims to be, but I've seen her drink wine before. The lush.)
Old June 5, 2003, 15:34   #41
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

According to Laura, Sophie had no problem going down for her morning nap w/o the pacifier. Fingers are crossed...
Old June 5, 2003, 17:56   #42
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
If Sophie is anything like I was, it will be easier to get her to recite Shakespear in Swedish than it will be to get rid of her dummy/pacifier. Once my mum finally got me off it, I turned around and used a stuffed toy as a replacement. I still have it, a little cloth lizard. So many memories. Sometimes, it's the only thing that makes the pain bearable.....

That lizard is also part of a story of international theft and smuggling but that's another day.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old June 5, 2003, 18:40   #43
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:00
Gee, Starchild not wanting to give up sucking on something. What a shock!
Old June 5, 2003, 18:43   #44
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 20:00
Old June 6, 2003, 05:39   #45
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Oh look, Boris is back! Someone finally managed to pry him away from a K-Mart.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old June 6, 2003, 06:10   #46
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:00
I don't think my parents gave me a pacifier when I was a baby. I did always have something to carry around though, like measuring cups that all fit inside each other, or lego people.
Old June 6, 2003, 06:13   #47
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I had a piece of blanket which had that shiny sily stuff on it. I couldn't sleep without it until i was about 7
Old June 7, 2003, 13:00   #48
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
My parents used a very devious trick to get my pacifier away from me (I was addicted, I admit it--I had a problem and had not given it over to my Higher Power) at about the age of 4. The told me at Christmas time that Santa needed it for some other godforsaken kid. I guess I gave it up, reluctantly of course, but if I had only known that it was merely the first chapter in a long and sordid story of material goods used for emotional manipulation by them, I may have stood my ground.

My son had a pretty bad cold or pneumonia or something when he was about 10 months old and we just took it away since he couldn't breath properly (kind of like quitting smoking when you're too sick to enjoy it--not that I've ever been that sick, mind you!) and he didn't seem to mind too much.
Switching bottles for tip cups has been a bit more of a challenge however, but he's such an agreeable lad that it hasn't been too tough. Who can blame him for fighting the revocation of nipple?!?
He's getting to be a bit of a pill at bedtime though...I end up falling asleep on the bed with him and waking up with a teddy bear on my face and a book jammed into my spine.
Can't wait to see how Zane reacts to all of this...he's a horse of a different color altoghether...very gassy and cranky, like his mother!
never neglectful, never indulgent.